Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 01:47 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,139,172 times

Advertisements

Tallahassee is best for families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 06:22 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,957,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Tell me. Where r u going ?
Wonderland, but wait the queen is a meanie!!!

Old 06-19-2013, 09:55 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,884,485 times
Quote:
Tell me. Where r u going ?
I want to know where he lives in FL?

He's from PA he said. So yeah there's a big difference. While he's completely hyperbolic I sort of understand him, having a kid/wife and everything.

Philly, for example, a minority majority city for a long time now, has a almost the same crime index as Miami and almost = Orlando. (the only two I compared)

The sex offender differential is off the charts better for Philly. The murder differential is worse in Philly.

Murders are worse in Philly by far but rapes are almost equal to Miami and Orlando is low. (surprised me)

It's harder to avoid sex offenders here. LITERALLY, the first TWO idiots I met here the day after I moved from Philly were a peeping TOM in my own gated community and a bona fide offender at Home Depot PARKING LOT he approached me close talking to "help" with my freaking mulch. I thought he was just a random jackass until I saw HIS FACE on the Vero sex offender tv station that very night!!! I only found out by coincidence because I didn't even know such a thing existed and was mesmerized while flipping channels that they had that. He had a sign on his car "Husband For Hire" can you even believe that LOL. I lived 4 blocks over from his street but in gated. Not that it matters or impacts ME but I can see families freaking out about it. And I was MAD to have this other moron who LIVED ACROSS THE STREET from my kitchen window standing outside my enclosed porch at midnight peeping TOMMING. Fool.

The ratio of offenders is ENORMOUS here compared to most places in Philly. So this guy is freaking out. For example Levittown Pa. You all heard of it, right? Blue collar. Some section 8 average community? My former Verizon office was there:

The ratio of number of residents in Levittown to the number of sex offenders is 1,929 to 1
The ratio of number of residents in Miami to the number of sex offenders is 323 to 1.

It feels easier to avoid murders in Philly area because they are sort of centralized so that crime number is not an issue as much and there is massive public transit so you can live anywhere even NJ and commute to Philly.

Last time I was in the Orlando airport NOBODY at the rental car agency spoke English even the person in the box that you PAY. I mean NO English. And I say that as a spouse of an immigrant. Really?

So if he's in a dense Florida location, it's bad because you can't just move slightly outside of it like you can in Philly which is much LARGER of course in geography and population. MILLIONS larger.

Yes he could probably move somewhere else down here, but he's just OVER IT. LOL

Old 06-20-2013, 01:10 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Last time I was in the Orlando airport NOBODY at the rental car agency spoke English even the person in the box that you PAY. I mean NO English. And I say that as a spouse of an immigrant. Really?
I find it hard to believe that a place that relies so heavily on the influx of tourists for the many theme parks in the area would have rentacar companies at the airport whose employees speak no English.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:35 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,443,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I find it hard to believe that a place that relies so heavily on the influx of tourists for the many theme parks in the area would have rentacar companies at the airport whose employees speak no English.
Yet it's true!

I find it hysterical being at McD's drive thru and the order taker not understanding "Big Mac"

Old 06-20-2013, 12:30 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,118,057 times
OK; Why do remain in that area or even go there. ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
Yet it's true!

I find it hysterical being at McD's drive thru and the order taker not understanding "Big Mac"

Old 06-20-2013, 01:02 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,443,197 times
Quote:
OK; Why do remain in that area or even go there. ?
Crazy things happen when you travel!

Old 06-24-2013, 04:10 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,094,368 times
To the OP, before you start narrowing down areas, one of you needs to get a job first then start looking at commuteable cities.

Wealthy retirees can drive up home prices in desirable cities making it difficult to find a fantastic home on good salaries.

Companies in Florida don't pay well because they don't have to.

The largest private company in Florida is Disney and they are notoriously cheap. I believe Publix is the second and they pay decently but not great. Entry level about $12 an hour.

While your skills are very marketable and in demand, they pay probably will not be anywhere near what you are used to making.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida