Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 04:55 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,377,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
No, I dont want everyone in an executive suit walking around lol. That's ridiculous.

However, I travel often for work...all over the US and cannot help but notice that FL does indeed have more uneducated, obese, slacker types. Where do the young professionals hang out in Florida? Where are the go-getters? The innovators? The entrepreneurs? The educated? Certainly not in fort lauderdale lol! Or Orlando, or Tampa...or Jacksonville...or even Miami.

When I visit DC and Boston and NYC--there's more of a cosmopolitan outlook on life with people. More worldly, more invigortaing. FL just seems so ho-hum. Low rates of bachelor's degrees, high unemployment, kinda of a crap jobn market, tons of sexual predators (definitely disproportionately higher in FL, lets be real here)...it's just disappointing I guess.
Growing up in NYC we saw homeless but I have to say even in Brooklyn where we lived we just didn't have what South Florida does with the homeless on the street corners and beggars...that is the one thing we really hated was on every corner there were people asking for money or something...It really bothered dh and the kids there is one that we know is really homeless and my son would give him water or when he worked for BK he would sometimes give him food...But it is quite unattractive I must say

Trashiness yes I definitely agree with....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 05:25 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,997,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
Growing up in NYC we saw homeless but I have to say even in Brooklyn where we lived we just didn't have what South Florida does with the homeless on the street corners and beggars...that is the one thing we really hated was on every corner there were people asking for money or something...It really bothered dh and the kids there is one that we know is really homeless and my son would give him water or when he worked for BK he would sometimes give him food...But it is quite unattractive I must say

Trashiness yes I definitely agree with....
I'd have to disagree, last time I was in NYC (2yrs.),I was constantly hounded for hand outs, had guys walking in front of the car to mess up my windshield(supposed to be cleaning it but made it worse), begged to buy obvious worthless fakes, and even solicited.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
I'd have to disagree, last time I was in NYC (2yrs.),I was constantly hounded for hand outs, had guys walking in front of the car to mess up my windshield(supposed to be cleaning it but made it worse), begged to buy obvious worthless fakes, and even solicited.
Im talking about Brooklyn not Manhattan...growing up they were on the subways pan handeling that is nothing new and the squigy people nothing new however I didnt grow up in Manhattan only worked there when I was younger so it wasn't something I would see on an every day basis like in South Florida

Old 06-10-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
Im talking about Brooklyn not Manhattan...and since I hardly went into Manhattan it isn't something I would see on an every day basis like in South Florida

My problem is they are all over south florida off the highways, on street corners and they come up to your car sorry but I do have an issue with that

Old 06-10-2013, 08:54 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,690,496 times
Quote:
Im talking about Brooklyn not Manhattan...and since I hardly went into Manhattan it isn't something I would see on an every day basis like in South Florida

My problem is they are all over south florida off the highways, on street corners and they come up to your car sorry but I do have an issue with that
Exactly, they really are. . even in Boca, which is a wealthier area...I see bums and beggers on every street corner. It's so annoying.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:15 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,935,934 times
I get tired of seeing so many pan-handlers and mentally ill people around here. I just never saw that in such large numbers in other cities I've lived in or visited outside of Florida. Maybe its just perception, though.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Exactly, they really are. . even in Boca, which is a wealthier area...I see bums and beggers on every street corner. It's so annoying.
I know right?? we couldn't believe it and that was a big issue for us only because it was like every corner..Glades Rd and Jog were terrible there were always people who wanted or were supposedly collecting money etc...I agree its very annoying

Old 06-10-2013, 09:42 PM

142 posts, read 243,558 times
It's a lot easier to live outside, live in a tent, or live in a car somewhere warm like FL. Well educated, high achieving, type A young people want to be in a situation where they will be able to attain their career goals so they move to NYC, DC, or Boston where that is the culture and people work, work and work. The bums and beggers probably are in Boca because they figure people may have extra money to hand out. Unless there are aggressive laws towards panhandling and the homeless and the laws are aggressively upheld, this happens.

There are go-getters, entrepreneurs, and educated in every city-they just may not make Forbes or the New York Times.

Do people move from FL to retire in NYC, Boston, or DC? No, but a ton move from those cities after they retire to places like FL, SC, or AZ.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:43 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,935,934 times
I live in St. Pete. I have yet to walk up to my local Starbucks without getting asked for a handout at least once during the trip. One guy even chased me, yelling "Hey Buddy, We met in the store. I just want to make sure you're okay!" after I ignored his repeated "Hey Buddy"'s and kept on walking

Old 06-11-2013, 03:56 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,997,735 times
Quote:

So you're saying that since you avoided the part of NYC that had vagrants many moons ago while growing up, the problem didn't affect you. Now you're innudated no matter where you go in S. Florida. I'd have to say you're over reacting or just peeved that they dare invade your space. I go to Miami on a regular basis (weekly). I'm usually in Coconut Grove, or South Miami. I have been approached 2 times in 2 years. Once in Overtown,(hardly a surprise) and once in Delray while getting gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida