Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2013, 02:20 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,480,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Smoking is permitted in an establishment that is only a 'bar' and reports less than 10% of its gross receipts from 'food'. If you don't like 'smoke', go to a restaurant that has a bar like Applebee's, Chili's, where smoking is not permitted.
When I first saw this thread - I thought it was ancient. Because apparently no one had - before you posted - actually read the law (never let the facts get in the way of a good fight!). Up here in the greater JAX metro area - where we probably have more smokers than in other parts of the state - there are very few bars that seek an exemption from the smoking law under this rule. And those that do usually don't serve any food at all (apart from something like a free bowl of peanuts). OTOH - you're welcome to order in a pizza at most of these places. On the third hand - any bar owner is free to ban smoking in his/her establishment even if the establishment serves zero food. The law allows smoking under these circumstances - but doesn't mandate it.

Also - if an establishment doesn't come under this exemption - IIRC - it can (at least under state law) - but is not required to - allow smoking on an outdoor patio that isn't enclosed or covered with an awning or similar. We don't have a whole lot of places like that - if for no other reason than it's hot in the summer - and we get cool/sometimes cold in the winter. So the overall demand for outdoor dining doesn't justify building outside places. And many places that do have outdoor dining don't allow smoking - even outside.

Now I happen to smoke. But I'm not going to get in an argument about health or politics or anything like that. All I can tell you is there are darn few drinking/dining places here that I frequent where I can have a cigarette - inside or out. The only one I've been to in perhaps the last year is a newer trendy restaurant in a trendy part of town that seems to have a relatively large gay clientele. OTOH - I didn't eat on the patio (it was 90+ degrees outside - I preferred being cool to smoking ).

So what parts of the state are you people talking about? What kinds of places? In my part of the world - this is a typical smoking bar - not the kind of place that's my cup of tea :

Landmark Legend: Pete's Bar | firstcoastnews.com

Robyn

P.S. To those aggrieved people who are going to bars where smoking is allowed - and where you think the law is being broken - turn them in!

Last edited by Robyn55; 07-21-2013 at 02:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 02:54 PM

4 posts, read 4,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Now I happen to smoke. But I'm not going to get in an argument about health or politics or anything like that. All I can tell you is there are darn few drinking/dining places here that I frequent where I can have a cigarette - inside or out.
You should visit Houston, TX. It's legal to smoke in restaurants in Harris County.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:36 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
No!

Why should I have to stop doing something that I love because some people in this world (smokers) want to kill others with their disgusting habit?

When we go to public places, our lungs shouldn't be at the mercy of others.

And when we go places our ears should not be at the whining, crying, complaining mercy of non smokers who KNOW THERE WILL BE SMOKING GOING ON IN THE CLUB THEY VOLUNTARILY WALKED INTO.

Go to A DIFFERENT NON SMOKING CLUB!!!!!!!!!!!

Cripes, already, I don't go into non smoking environments and complain that I cannot smoke. It really does not bother me much either way, I can always go outside and have a cigarette you on the other hand cannot go anywhere it seems without complaining about something. I bet outside is too polluted for you as well isn't it? So, do you drive a vehicle? Are YOU part of the pollution problem? Do you have trash? Are you part of the noxious gases that emit from landfills problem? If you are then YOU NEED TO STOP doing all of that because YOU are ENDANGERING MY HEALTH with YOUR DISGUSTING TRASH and vehicle POLLUTION.

Do you smoke pot? Do you take any sort of medication that "could" alter your reflexes and thought process (ie: cold medication, other legal prescriptions drugs, illegal narcotics?). If you do then YOU NEED TO STOP doing that because YOU are endangering MY SAFETY when you do that crap THEN get behind the wheel of YOUR VEHICLE and drive.

Do YOU consume alcohol at clubs THEN DRIVE HOME? Do you consume alcohol then walk home? Do you consume alcohol then go out to eat? If you do then you had better STOP because YOU are endangering my health and safety when you do all of that because I do NOT KNOW "when you will SNAP" from the effects of those things.

Do you pour grease or any other form of liquid that is contaminated down your sink? If you do you had better stop doing that because YOU are endangering MY HEALTH because the clog from all YOUR CRAP "might" cause MY SYSTEM to back up because of all of your DISGUSTING HABITS.

I should SUE YOU for endangering my health and safety just because YOU BREATH and LIVE LIFE DAILY doing all of the things that most other humans do.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:36 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,480,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23s15thGhost View Post
You should visit Houston, TX. It's legal to smoke in restaurants in Harris County.
I've never gotten as far as the restaurants because I can't find a luxury hotel in Houston these days (have been there before) that allows smoking! Last time we were in Texas (vacation) we stayed at the Four Seasons Austin (smoking allowed) - and had the best BBQ we ever had in our lives in Lockhart (fatty beef brisket). Can't remember whether or not the places in Lockhart allowed smoking (at least smoking of the cigarette kind ). Didn't matter. Amazing BBQ.

So maybe I can start another fight here - Texas (beef) BBQ versus SE (pork) BBQ ? Robyn

Old 07-21-2013, 03:43 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,744,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
I'm bumping this thread because it is still a relevant issue! I went out last night with friends and was once again subjected to the horrid air created by smokers in the bars. SHAME on you people who do this to others! If I wasn't leaving this state next month then I would start or join a movement to ban the smoking in Florida bars.
So you're OK with people turning their livers into rocks and then going home and beating their wives. But for Christ's sake don't smoke.

If you don't like what happens in taverns stay out of them. I think people like you are just interested in controlling others and making a public display of your virtue, a New Age Cotton Mather.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:44 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,518,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
So you're OK with people turning their livers into rocks and then going home and beating their wives. But for Christ's sake don't smoke.

If you don't like what happens in taverns stay out of them. I think people like you are just interested in controlling others and making a public display of your virtue, a New Age Cotton Mather.
Someone drinking next to me does me no harm at a business.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:48 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,019,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23s15thGhost View Post
According to Wikipedia, Houston has a ban on smoking in bars as well as restaurants:
List of smoking bans in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I would support it as well. However, alcohol and smoking go hand in hand..
That's not true, at least here in AZ. We have a statewide ban in bars and restaurants, and yet the bars are packed. You should see downtown Scottsdale or Mill Ave in Tempe on a weekend night. The smokers just step outside for their fix, that's all. Believe it or not there are adults who want to go out for some drinks and listen to live music, and not come home wheezing and stinking of cigarettes.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Someone drinking next to me does me no harm at a business.
I been in plenty of joints where the people drinking next to me were plenty harmful.

But that aside I doubt the smoker next to you is doing you as much harm as you're doing to yourself by drinking. And sometimes it's proper to tolerate others behavior even if it might be a little harmful, at least in taverns.

This issue also raises the question of why anti smoking laws usually apply to ALL taverns and don't give people a choice so that non smokers could have their joints and smokers have theirs (which sometimes happens anyway on the sly). Nah, it's as much about finger wagging schoolmarms forcing their values on others as it is about health, otherwise the anti smokers wouldn't be drinking.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:59 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,518,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I been in plenty of joints where the people drinking next to me were plenty harmful.

But that aside I doubt the smoker next to you is doing you as much harm as you're doing to yourself by drinking. And sometimes it's proper to tolerate others behavior even if it might be a little harmful, at least in taverns.

This issue also raises the question of why anti smoking laws usually apply to ALL taverns and don't give people a choice so that non smokers could have their joints and smokers have theirs (which sometimes happens anyway on the sly). Nah, it's as much about finger wagging schoolmarms forcing their values on others as it is about health, otherwise the anti smokers wouldn't be drinking.
Second hand smoke is less problematic than a couple drinks a week? Ok... You can kill yourself smoking for all I care. There should be smoking only bars if an owner wants one.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
You should see downtown Scottsdale or Mill Ave in Tempe on a weekend night. The smokers just step outside for their fix, that's all. Believe it or not there are adults who want to go out for some drinks and listen to live music, and not come home wheezing and stinking of cigarettes.
That's downtown in entertainment and tourist joints. But what about neighborhood taverns where the regulars want to relax, drink a few shots and beers and talk about the White Sox? Why should their local culture be intruded upon by bourgeois tastemakers who'll never set foot in their neighborhood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida