Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 03:09 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,840,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaZoo View Post
Correct if I'm wrong, but it's come to my understanding that most surface streets in Dallas and Houston are in deplorable condition due to the high summertime temperatures, occasional wintertime freezes, and the poor clay soil that is constantly expanding and contracting.

Generally speaking, Florida has the smoothest pavement in the entire country with Phoenix, AZ receiving an honorable mention.

By the way, all of the major cities in FL have impressive freeway systems compared to Tucson, AZ, which is where I currently live.
We have about as many problems with our roadways as any other state. Most of our roads (in Houston) are made out of concrete, rather than asphalt. I haven't really noticed any large potholes, cracks, or anything else in the freeways. There are a few roads in the Baytown area that are pretty rough, but they're rarely traveled commercial roads.

I travel often between Arlington, Houston, and San Antonio for work and haven't really noticed anything that I wouldn't have noticed in any other city that I've lived in. I think in all of the states I've lived in, Louisiana had the worst and Tennessee had the best.

Texas and Florida seem fairly similar in roadway quality, Texas just has a better planning system for their roadways, I don't know who came up with the idea of a permanent "feeder" road on the side of the freeway, but he/she was a genius and they should have them all over the US!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 12:45 PM

7,704 posts, read 12,543,156 times
I've moved back and forth between Florida and Texas for many years. This year, I finally went to California. And one thing I can tell you is that I have a much greater appreciation for my home (Florida) than I ever have before in my life. I guess I never took the time to realize how good we have it there. I'm back in Texas now and it's interesting comparing and contrasting my life in Florida to Texas. I much prefer Florida. However having lived in so many places and states in my life, I can tell you that you can have a good quality of life anywhere as long as you have money.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:54 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,840,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I can tell you that you can have a good quality of life anywhere as long as you have money.
Yeah, money is the key. Truthfully, Florida IMHO would be the best place to live in the country IF you had money. Trying to scrape by on a low paying job in Florida sucks.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:31 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,419,172 times
Sounds like you'll be happier in FL. I'd say just move back. It's your life to live where you'll be happiest and I wouldn't worry/be concerned what other people think.

But I'll bite. I like visiting FL for a few days or so but couldn't live there. Way to flat and humid. I much prefer living in the dry desert climate with all the mountains and having so many different climate zones within a few hours drive, especially in states like AZ or CA where you can go from skiing in the afternoon amongst the Ponderosa Pines and a 2 hour drive later, be in the warm desert with palm and orange trees to play tennis, golf, hike, bike, etc.

I think life's too short to live where you don't want to live/aren't happy......and too be concerned what other people think on what their idea of paradise is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida