Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 07:05 AM

48 posts, read 100,831 times

Advertisements

Thanks Kyle, I just wrote all those neighborhoods down in my travel notebook so I can be sure to check them out.

If anyone has further suggestions, I'm all ears!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 08:04 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,975,543 times
A good rule of thumb is north of Central Avenue. If you go south of Central, you start getting into some sketchy areas (not including south Pasadena).

Old 05-23-2013, 09:23 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,026,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojitoMe View Post
I keep seeing that St. Petersburg/Tampa are high on the hurricane danger list. I'd like to avoid being in an area that is likely to get hit by severe hurricanes. Any suggestions that are a little inland?
Where did you find this nonsense and what list? There is no such thing.

Hurricanes can travel hundreds of miles inland and the damage they do is from rain, flood and wind. Being from the northeast you should know that no area has a higher or lower chance of being hit by a hurricane.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:05 AM

17,484 posts, read 38,915,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post

Hurricanes can travel hundreds of miles inland and the damage they do is from rain, flood and wind. Being from the northeast you should know that no area has a higher or lower chance of being hit by a hurricane.
Exactly. ^^ Not to mention that sometimes hurricanes can actually be larger than the ENTIRE STATE! And even if they only "pass by" there can still be considerable damage.

That said, almost everywhere in the country has some type of natural disasters that have a chance of occuring, there is NO PLACE that 100% escapes Mother Nature's wrath. I am a Florida native, several decades old; I've seen a few. You can't worry about this stuff, look, it even happened in the NE last year, as was mentioned above.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:09 AM

24 posts, read 31,159 times
Some very useful advice in this thread for a hopefully-near-future-FL-resident.

Thanks!

Old 05-23-2013, 11:24 AM

26,941 posts, read 43,449,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
A good rule of thumb is north of Central Avenue. If you go south of Central, you start getting into some sketchy areas (not including south Pasadena).
Not true. Roser Park, Old Southeast, Tropical Shores, Bahama Shores, Pinellas Point and Lakewood Estates aren't anywhere near sketchy.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Do an internet search for anything resembling "areas most prone to hurricanes" without even specifying Florida, and about a million hits will come up mentioning the Tampa Bay area. Here are links to the first four:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Hurricane City ranking of cities and islands

Top 5 Hurricane Vulnerable & Overdue Cities - weather.com

http://www.ihc.fiu.edu/media/docs/10...able_Areas.pdf

Last edited by Yac; 05-28-2013 at 06:41 AM..

Old 05-23-2013, 03:08 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,709,214 times
That first link puts Tampa as riskier than the northern Gulf Coast, which is utterly silly if you look at where storms have gone over the past 30-40 years. And then describes the Tampa area as having gotten 'hit' by Frances, which had made landfall clear on the other side of the state and wasn't much by the point Tampa was getting rain from it.

I'd put greater Tampa as the second least hurricane prone part of the state after Jacksonville. But with a caveat that, like anything from Maine to Corpus Christi, it eventually will get by a hurricane again, and when it does, there are some pretty heavily populated area in really bad areas from a surge map perspective. Example- South Tampa, as nice as it is, is a place I'd never buy a house because or how it site on the surge maps.

Old 05-23-2013, 03:49 PM

Not being a local, I'd have no way to know what the actual impact of Frances was really like, so I appreciate the input.

I'm going to try to dig up some surge maps to get a better sense.

Old 05-23-2013, 03:53 PM

443 posts, read 556,063 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida