Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 04:01 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,375,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
Sorry, I'm a stickler for accuracy:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/26/us...anted=all&_r=0
As the article points out:

The debate reflects uncertainty about whether the revenue is a one-time event, a result of state taxes on wealthy residents selling off investments at the end of last year to avoid increased costs as the Bush-era federal tax cuts expired.

It seems logical that a large % of the growth in tax revenues was the result of sales generating capital gains in 2012 to avoid higher federal (and - in California's case - higher state) tax rates - and had little to do with specific state politics/policies. Especially since a large number of diverse states saw similar jumps in state tax revenues during this period.

Anyway - we'll see how things play out in various states in the next year or two.

BTW - since you're a "stickler for accuracy" - I'll note that California now has the second worst credit rating of any state in the country (it swapped places with Illinois when it was upgraded a notch and Illinois was downgraded a notch earlier this year). I buy a lot of state GO municipal bonds - and won't touch California or Illinois (or a few others). And my decisions are 100% based on state finances - not the "color" of the state electorate or its politicians. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 04:12 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,375,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
You misunderstood me...I was alluding to the fact that many were moving here for that very reason but it has expanded into more of those tired of long winters in my opinion than a tax evasion.... though there certainly is still quite a bit of anti-tax, anti-toll road sentiment here.
I think it's somewhat the opposite - since the cost of living for average middle class people has gone up quite a bit due to things like the high cost of property insurance (especially in the southern part of the state). Ditto when it comes to retired people looking at the cost of something like a medigap policy (our prices up here in north Florida are pretty much "average" - but they're about 40-50% higher in south Florida).

But you're probably right in terms of sheer numbers - because there are certainly more middle class people than people with 7 or 8 or 8+ figure net worths. Robyn

Old 06-30-2013, 04:50 PM

1,975 posts, read 2,342,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
As the article points out:

The debate reflects uncertainty about whether the revenue is a one-time event, a result of state taxes on wealthy residents selling off investments at the end of last year to avoid increased costs as the Bush-era federal tax cuts expired.

It seems logical that a large % of the growth in tax revenues was the result of sales generating capital gains in 2012 to avoid higher federal (and - in California's case - higher state) tax rates - and had little to do with specific state politics/policies. Especially since a large number of diverse states saw similar jumps in state tax revenues during this period.

Anyway - we'll see how things play out in various states in the next year or two.

BTW - since you're a "stickler for accuracy" - I'll note that California now has the second worst credit rating of any state in the country (it swapped places with Illinois when it was upgraded a notch and Illinois was downgraded a notch earlier this year). I buy a lot of state GO municipal bonds - and won't touch California or Illinois (or a few others). And my decisions are 100% based on state finances - not the "color" of the state electorate or its politicians. Robyn
Study: California's credit rating improves - Sacramento Business Journal

Certainly you should invest as you see fit, so say we all. I have faith in Democratic policies and long-term positive outcomes. Gov. Brown is a pragmatist rather than an ideologue like Scott and I trust his management.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:54 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,838,537 times
Quote:
Study: California's credit rating improves - Sacramento Business Journal

Certainly you should invest as you see fit, so say we all. I have faith in Democratic policies and long-term positive outcomes. Gov. Brown is a pragmatist rather than an ideologue like Scott and I trust his management.
Then why not move to California?

Old 06-30-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
Then why not move to California?
Why not bring California to the rest of the country?

Old 07-01-2013, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Why not bring California to the rest of the country?
Because the rest of the country doesn't want it?

California seems to be growing at a MUCH slower pace than it used to be.. at only 2.1% from 2010-2012..

Old 07-01-2013, 06:59 AM

2,955 posts, read 4,961,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
Because the rest of the country doesn't want it?

California seems to be growing at a MUCH slower pace than it used to be.. at only 2.1% from 2010-2012..
Why is it that everyone is concerned with growth rather than sustainibility? I realize growth creates wealth but I believe that the earth is finite. When you run out of room, water, air, and materials, what's next? Funny that the root of conservative is conserve, yet that's hardly their mantra, except for personal wealth.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliGilbert View Post
Hi,

We are looking for a beach town in Florida, especially south Florida, that is forward thinking with lots of character, greenspace, and a sense of community. We want to stay away from strip malls. We are a family of 3 with a toddler. Looking for something like a craftsmans bungalow or beach cottage within 10 minutes of the beach that is walking distance to things like groceries, farmers markets, parks, bike trails, restaurants, shops, and stores. I am a nurse practitioner and my husband is a PA. We don't want to commute much or pay more than 2,500 a month (2 bedroom at least), but may consider a little more for the right area. Some places we were thinking of were Miami (coconut grove) and Ft. Meyers, but I'm sure there are lots of cute beach towns in Florida. We don't want to live in north Florida. So not St. Augustine, Jax, panhandle, Amelia isl., ect...No conservative areas please. Open to smaller towns too. Any ideas? Thanks!
Have you discovered a progressive beach town in FL?

Old 07-01-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
Why is it that everyone is concerned with growth rather than sustainibility? I realize growth creates wealth but I believe that the earth is finite. When you run out of room, water, air, and materials, what's next? Funny that the root of conservative is conserve, yet that's hardly their mantra, except for personal wealth.
That wasn't my point, Artisan4 claimed to want to bring California to the rest of the country, to which I said the rest of the country doesn't want California, which is backed up by the decline of growth in population for the state.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:53 PM

26,817 posts, read 43,286,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
I agree except for the growth creating wealth part (for most of us anyway). A perfect example is the Orlando metro which is growing like a weed but isn't sustainable growth because it's not creating any wealth other than for the select few who are the CEOs and higher ups with the service sector companies that are proliferating here. The rest are making $10-$12 an hour and "living large in O-Town".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida