Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 11:47 PM

5 posts, read 6,855 times

Advertisements

I currently live in NYC and I've decide to move to Florida with my family and just start over my life. I have a few friends living in Florida in certain parts. I can't decided where in Florida to live, I've been looking in the area of Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Jacksonville and maybe Orland... I need to live in an area that is somewhat inexpensive to live (apartment wise), that has good schools and some form of transportation till I get a car.
I have seen that Miami and Jacksonville have some form of transportation and some in Ft. Lauderdale. But I need a bit of help to help me decide where to live.
Please no negative calls lets try and keep it good here I just need help deciding where to live and planning on moving before end of this year. Thanks.. Jae
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 05:42 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Of the cities mentioned Miami-Ft Lauderdale would be your best bet, especially in terms of public transit. The Pembroke Pines area offers very good schools and is somewhat affordable as well.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:29 AM

14 posts, read 18,090 times
Oviedo and Seminole schools near tuskawilla the absolute best

From schools to home costs!

Old 05-24-2013, 09:32 AM

5 posts, read 6,855 times
See I was really looking in that area Miami-Ft. Lauderdale as for Public Transportation, schools and affordable places to live, but since I've never been to these areas I had to ask others opinions and see what comes up. I have friends that lives in Jacksonville but that was like my last resort, I have one good friend that lives in the Keys but there is no transportation there and another friend that lives in Pembroke Pines so its just sways more my decision to move more to Miami-Ft. Lauderdale.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:55 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,379,501 times
I wouldn't send my kids to Miami-Ft Lauderdale schools...with that being said Boca Raton is a great family place with very good schools...However its not inexpensive to live... Jacksonville is not as Tropical and my moms friend teaches in pembrook pines for over 20 years and I wouldn't send my kids there either....Good Luck

Old 05-24-2013, 10:33 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae70 View Post
See I was really looking in that area Miami-Ft. Lauderdale as for Public Transportation, schools and affordable places to live, but since I've never been to these areas I had to ask others opinions and see what comes up. I have friends that lives in Jacksonville but that was like my last resort, I have one good friend that lives in the Keys but there is no transportation there and another friend that lives in Pembroke Pines so its just sways more my decision to move more to Miami-Ft. Lauderdale.
I lived in South Florida and I definitely wouldn't live in Miami with kids. Jacksonville is full of rednecks and doesn't have that tropical feeling, so I'd cross it out personally. There are districts you can live in Florida without a car for a short period of time, but there isn't a city that a person can truly live comfortable without a car. Miami Beach comes to mind, but even then, it is nothing like Chicago, NYC, Boston, San Francisco etc.

What is your budget because coming from NYC, even cities like Boca Raton should feel dirt cheap in comparison.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:20 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,379,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I lived in South Florida and I definitely wouldn't live in Miami with kids. Jacksonville is full of rednecks and doesn't have that tropical feeling, so I'd cross it out personally. There are districts you can live in Florida without a car for a short period of time, but there isn't a city that a person can truly live comfortable without a car. Miami Beach comes to mind, but even then, it is nothing like Chicago, NYC, Boston, San Francisco etc.

What is your budget because coming from NYC, even cities like Boca Raton should feel dirt cheap in comparison.
that depends..we lived in NYC as that is where we are from...Lived in NJ for 10 years and moving to South florida the cost of living was exactly the same for us except for the Property Taxes, Florida's Property Taxes are less than NJ..Now the further north into Florida the less expensive it gets...

You can do a cost of living comparison and you will find there isnt much of a difference...and Salaries are much less in Florida than up North...Home Owners Insurance I would think would be more in florida too because of the Hurricanes

Old 05-24-2013, 02:38 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
that depends..we lived in NYC as that is where we are from...Lived in NJ for 10 years and moving to South florida the cost of living was exactly the same for us except for the Property Taxes, Florida's Property Taxes are less than NJ..Now the further north into Florida the less expensive it gets...

You can do a cost of living comparison and you will find there isnt much of a difference...and Salaries are much less in Florida than up North...Home Owners Insurance I would think would be more in florida too because of the Hurricanes
Isn't the OP moving from NYC? NYC is more expensive than any part of Florida.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:10 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,692,068 times
dude u cray for thinkin about coming down to FL without a car.

No where in FL like NYC in terms of public transportation. At best Miami has a monorail and city buses, same with broward county, which is where Ft. Lauderdale is located, but you'll be connecting to kingdom come and back to get anywhere....-- once u arrive u realize how unrealistic NOT having a car is.

I live in Ft. Lauderdale now and could not function without a car. If u want affordable, yet not some ghetto crap area-- check out Coral Springs, Coconut Creek, Pompano Beach, etc... They're decent areas-- tho with those cities themselves there are some dicey areas as well, but in a broad sense they're pretty OK.

I mean, u get what u pay for. The more you're willing to shell out on rent the better schools and neighborhoods you'll be in.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:30 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,934,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Isn't the OP moving from NYC? NYC is more expensive than any part of Florida.
This ^^

We moved down from NYC via NJ and it's much MUCH cheaper to live down here.

But OP - The public transport sucks. Well at least over here in Sarasota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida