Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2013, 10:48 AM

7 posts, read 22,605 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My family is looking to relocate to Florida from Massachusetts. I am trying to figure out where exactly that will be and I have lots of questions. I'm hoping some locals can give me some information to help figure out our best fit. We are looking to rent for a couple of year first.

Some facts about us that may help:
-we are a large family - 6 kids ranging from 7-18; with the three oldest needing college classes
-we homeschool, so school districts are not a factor (other than colleges of course!)
-we have pets; two little dogs and two cats - all fixed and well trained
-we need a lenient landlord; not just for the above, but also due to a financial hit we went through that effected our credit score
-internet access is a HUGE factor, as my husband works from home
-access to an airport for semi-regular flights back north
-a safe, clean, family friendly area is a must
-being in or within driving distance to a lively, "hip" area would be nice
-we do not want to spend more than 2k a month for 4+ bedrooms and (ideally) a pool home

I have family in Palm Bay, but after seeing numerous storms and the damage they have caused - I am not really looking there. Also, it is a bit farther south than I really want to venture right now (I like the slightly more moderate temps I've seen in NE FL). My family recommended Palm Coast to me, as they say it is in an area less likely to take a direct hit during a storm. I do know that living along the coast, ANY coast, there is always a chance - but hedging my bets with an area that statistically gets hit less seems like a good idea to me.
Does that "less direct hit storms" extend to St. A and lower to Flagler Beach and Ormond Beach too? I can't seem to find that answer in any research I've done.

Given my situation - where would you recommend I be looking? Any advice or tidbits of information you share are greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 11:03 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
I would recommend looking further north at the Jacksonville area. It's the least likely area for direct hits by hurricanes, has the progressive/lively areas you're looking for (the Southside and Beaches primarily) versus places like Palm Coast or Flagler Beach, access to colleges (UNF is a very good school), a nice airport with a surprising number of nonstop flights and a good variety of housing choices. There are numerous sources for rentals there as well in your budget. Websites like Craigslist, Trulia, HotPads are good options plus check out individual real estate offices that handle rentals via a Google search (they tend to be in locations specific to where you're focusing versus city-wide listings).

Old 06-22-2013, 11:21 AM

Thank you for such a quick reply!
I had not considered Jacksonville yet. Only due to hearing it was kind of a party town due to the college kids. I live in a state university city now - I'm not sure I want to trade for a bigger college atmosphere. Are there "quieter" sections? I do want exposure to activities - I don't necessarily want to live smack dab in the middle of it any more. Also - what are the crime rates like - being a bigger city?

Old 06-22-2013, 12:26 PM

25 posts, read 52,500 times
Jacksonville is definitely not a party town. While there are a couple of colleges and universities in the area, the vast majority of the city is nothing like a college town. I've lived in both Jacksonville and Flagler Beach/Palm Coast, and it sounds like Jacksonville will fit what you're looking for much better. While Palm Coast would have the housing you want at the price you're looking for and is a family friendly city, there are no real lively or hip areas of town. The nearest major airport would be in Jacksonville, and aside from the local community classes, the nearest college would be in St. Augustine or Datyona. Crime rates totally depend on what part of the city you're living in - some parts are pretty sketchy, while others are considered very safe.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:32 PM

Good to know!
Which areas should I concentrate looking in? I want to avoid the sketchy ones.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:23 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
For homes with pools in your price range check out areas like Baymeadows, Deerwood, Golden Glades/The Woods, East Arlington, the SW side of Jacksonville (south of I-10 and west of I-295) or the close in suburbs of Orange Park and Fleming Island.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:34 PM

55 posts, read 154,794 times
We moved last year from Connecticut to palm coast and we love it here!! We have three kids and between the beach, many family friendly trails & parks. Palm Coast has a population of 75,000 but you would never know it! It's spread out and the neighborhoods are quiet, peaceful.
I recommend flying down and looking around.
What I like about PC, it's safe & peaceful but it's 30 min from St Augustine or Daytona beach. It's one hour to either Jacksonville or Orlando
So many places to explore on the weekend ... We are never bored. And sunshine all year

Old 06-24-2013, 09:29 PM

195 posts, read 335,756 times
Saint Augustine is very family friendly, and there's a lot more to do with kids in a more controlled area than you may find in Jacksonville.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:34 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Guess it depends on what you like
Palm coast is the classic Florida housing development carved out of a piece of Florida wilderness and 5-10K single story houses built, a Google satellite shot will give you the idea,
St Augustine 30 miles north is an interesting city to live in or around.
When you do make a choice a 2-4 week trip to the area might be a good idea just to make sure you and the reality of the place are on the same page, and renting for the first year is always a good idea...
Best of luck..

Old 09-06-2013, 07:27 AM

17 posts, read 59,908 times
Default We love Palm Coast

We made the move to Palm Coast and are extremely happy with it. It would suit all your needs for sure. Clean, safe, and tons of house rentals available. I to work online and out of the home and Brighthouse internet has served me well over the last couple years.

As far as travel from the airports there are a few we use either orlando, sanford, daytona, or Jacksonville depending on price and timing. Allegiant into Sanford is usually the best price. and we found a great service that will take us to and from the airport for a really great price. Ben rides 386-334-4784

My favorite spot is the crescent beach area, the beach is awesome and lower in traffic, but it is a lot more expensive. Palm Coast is just close enough to all hip stuff being 20 mins from both St. Augustine and Daytona Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida