Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 10:20 PM

895 posts, read 1,703,456 times

Advertisements

This is yet another rant post about South Florida. Read on if you please, but if you're not interested please do not criticize me for blowing off some steam.
For one thing it was a mistake of epic proportions for my Dad to retire at forty nine. There was no reasoning behind this except for my Dads hedonistic fantasy of golphing during the week and basically leading a sedentary lifestyle. So rather than staying in Connecticut, where he could get good broadway deals in a minute, had great connections in the city, etc, he chooses to retire early to a dinky island on southwest florida. On top of this, adequate research was not conducted which led me into a very difficult spot with schooling. If you are wondering why this is, look up "charlotte county schools," and you will see what I'm talking about.
Anyway, I end up in this retirement community with just over a thousand residents. There is absolutely no amenities and the "town" itself comes down on any corporation interested in buying land (I.e) subway with an iron fist. So basically, the isolationist mentality is encouraged and none of the hundred year old residents have any desire for vibrancy. The only entertainment necessary in geezerville is staring at the flat ocean for hours on end.
The degree to which this environment breeds unhealthy behavior has become crystal clear to me recently. I'm eighteen, and guess you could say that I have done quite a bit of introspection over the past two years. I realize that every single person in the 14-18 generation, as well as the 18-22 generation, has at one point become immersed in a psuedo party scene that essentially involves drinking whiskey from the bottle, smoking a few joints and staring at the wall. The fact that there is literally nothing to do except talk to grandpa down the road about WWII is the reason for this. Someone like me, who is not necessarily a big partier and who values creative/intellectual pursuits over mindless hedonism is truly up sh!ts creek. I literally speak to nobody all day most the time except for my mother when she emerges from the basement to grab a diet coke while at work. The only place I have even remotely interesting discussions is on this forum.
Lack of industry/redneck/sedentary/civilly devoid mentality/lack of/horrific amenities/crime in some spots/belligerent attitude/lack of young people/jimmy buffet garbage basically sums up what kills me about living around here. Good news is I'm off to college in seattle soon where I will actually be able to enjoy the company of intelligent young people and talk about current affairs/music/arts/etc. I will genuinely be beyond greatful when the first day of school arrives.
Please do not berate me for being self pitying/having trivial concerns/being ungreatful/etc. I am not interested in a moral lecture here. In conclusion, don't raise your kids here, please. Stay in the northeast or wherever you're from because in the long run your child will be happier. Think of FL as a vacation spot, nothing more.
- Ranting Reed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 10:38 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,183,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
This is yet another rant post about South Florida. Read on if you please, but if you're not interested please do not criticize me for blowing off some steam.
For one thing it was a mistake of epic proportions for my Dad to retire at forty nine. There was no reasoning behind this except for my Dads hedonistic fantasy of golphing during the week and basically leading a sedentary lifestyle. So rather than staying in Connecticut, where he could get good broadway deals in a minute, had great connections in the city, etc, he chooses to retire early to a dinky island on southwest florida. On top of this, adequate research was not conducted which led me into a very difficult spot with schooling. If you are wondering why this is, look up "charlotte county schools," and you will see what I'm talking about.
Anyway, I end up in this retirement community with just over a thousand residents. There is absolutely no amenities and the "town" itself comes down on any corporation interested in buying land (I.e) subway with an iron fist. So basically, the isolationist mentality is encouraged and none of the hundred year old residents have any desire for vibrancy. The only entertainment necessary in geezerville is staring at the flat ocean for hours on end.
The degree to which this environment breeds unhealthy behavior has become crystal clear to me recently. I'm eighteen, and guess you could say that I have done quite a bit of introspection over the past two years. I realize that every single person in the 14-18 generation, as well as the 18-22 generation, has at one point become immersed in a psuedo party scene that essentially involves drinking whiskey from the bottle, smoking a few joints and staring at the wall. The fact that there is literally nothing to do except talk to grandpa down the road about WWII is the reason for this. Someone like me, who is not necessarily a big partier and who values creative/intellectual pursuits over mindless hedonism is truly up sh!ts creek. I literally speak to nobody all day most the time except for my mother when she emerges from the basement to grab a diet coke while at work. The only place I have even remotely interesting discussions is on this forum.
Lack of industry/redneck/sedentary/civilly devoid mentality/lack of/horrific amenities/crime in some spots/belligerent attitude/lack of young people/jimmy buffet garbage basically sums up what kills me about living around here. Good news is I'm off to college in seattle soon where I will actually be able to enjoy the company of intelligent young people and talk about current affairs/music/arts/etc. I will genuinely be beyond greatful when the first day of school arrives.
Please do not berate me for being self pitying/having trivial concerns/being ungreatful/etc. I am not interested in a moral lecture here. In conclusion, don't raise your kids here, please. Stay in the northeast or wherever you're from because in the long run your child will be happier. Think of FL as a vacation spot, nothing more.
- Ranting Reed
In your situation, who could blame you? Had your parents moved to some place in Florida more interesting, with more young people, you might feel a bit differently. But I do have empathy for your situation and even though I'm way older than you, I completely understand. Your parents have put you in a very difficult situation. And they'll probably put you in more in the future. That's just what parents do.

They say that Seattle is where young people go to retire, lol. All kidding aside, though, I'm sure you'll do well there. If you're really 18 (you sound older) you've got some major smarts and wisdom. What're ya gonna study in college? What are some of your goals? I'm from Connecticut, whereabouts did you used to live?

Really, your folks chose the wrong spot BIG TIME in Florida. They could've at least gone to Jupiter or Vero Beach or Sarasota or someplace like that.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:45 PM

You would have liked Sarasota, more arts & culture, smarter young folks, even has a tech company or two in the area. Get the heck out of Brevard! Can you get a summer gig somewhere, or knock around the country a little and see the sights?

Hey, if you don't mind my saying so, I'm really glad there are young folks like yourself around. Makes me feel hopeful for the future. Anyway, your parents can't be all bad if they've got a kid like you.

Old 05-26-2013, 05:21 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,174,381 times
1. Just questioning....what exactly does this have to do with Brevard County since you posted it in Brevard
Forum.

2. Be proud of your dad....he must have worked hard to be able to retire early at 49.

3. Are you enrolled for the summer semester so you can leave right after graduation?

4. If not.....Maybe you should do what I did.....also from a small town with nothing to do-only we used to joke that all there was to do was watch the corn grow.....Pack your car and take a road trip across the country before you start college or head to Europe,Australia, or wherever your dream destination is before you settle into college days.

5. Good luck and have some fun in Seattle.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:35 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,221,727 times
Charlotte County breaks another one. The difference in the east and west coasts of Florida can be quite shocking. Brevard County = surf trunks, bicycles and shell necklaces. Charlotte County = Speedos, Town Cars and gold chains

Old 05-26-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Charlotte County breaks another one. The difference in the east and west coasts of Florida can be quite shocking. Brevard County = surf trunks, bicycles and shell necklaces. Charlotte County = Speedos, Town Cars and gold chains
Lol, Speedos. Frequently worn by older men who should know better.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:57 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,450,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Hey, if you don't mind my saying so, I'm really glad there are young folks like yourself around. Makes me feel hopeful for the future. Anyway, your parents can't be all bad if they've got a kid like you.
Agreed

I feel for you OP... best of luck in Seattle and I agree with the other poster.. can you take a class over the summer? It'd give you something to do and get you out of the house?

Old 05-26-2013, 08:09 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
Duude, I feel you.
Likje other posters have said, perhaps if your parents had settled in a less podunk area of FL, u would have had a different experience? For example, Southeast Florida ie. Miami/Ft. Lauderdale may have given you a lot more opportunity to meet people like yourself. Also, could have provided you with some of the cultural amenities u were looking for like theatre, concerts, shows, educational pursuits, etc. Even more diversity in people....as southeast FL is younger overall.

Let's be honest here though. The entire state of Florida is somewhat of a cultual vaccuum when comapred to the northeast or Seattle...

However, wherever u end up, it is what u make of it. u should try and find happiness whevere u are.
Best of luck in Seattle and dont be surprised if u actually end up missing a bit of sunshine and warm weather in the middle of a Seattle winter ..... even if only for a fleeting 1-second.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
You would have liked Sarasota, more arts & culture, smarter young folks, even has a tech company or two in the area. Get the heck out of Brevard! Can you get a summer gig somewhere, or knock around the country a little and see the sights?

Thanks for your support. My parents lived in Wilton, CT when my Dad was managing a company in New York. He took a position in Atlanta afterwards, had me, and moved to Boca Grande, FL when I was three.
I am studying journalism at Seattle University with a minor in International Studies. I want to do a lot of work in foreign affairs and cover political conferences, wars, etc.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Don't forget confederate flags on the back of trucks, guy Harvey shirts, camouflage, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida