Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 09:02 AM

9 posts, read 13,626 times

Advertisements

I keep hearing the schools in Florida are terrible....what is the reason that people say this? Is it the testing? I am an educator in CT and thinking of moving to FL, but wanted to get an idea of what I would be facing....thanks for any insight

Last edited by nusher; 11-08-2013 at 10:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 09:09 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,201,862 times
Schools are great where I am at.....so I will pass on to others.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:12 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
Terrible schools in FL is old info. Check out the web sites that rate school systems and get the facts instead of going by out dated opinions. Sure there are poor performing schools, but that is not the majority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nusher View Post
I keep hearing the schools in Florida are terrible....what the reason that people say this? Is it the testing? I am an educator in CT and thinking of moving to FL, but wanted to get an idea of what I would be facing....thanks for any insight

Old 11-08-2013, 09:13 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,319,080 times
Why did you post this in the Tampa Bay Forum? This should be in the Florida forum.

In your years as a CT educator, have you discerned any reasons why the schools in Bridgeport and New Haven are rated so poorly compared to the rest of the state?

Old 11-08-2013, 09:38 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,898,341 times
We live in Palm Harbor and the schools are excellent. Like most states, you can find schools which great, good, average and poor. Just depends on where you choose to live.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:51 AM

35,691 posts, read 21,045,148 times
No its about location and money they spend- my g-kids did terrible until they moved to Clermont Fl,., now all are A honor roll and we are like whaaa? I told my son... NEVER move from there until all 3 graduate.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:53 AM

693 posts, read 1,138,130 times
Like anywhere else in the country, location!

However just as important as location is parents that are ENGAGED in their childrens education / future.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:39 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,945,661 times
Yeah I agree with the others, it all depends on where. I live in a great school district and the education I received was comparable to any up north.

Old 11-08-2013, 01:36 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,320,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nusher View Post
I keep hearing the schools in Florida are terrible....what is the reason that people say this? Is it the testing? I am an educator in CT and thinking of moving to FL, but wanted to get an idea of what I would be facing....thanks for any insight
Generally the people saying that are jealous NY/NJ/New Englanders who need a justification as to why they live in such desolate climates half the year and have the privilege of paying more in taxes as the reward for doing it. The other faction of people saying it are probably the well-paid teachers in those states who need to keep justifying more school spending.

Florida is #6: States with the Best and Worst School Systems - 24/7 Wall St.

Most of the surveys I've read on FL school quality put in the top third or in the middle of the pack. The only place where FL seems to rank low is in teacher salaries and per-pupil spending. Some of the high schools in the central FL (Brevard/Seminole) area are in the top 100, nationally when you check US News.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:03 PM

9 posts, read 13,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Generally the people saying that are jealous NY/NJ/New Englanders who need a justification as to why they live in such desolate climates half the year and have the privilege of paying more in taxes as the reward for doing it. The other faction of people saying it are probably the well-paid teachers in those states who need to keep justifying more school spending.

Florida is #6: States with the Best and Worst School Systems - 24/7 Wall St.

Most of the surveys I've read on FL school quality put in the top third or in the middle of the pack. The only place where FL seems to rank low is in teacher salaries and per-pupil spending. Some of the high schools in the central FL (Brevard/Seminole) area are in the top 100, nationally when you check US News.
The information that I have encountered indicates the same things as you posted above. The state has class size limits, offers gifted programming and extensive SPED services. The FCAT does not seem any more intense or useless than the state testing here in CT or any other state for that matter.

I was just curious because I frequently hear "the schools are terrible!" when I tell people I am considering moving to FL. I haven't found a concrete reason that doesn't also exist in any other state. The pay isn't THAT much lower than here in CT and the COL in FL is a LOT less. Thanks for the input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida