Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2015, 01:24 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,009,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
quit shopping at Target..stop looking down your nose at people..or move..along with with your starbucks latte..
Not to mention his $100+ sunglasses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
everyone keeps going on about the weather... oh the weather this, the weather that.

First of all, No.

Second of all. There are other areas with good weather as well that do not have this trash element. Why does FL have to have it? It's gross.

One doesn't go out to San Diego and Phoenix or LA and see this far-reaching trash vibe. Why must FL have it everywhere from Orlando and Tampa down to Fort Lauderdale and Miami.
San Diego, CA (city) has about 2,700 unsheltered homeless people in 2015.

Miami/Dade (county) has about 1,000 in 2015.

You should find better neighborhoods.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:42 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,622,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post

I live in Coral Gables. It doesn't get a whole lot better in dade county than that. Thanks for the brilliant suggestion though.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:44 PM

26,817 posts, read 43,277,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck in Ft Lauderdale View Post
Florida is a complicated place. I have lived here most of my life, coming down in 1972, and its really changed over the years. Retirees came here in the 50's and 60's for the nice weather and low cost living. By the 80s and into the 90s most of those people had passed away, leaving their small 2 bedroom homes empty, lots of them either went up for rent or for sale cheap. Since Florida wages are largely low, and there was a lot of low cost rentals available, you got a lot of uneducated/working class, lower income people flooding into the state from other states where the economy was even worse.They were able to survive to a degree because there were a fair amount of light manufacturing and service jobs and the cost of living was still relatively low. Now, a lot of those jobs are disappearing, the cost of living is going up, and the advantage of being able to make it on the low wages because it was cheap to live here is eroding away,and a lot of people are forced to work 2 jobs just to make it, and many who are able to are leaving outright. Most people who can afford it are buying newer higher end properties, and those old neighborhoods are largely turning into slums. To be fair, its happening all over the country, the middle class is disappearing, but its perhaps more noticeable here. In all honesty, unless you have a really good job locked in here, or are wealthy enough to live in a nice area, you don't want to come here. Its mostly really affluent upscale areas or slums, sadly there is not much in between anymore. Florida is still a really beautiful place, but its a mix of a small pool of very wealthy people, and droves of dirt poor paycheck to paycheck people, and immigrants. If you want to live in a nice safe area, get ready to pay for it. Otherwise its not so great. Hopefully it gets better.
This is spot on and why I maintain that Florida's "growth" post-recession isn't sustainable in an economy where the massive percentage of new jobs cannot support the average person. While the middle class has been disappearing nationally it's always been thinner here and for whatever reason less stable probably due to the fact the state has always been light on white collar jobs to begin with. I was out and about yesterday looking at neighborhoods in Northern Seminole County while I passively begin a possible new home search and was struck by the very apparent decline of gated newer subdivisions where it was clear there had been (or still were) a huge number of distressed property owners in these HOAs given the conditions of the homes. After that eye-opening experience I would definitely think long and hard after what I've seen before investing in any neighborhood in this part of Florida where homes are not priced over 275K-300K.

Old 11-09-2015, 02:57 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,158,236 times
Quote:

The West coast has even more homeless. SF, LA, Portland, Seattle.

I'm amazed when I visit Seattle every so often(due to relatives) and see homeless camped under the freeways (kind of tent cities). A quick search reveals 8300 homeless in King Cty/Seattle. In addition, I'm sure being a New Yorker you remember the # of homeless in the city.

S.F. homeless numbers flat but more living on streets | Other News | San Francisco | San Francisco Examiner

The homelessness survey showed 3,401 people living on city streets. ( I read in SF they are very aggressive too).

The funny thing is, most people on CD(at least in the respective forums above) very rarely talk about such issues. It's always a big issue in FL. Heck, everything is a big issue in FL.

The guy complaining needs to move to LA.

""According to the Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority, which conducted a three-day count in late January, there are 58,423 homeless people in Los Angeles, up from 50,214 in 2011, when the last count was conducted.Jun 28, 2013."" Wiki

But I'm sure the middle class is alive and well there.. and jobs pay a lot better and neighborhoods are walkable and blah blah blah...pfff..

Old 11-09-2015, 03:35 PM

Those figures are astonishing and yes, I do remember the huge amount of homeless and mentally ill people in NYC in the 1980's as I had to pass at least a dozen men living in the subway station under East 53rd Street and 5th Avenue right under the Gucci store, under the Elizabeth Arden spa and several other high end retailers. The stink entering the subway station was nauseating

It does seem that the CD people who constantly complain about everything in the state of FL have never been elsewhere or if they were they had blinders on so they could not see the conditions surrounding them.

If they left the state of FL and ventured to any of the many locations that the believe are void of homeless people, people living in poverty, traffic, crime and other faults, they would be very surprised that life in FL wasn't so bad after all.

/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
The West coast has even more homeless. SF, LA, Portland, Seattle.

I'm amazed when I visit Seattle every so often(due to relatives) and see homeless camped under the freeways (kind of tent cities). A quick search reveals 8300 homeless in King Cty/Seattle. In addition, I'm sure being a New Yorker you remember the # of homeless in the city.

S.F. homeless numbers flat but more living on streets | Other News | San Francisco | San Francisco Examiner

The homelessness survey showed 3,401 people living on city streets. ( I read in SF they are very aggressive too).

The funny thing is, most people on CD(at least in the respective forums above) very rarely talk about such issues. It's always a big issue in FL. Heck, everything is a big issue in FL.

""According to the Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority, which conducted a three-day count in late January, there are 58,423 homeless people in Los Angeles, up from 50,214 in 2011, when the last count was conducted.Jun 28, 2013."" Wiki

But I'm sure the middle class is alive and well there.. and jobs pay a lot better and neighborhoods are walkable and blah blah blah...pfff..

Old 11-09-2015, 06:33 PM

201 posts, read 188,795 times
Quote:
Not to mention his $100+ sunglasses.
What's wrong with expensive sunglasses? I have a pair that cost well over $100 and they've lasted for years with probably many years left on them. Sometimes spending more for better quality is cheaper in the long term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post

I don't think this thread was started to be specifically about the homeless.

People complain more on the Florida forums compared to other cities? Maybe there is a reason for that. No reason to get defensive about that if you like living there.

Quote:
Those figures are astonishing and yes, I do remember the huge amount of homeless and mentally ill people in NYC in the 1980's as I had to pass at least a dozen men living in the subway station under East 53rd Street and 5th Avenue right under the Gucci store, under the Elizabeth Arden spa and several other high end retailers. The stink entering the subway station was nauseating

It does seem that the CD people who constantly complain about everything in the state of FL have never been elsewhere or if they were they had blinders on so they could not see the conditions surrounding them.

If they left the state of FL and ventured to any of the many locations that the believe are void of homeless people, people living in poverty, traffic, crime and other faults, they would be very surprised that life in FL wasn't so bad after all. /

Again, I don't think the reason for this thread was to complain about the homeless, but I've seen A LOT of homeless in Florida. I've lived and traveled all over the country and they are hard to miss in most of Florida. Some are quite aggressive, too.

This thread is about Florida, so I don't know what the point is of comparing to other cities or states.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:47 PM

The reason I listed other cities was to show that many other places have a larger amount of homeless people compared to Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwhisperer View Post
What's wrong with expensive sunglasses? I have a pair that cost well over $100 and they've lasted for years with probably many years left on them. Sometimes spending more for better quality is cheaper in the long term.

I don't think this thread was started to be specifically about the homeless.

People complain more on the Florida forums compared to other cities? Maybe there is a reason for that. No reason to get defensive about that if you like living there.

Again, I don't think the reason for this thread was to complain about the homeless, but I've seen A LOT of homeless in Florida. I've lived and traveled all over the country and they are hard to miss in most of Florida. Some are quite aggressive, too.

This thread is about Florida, so I don't know what the point is of comparing to other cities or states.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:38 PM

201 posts, read 188,795 times
Quote:
The reason I listed other cities was to show that many other places have a larger amount of homeless people compared to Florida.
The thread is about Florida. It's not relevant.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:35 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,823,680 times
I don't know why there are so many "I hate Florida" or "Why do you hate Florida" threads, but apparently there are many discontented people living in Florida who frequent these forums. You can't really put a large state with nearly 20 million people into one category. There are many nice sections of Florida. I've traveled all over the state and, although there are many trashy places, there are also a lot of beautiful, clean areas.

I just think there are a lot of discontented people posting on this forum who need to blame something for their miserable lives, so they pick Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida