Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 02:11 PM

78 posts, read 120,121 times

Advertisements

Hey guys. So I've been posting mostly on the Orlando area board and after several months of online research I thought I'd do a more broad call for suggestions. We will be moving to Florida from Maine in October '13. I work in hospitality with Hampton Inn and will be looking for another Hampton job down there. Hoping my boss will help me as she has connections in the Tampa area. It will be almost like transferring so I'll have something close to set up by the time we move. My mother is moving to the Villages a few months before us. And my husband will be looking for work as soon as we are down there, he works as a chef/cook. I've been honing my searches to the rural areas north/west of both Orlando(Mount Dora/Clermont) and Tampa(Palm Harbor/Dunedin) as their rents seem reasonable. I just wanted to ask you guys if you had any other suggestions. Here are our list of wants/needs.

Quiet area but only an hour or two drive to the city.
No further than a couple hours from Disney and the Villages
Low rent but safe area. 1b/1b about 650$.
Close to good schools(Waldorf possibly) for future children.
Lots of hotels and restaurants within 30min drive for job opportunities.
Local/organic food. Farmers Markets.
A nice main street, walking trails, beach or lake.
Open minded community...not too far right if your know what I mean.
Art and culture nearby. Museums.

I guess that's about it. Like I said I've narrowed it down to Clermont, Mount Dora, Palm Harbor and Dunedin. But I am open to more suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Last edited by suorkaterina; 06-05-2013 at 02:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 03:26 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,304,477 times
I would take Mt Dora off the list. I like the town itself for shopping, dining etc but would not want to actually live in the town itself.

Annerk and a few others live in Clermont and could help you with Clermont.
Several posters here live along the gulf side and could give you input on your other towns.

One other poster I cannot remember their name lived in Mt Dora and left after one year.

After moving here 23 months ago I want people to make sure the place they choose is right for them.

You mentioned Disney, we love going to Disney but also love the beach.

Depending on which you like the best you might look into Wesley Chapel also as it is located for your to enjoy both the ocean and Disney without a long drive.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:55 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,997,735 times
What's wrong with Mt. Dora? The town is great and there's lot's of housing outside the town. Big 'ol lake, plenty of trendy restaurants for hubby, a nice Hampton Inn, not far from the Villages, Disney, and a real ocean.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post
I would take Mt Dora off the list. I like the town itself for shopping, dining etc but would not want to actually live in the town itself.

Annerk and a few others live in Clermont and could help you with Clermont.
Several posters here live along the gulf side and could give you input on your other towns.

One other poster I cannot remember their name lived in Mt Dora and left after one year.

After moving here 23 months ago I want people to make sure the place they choose is right for them.

You mentioned Disney, we love going to Disney but also love the beach.

Depending on which you like the best you might look into Wesley Chapel also as it is located for your to enjoy both the ocean and Disney without a long drive.
Annerk has helped me a lot with Clermont. Rents are a little higher than Mount Dora or Palm Harbor though. I liked Winter Garden or Winter Park but rents are also higher. I had gotten some advice that Mount Dora was a little too sleepy and a little too conservative for me. Is that the reason you think I should scratch it off the list?

I'll check out Wesley Chapel. Thanks for the suggestion!

Old 06-05-2013, 06:17 PM

776 posts, read 1,672,699 times
Check the 441 corridor in North Lake County: Eustis, Tavares, Leesburg. Also more of Pasco County...Dade City and New Port Richey. Lakeland and Haines City between Tampa and Orlando off I-4 for better job prospect coverage also reasonable but a longer drive to the Villages

Old 06-05-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVosilla View Post
Check the 441 corridor in North Lake County: Eustis, Tavares, Leesburg. Also more of Pasco County...Dade City and New Port Richey. Lakeland and Haines City between Tampa and Orlando off I-4 for better job prospect coverage also reasonable but a longer drive to the Villages
What are your thoughts on Leesburg? The rents seem very reasonable and there are some nice historic areas. But someone had told me the area is very...country. If you catch my meaning.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:26 AM

27,206 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suorkaterina View Post
Quiet area but only an hour or two drive to the city.
No further than a couple hours from Disney and the Villages
Low rent but safe area. 1b/1b about 650$.
Close to good schools(Waldorf possibly) for future children.
Lots of hotels and restaurants within 30min drive for job opportunities.
Local/organic food. Farmers Markets.
A nice main street, walking trails, beach or lake.
Open minded community...not too far right if your know what I mean.
Art and culture nearby. Museums.

I guess that's about it. Like I said I've narrowed it down to Clermont, Mount Dora, Palm Harbor and Dunedin. But I am open to more suggestions.
Given your criteria, particularly the "open minded/not too far right" segment, Dunedin or Palm Harbor would be your best bet. Orlando itself is Blue but the suburbs are quite Red, especially Lake County (Clermont, Leesburg and Mt Dora). The Tampa Bay area in general is Blue and you'll feel that even in the suburbs (Pinellas County for example where you'd be focused) versus here in Central Florida.

Election Results
Pinellas - Election Results

Old 06-06-2013, 01:41 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,075,211 times
What's getting more worn out than 'where to live' is 'is it safe?'

Old 06-06-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
What's wrong with Mt. Dora? The town is great and there's lot's of housing outside the town. Big 'ol lake, plenty of trendy restaurants for hubby, a nice Hampton Inn, not far from the Villages, Disney, and a real ocean.

Re read my post. I said it has nice dining etc. In my opinion I would not want to live in Mr Dora itself.

OP wont find museums, art and culture either in Mt Dora itself.

What is a real ocean?

Old 06-06-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suorkaterina View Post
Annerk has helped me a lot with Clermont. Rents are a little higher than Mount Dora or Palm Harbor though. I liked Winter Garden or Winter Park but rents are also higher. I had gotten some advice that Mount Dora was a little too sleepy and a little too conservative for me. Is that the reason you think I should scratch it off the list?

I'll check out Wesley Chapel. Thanks for the suggestion!

LOL--- Too conservative.

I advise for you to stay away from the too liberal areas. Too many problems in those too liberal areas.

Take Winter Garden and Winter Park off your list also. Personally Mt Dora would be a better choice then those two but you have mention much better towns then those two certainly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida