Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2013, 07:58 PM

84 posts, read 167,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Had to cut my 4-mile run today at the 3-mile mark. Anyone know if there's more humidity out there today - usually I have more energy during my runs.
It feels way more humid lately. I am going out and getting drenched in sweat, and I don't usually sweat that much. I don't feel like it really cuts my energy level though -- are you drinking lots of water before you go out? I find that having a glass before I hit the pavement helps me when I'm out running.

I cut my run short tonight on account of a bunch of lightning. It was perfectly fine when I headed out. I checked the radar and everything. Then all of a sudden I was running my paranoid heart out to get home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 08:41 PM

677 posts, read 933,950 times
I've read several posters make the remarks that they've left the north east because of "too many gray & cloudy day's, I need sunshine", well I just can't for the life of me comprehend how anyone can endure relentless heat & humidity for 7-9 months out of the yr. Up here in the north east we are currently experiencing a heat wave, temps 90-97* with high humidity for this week alone, & this is just mid summer for us. I absolutely hate it, I'll take gray & cloudy days any day over a over bearing sun beating down on top my head, sweating profusely, feeling exhausted from being drained by the heat. I hate to see the summer come. It forces me to hibernate & limit activities, I feel the hot temps are good for 1 thing only & that's going to the beach, end of the line. And before some of you retaliate with it beats ice & snow, well maybe, depending on how often & how much ice & snow We haven't had ice & snow for the past 2 yrs & when we get it it's usually minor though maybe once during the winter you may get hit with a blizzard or a ice storm, but it's not the norm for this particular region; NJ, eastern PA, DE, MD, VA & even rarer in the Carolina's. Yes it gets cold here, most winter can get very cold but it hasn't the past 2 winters which were pleasant. How do you tolerate intense heat, how can you live in such a climate & be content with it? Don't tell me you learn to acclimate, sorry not buying it, no such thing as acclimating to extremities since the human body can only take so much. Going to the beach can get old like anything else, so what else is there, does having a never ending tan really mean that much? We've got about 2 more months of this bs then it'll start to cool down, thank God. My comments are not a attack on FL so please don't take it that way, it's just a rant, nothing more, nothing less.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:56 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
I'm over this summer. Its been too friggin rainy. It seems to be cloudy and wet everyday, most of the day. Previous years had always been nice and sunny until about 3pm, than the clouds would roll in.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:07 AM

443 posts, read 558,627 times
I love all this rain. Nice change of pace. I don't need constant sunshine like some of the lizard people who live here.

The worst is hearing all the whining and moaning from the locals whenever the sun's not out.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:20 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,899,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySpice View Post
I've read several posters make the remarks that they've left the north east because of "too many gray & cloudy day's, I need sunshine", well I just can't for the life of me comprehend how anyone can endure relentless heat & humidity for 7-9 months out of the yr. Up here in the north east we are currently experiencing a heat wave, temps 90-97* with high humidity for this week alone, & this is just mid summer for us. I absolutely hate it, I'll take gray & cloudy days any day over a over bearing sun beating down on top my head, sweating profusely, feeling exhausted from being drained by the heat. I hate to see the summer come. It forces me to hibernate & limit activities, I feel the hot temps are good for 1 thing only & that's going to the beach, end of the line. And before some of you retaliate with it beats ice & snow, well maybe, depending on how often & how much ice & snow We haven't had ice & snow for the past 2 yrs & when we get it it's usually minor though maybe once during the winter you may get hit with a blizzard or a ice storm, but it's not the norm for this particular region; NJ, eastern PA, DE, MD, VA & even rarer in the Carolina's. Yes it gets cold here, most winter can get very cold but it hasn't the past 2 winters which were pleasant. How do you tolerate intense heat, how can you live in such a climate & be content with it? Don't tell me you learn to acclimate, sorry not buying it, no such thing as acclimating to extremities since the human body can only take so much. Going to the beach can get old like anything else, so what else is there, does having a never ending tan really mean that much? We've got about 2 more months of this bs then it'll start to cool down, thank God. My comments are not a attack on FL so please don't take it that way, it's just a rant, nothing more, nothing less.
Having lived up and down the east coast, I can easily clarify.

The majority of the year here in the Tampa Bay area does not have high heat or humidity.

Also, during the summer here, you can just about bank on 90 degrees +/- 2 degrees. We don't typically get the high heat that can be found at times east of the appalachians and in the northeast and especially in the southwest. Our seabreezes here in the Tampa Bay area really help moderate things and make it feel cooler to the skin.

Put it this way. I have lived up and down the east coast, among many other places and I have had to use air conditioning in my truck in Massachusetts, North Carolina, Texas, etc during the summer many times. I have yet to use air conditioning in my truck here in the Tampa Bay area, except for when it is pouring outside and I cannot roll down the windows. It is incredibly comfortable here in the summer. We often dine outside, because it is so comfortable......over here by the coast.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:01 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,822,567 times
Quote:
The short answer is, everyone has their priorities and likes/dislikes when it comes to what makes them happy.

Personally, and I was just talking about this last night with someone after I moaned about the very same heatwave you mentioned, I want to see sunshine and lots of it. Is right now gross and uncomfortable? Yep. At humidities in the 80's percentile (somewhere I saw 105% but can't remember if that was my town or elsewhere nearby) it zaps your energy. But...the only reason I'm complaining is because where I live there is no central AC and I only have one window one for my bedroom so basically, when I'm home, it's where I spend all my time, lol. I have no problem being outdoors in this weather and it makes for a nicer beach day.

I am so tired of the crappy weather up north here and having to jam all the things I like to do/visit/play, etc. into 3 months (since everything closes up come Labor Day weekend). But again, that is only my humble opinion.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinecc View Post
The short answer is, everyone has their priorities and likes/dislikes when it comes to what makes them happy.

Personally, and I was just talking about this last night with someone after I moaned about the very same heatwave you mentioned, I want to see sunshine and lots of it. Is right now gross and uncomfortable? Yep. At humidities in the 80's percentile (somewhere I saw 105% but can't remember if that was my town or elsewhere nearby) it zaps your energy. But...the only reason I'm complaining is because where I live there is no central AC and I only have one window one for my bedroom so basically, when I'm home, it's where I spend all my time, lol. I have no problem being outdoors in this weather and it makes for a nicer beach day.

I am so tired of the crappy weather up north here and having to jam all the things I like to do/visit/play, etc. into 3 months (since everything closes up come Labor Day weekend). But again, that is only my humble opinion.
You will love it much more down here. We don't get that gross and uncomfortable feeling. Everything is moderated by the seabreeze and it feels oh so good.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:17 AM

484 posts, read 761,169 times
Quote:

Acclimation is certainly real, just everyone has their own personal comfort level. I am from CT, but after living here for quite some time - I have a jacket on at 75*. *shrugs*

Old 07-16-2013, 06:31 AM

443 posts, read 558,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
You will love it much more down here. We don't get that gross and uncomfortable feeling. Everything is moderated by the seabreeze and it feels oh so good.
Yes, "we" do unless "we" live on the coast, which most uf "us" don't.

Last edited by Sunscape; 07-17-2013 at 07:52 AM..

Old 07-16-2013, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigtnelson View Post
Yes, "we" do unless "we" live on the coast, which most uf "us" don't. Stop feeding nonsense into the heads of newcomers.
We each speak from our own persepctive and experiences. After having lived in places much much hotter, just as, if not more, humid and no seabreeze, the Tampa Bay area is absolutely fantastic and comfortable to me! We are outside all the time, enjoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida