Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 04:52 PM

407 posts, read 828,691 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I'm currently in school at FGCU to become a teacher (Special Education). I'm still a little unsure if this is the appropriate field to pursue if I want to live in Lee or Collier county after graduation. If someone can give me a little background how teachers are paid, and respected in Florida that would be wonderful.

I have also done some research and came across a few articles about "Senate Bill 6". What does this mean for future educators in Florida? Will this be a secure career choice if I plan on living in the state after graduation?

It seems the average salary for teachers in the state is around 40k... is this correct? seems a little low.

Thank you for your feed back.
Jazzman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 05:33 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,829,894 times
My wife taught in Florida for about 27-years, retiring as a Principal, at a high salary, with a great pension. She enjoyed classroom teaching, but, as the years passed, found that the bureaucracy, increasing restrictions and lack of any real discipline tools, made the job tougher each year. In some ways, 'good teachers' get burned out, while 'mediocre teachers' often thrive. (She says that 'anything in Special Education has always been a comparatively good deal', yet, has nothing significant to offer re: Senate Bill 6.)

Teaching has always been almost 'too secure' in Florida. By that, I mean that it has traditionally been almost impossible to get rid of poor teachers. By the same token, if one's plan is to get wealthy in teaching, they may want to re-think their expectations.

Sadly, one of the most important roles in our society (Teaching) ... is not commensurately compensated or regarded by the same society it benefits --- in Florida ... or anywhere else.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:57 PM

10,231 posts, read 6,315,362 times
I worked in Collier as an ESE TA from 2007 to 2011 (quit). Lot of changes. In 2008 tenure was eliminated. Only one year contracts now given. Salaries were frozen in 2008, but I did hear that Rick Scott was giving teachers a "bonus" this year. Self contained classes were eliminated and the kids were mainstreamed with the exception of Autism Spectrum and Severity. It seems your salary increases (?) and/or job will be tied to how well the students do on their FCATS. How they will work this out for ESE, or Art, Music teachers, I don't know. How well other teachers in these areas are doing? I also heard they were trying to random drug test all civil servants, including teachers. The Unions were fighting this, but I do not know the outcome of that.
I only worked in Naples schools, so I cannot speak for the rest of the state. I hate to say this but, I would not recommend any young person going into Education in any state in today's world. We are now witnessing the beginning of the end of public education. IMHO.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:43 AM

Thank you both for the feedback. I'm speechless... wondering if I'm making the right decision becoming a teacher. I don't understand how student test scores determine teacher salaries. What about students that arent in there class for a week or two because of poor home situations? Students with disabilities that cannot perform up to par...? Is this grading policy for teachers permanent? is there a chance Florida teachers will fight this? I'm sure a good majority are.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:30 PM

486 posts, read 653,972 times
Marion County (Ocala) just laid off all 171 first year teachers and replaced them with full-time substitutes who will make half as much with no benefits. Last year they laid off all the art/music/PE teachers.

Florida doesn't need more teachers. We have too many of them working at Walmart as it is.

They're crying for truck drivers (semi) though. Might consider getting your CDL and learning to drive a big truck. As far as I know, that's the only field that is actually hiring.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:39 PM

Oh wow... I'm really apprehensive about continuing to become a teacher. I've wanted to do this almost my whole life but can't hard the fact that it may be almost impossible to support myself and my family.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:28 AM

66 posts, read 169,785 times
I was a teacher in MD and had to relocate to FL for my husband's job. In MD teachers were paid much better and had great benefits (better than my husband's federal government job). In FL, the teachers are severely unpaid and benefits for your family are unaffordable. I think it's a shame that teachers kids have to be on the state sponsored kid insurance because Broward County makes it unaffordable. Broward County does not care about public schools. I think they would be happy if everyone went to a charter school. They make poor administrative decisions and almost force parents to to leave community schools. It's a joke! Good luck...you can be a teacher just not in FL! It's not fun anywhere but at least we could be compensated better and supported by the school system.

Also if you decide to go to a charter school and teach you will be compensated even less!

Old 06-12-2013, 09:12 AM

so pretty much, health insurance, retirement, aren't going to happen being a teacher in Florida...?

Old 06-12-2013, 11:58 AM

66 posts, read 169,785 times
There is a retirement system not sure what it amounts to but there is one. We put 3% of our pay into the system. That was a fairly recent change in FL...in the past FL did not contribute anything towards their retirement In MD, it was a 5% contribution

Old 06-13-2013, 09:48 PM

Teaching in Florida has me a little on edge. I'm even thinking if changing my major.

Kids are out of control everywhere. Just not Florida. I've taught in New York already and have had issues with students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida