Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2013, 01:49 PM

1 posts, read 4,071 times

Advertisements

Please give me an idea of what it's like to live there. Just tell me anything you want. I've been there twice and love the old Florida charm and the dog friendliness and the wildlife and the walkability of it.

I don't mind that most houses are old and made of wood, I don't mind that there is no beach aside from the city park manmade beach. I don't mind that you have to travel far to the nearest Walmart or chain store.

One thing I do want to know is how is the cable and internet reception? At the place I stayed at, it wasn't very good, but that may not be true of the whole town.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 02:11 PM

166 posts, read 281,718 times
Deadsville, old people, nothing to do.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:41 AM

385 posts, read 1,112,339 times
If you want a peaceful, somewhat remote area, close to wildlife, it could be good. Not sure if you'd start to feel isolated after a while though.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:39 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,626,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corvidae View Post
If you want a peaceful, somewhat remote area, close to wildlife, it could be good. Not sure if you'd start to feel isolated after a while though.
She said she liked all of those things.

I loved to visit Cedar Key. Spent time there in the 80's-90's so it may have changed a lot since then. I liked that whole area, upon a time.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:50 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Not a local so cant address the social dynamics of the place.
Nice place to visit for an hour or two but i couldnt imagine living there full time. unless one was really into fishing and boating,
I suppose it would be fun to watch your dog chase all the wild cats.

Last edited by jambo101; 06-06-2013 at 02:22 AM..

Old 08-25-2014, 11:16 AM

1 posts, read 3,577 times
Cable, internet is not great. Houses are old and take years to fix up, you are too far from everything. Your house will get flooded and insurance is high. Just do not move to cedar key unless you are rich and want to fix up a historic house.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:12 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeywbe View Post
...and the dog friendliness...
Ahhh... nothing better than wiggling your toes in the sand... wait... what's that squishy feeling... <ehhhhrrrrrp>.

Dogs belong in the back yard.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:39 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,340,178 times
It ain't the dog. It's the irresponsible two legged companion.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:09 AM

2 posts, read 5,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowerme65 View Post
Cable, internet is not great. Houses are old and take years to fix up, you are too far from everything. Your house will get flooded and insurance is high. Just do not move to cedar key unless you are rich and want to fix up a historic house.
I am afraid that's true. I rented a charming little house but it has MAJOR structural problems and a horrible roof with doors that won't lock and water damage. It really is in bad shape, but it seems like the owners who tried to sell it and couldn't are overwhelmed. I feel for them and I still like it here, but I am SO glad I don't own it and have to worry about it.

It seems to me that Cedar Key is REALLY struggling. Some locals are really hateful. They made the choice to be here; sometimes I am afraid to go out and even look at anybody. I know some tourists can be annoying, but how do they expect to survive without welcoming tourists and renters?

Many more For Sale signs have gone up. A couple of houses I looked at years ago are still for sale and have switched to FSBOs - they have given up on their agents.

My favorite eatery is gone. My 2nd favorite eatery has new management, and they are already talking about how hellacious their job is.

Every time I come to Cedar Key two more businesses have closed down and two new ones have popped up.

I was just here six months ago and a new business opened and now it is already closed down!

Many locals I speak to strongly dissuade me from moving here, and yet I am still drawn to the place, but I guess I better just rent!

I know Cedar Key is 30 minutes from the nearest town, Chiefland, which only has a Walmart and a couple of chain restaurants and little else, and Gainesville is over an hour away, but it still seems like something else is going on here that threatens the town's survival, something more than its remoteness. A Chiefland local told me Cedar Key goes by its 'own code'.

Anyway, these are just my observations, and I've been here many times.

I wish some local had some further insights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida