Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 06:27 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,353,168 times

Advertisements

The current governor being a fanatical hard-right ideologue, moving to Florida at the moment would be like moving to Vichy France. Once Scott has departed and assuming his successor is a progressive, moving to the state would be much more appealing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 06:30 AM

There are quite a few threads searching for progressive areas of Florida-interesting.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:46 AM

770 posts, read 1,131,248 times
Hi. First, good luck with your move whereever you guys end up. Gulfport is a great little gem, close to St. Pete and 25 minutes from Tampa, so jobs are in the area. it has the Key West feel.

Gulfport has a small beach on Boca Ciga Bay, but the Gulf of Mexico beaches are only a ten minute drive away. Funky fun atmosphere. Good shops and places to eat. Large gay population but 'not in your face'. It is also a family friendly area to boot.

Rents are relatively low.

Good luck!!

Old 06-28-2013, 07:58 AM

770 posts, read 1,131,248 times
Oh, great places to hang out with outstanding water views. I like O'Maddys.

[SIZE=3]I come to O'Maddys about once or twice a week. The staff is always super friendly and the food 9 times out of 10 is excellent. Several of the gals who work the bar, Crystal (soft deer eyes), Jennifer (killer green eyes by the way), Michelle (smart , funny and cute), are very fast, courteous and friendly. After a few times there, I felt very much at home and made it my hangout place. When I had a sit down dinner, a wait staff member named Becky (lovely blue eyes) was excellent. She was friendly, efficient and was able to comment on the menu with authority. Mark at the bar is a cool dude, friendly and is fast and efficient at getting your drink and checking on you. I have not had much luck with the Pizzas, but everything else has been exceptional. In sum, this is a great little spot and the atmosphere is friendly and genuine. Enjoy!![/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Webster Ave[/SIZE]

Old 06-28-2013, 08:05 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
There are quite a few threads searching for progressive areas of Florida-interesting.
Yes, every week people ask. We have a lot of more "liberal/progressive" types moving in, as one of the posters earlier in this thread state; you find areas and pockets of this in a lot of cities/towns. You can't only look at politics. I mentioned Sarasota earlier; Sarasota county is pretty old, white and conservative going south, but downtown and north is definitely more progressive/hip, with several colleges (including a hippie college and an art college), museums, and all that goes with it. Sarasota likes to "build green" whenever possible, and has lots of organic food. These are things most people are looking for when they ask this question.

St. Pete is another great area; mostly around the downtown. St. Pete is old and spread out, the most liberal/progressive area is downtown, period. But it's a fantastic area; and if we didn't already live here in north Sarasota, would move there in a heartbeat; we love that place. You should check all of this out for yourselves and see if it's a fit. I actually think you would really love downtown St. Pete.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:27 AM

It's fun exploring. Sarasota is very nice, what we've seen.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:04 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Yes, every week people ask. We have a lot of more "liberal/progressive" types moving in, as one of the posters earlier in this thread state; you find areas and pockets of this in a lot of cities/towns.
I think a lot of it has to do with the moderation politically we've seen over the past 10-20 years in the state. It's become less of a tax-friendly mecca for 1% types or retirees from the Northeast, and more diverse with many who are just plain tired of what seems like longer and longer winters.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:25 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
The current governor being a fanatical hard-right ideologue, moving to Florida at the moment would be like moving to Vichy France. Once Scott has departed and assuming his successor is a progressive, moving to the state would be much more appealing.
Like I think I asked - do you live in Colorado? If so - why do you care who the governor in Florida is? Would you move here if we had a new Governor? Note that whether or not you say yes - I'd say thank you but no thank you. We have plenty too many people moving here already. Don't need any more.

I don't even know who the governor in Colorado is (and don't much care either). Wouldn't move there for any reason (too cold - can't blame that on the local politicians ).

FWIW - if your state is so great - why is your muni bond rating so middling (we're AAA)? Perhaps you would prefer a state with a more liberal government than mine or yours that's going broke?

Anyway - I've been pretty happy here for 40+ years. If you don't think you'd be happy here - for whatever reason - don't move here. Robyn

Old 06-28-2013, 06:32 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I think a lot of it has to do with the moderation politically we've seen over the past 10-20 years in the state. It's become less of a tax-friendly mecca for 1% types or retirees from the Northeast, and more diverse with many who are just plain tired of what seems like longer and longer winters.
In what way? Florida has no state income tax. Or state estate/inheritance tax. What's not to like if you have money? Robyn

Old 06-28-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Like I think I asked - do you live in Colorado? If so - why do you care who the governor in Florida is? Would you move here if we had a new Governor? Note that whether or not you say yes - I'd say thank you but no thank you. We have plenty too many people moving here already. Don't need any more.

I don't even know who the governor in Colorado is (and don't much care either). Wouldn't move there for any reason (too cold - can't blame that on the local politicians ).

FWIW - if your state is so great - why is your muni bond rating so middling (we're AAA)? Perhaps you would prefer a state with a more liberal government than mine or yours that's going broke?

Anyway - I've been pretty happy here for 40+ years. If you don't think you'd be happy here - for whatever reason - don't move here. Robyn
You are super friendly, and I sure appreciate your contribution to this thread about progressive areas of Florida (it's not mine but I'm interested in the topic). You must have won the $500 for hospitality.

I've got lots of family in Florida and have been many times over the last 20 years. I do live in CO and may move to FL at some point, but as I say, I wouldn't move to a 'red' state. Better dead than red.

Now, I've read that Florida is expected to become more 'blue' actually:

Steven Kurlander: RIP GOP in Florida, as State Becomes True Blue

That's good to hear. It's a beautiful state and I've met lots of great people there.

The reason I care about the various states is because I'm an American and I don't like plutocrats to run roughshod over American workers and poor people. Gets my dander up, you might say!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida