Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2013, 11:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,837 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I know this gets asked a lot but I haven't read anything that fits my situation, so I'm hoping to get some advice. I am planning to move to FL in November and I don't even know where to start.

My mom lives in Palm Beach Gardens so I'd like to live near her - maybe 30-45 minutes away. I am single, 35 years old (female) and am looking to rent an apartment in a quiet, safe town that is more likely to have other singles.

I will also need a job (lol) and right now I'm in Market Research. Saw some companies in the Ft. Lauderdale area, so that may be a good area for me but if anyone has any other suggestions, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 03:20 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,612,989 times
Boca Raton. Very nice, safe town. Plenty of Market Research companies in the area. Don't know about the singles scene.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:55 PM

591 posts, read 820,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Boca Raton. Very nice, safe town. Plenty of Market Research companies in the area. Don't know about the singles scene.
I second this.

There are plenty of marketing jobs to be had in Boca, and there are tons of business parks in and around the city. I used to work in the Arvida Park of Commerce when I lived in Boca.

IMO, it's so much better to live and work in Boca than in Ft. Lauderdale. Boca is safer, cleaner, more upscale, less congested, and less hectic than Ft. Lauderdale. Downtown Boca is a gem, and the city's beaches are so quiet, tranquil, and clean compared to the beaches further south in Broward and Miami-Dade. If you have a Boca Raton address, whether you live in city limits or not, you're eligible for a discounted beach parking pass. Get it, and you'll never have to leave Boca.

As an aside, if you're from New Jersey, Boca should fit you like a glove. It's the tropical version of New Jersey. On the other hand, Palm Beach Gardens, Jupiter, Tequesta, and most of North County better suit New Englanders like me.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:13 AM

5 posts, read 7,967 times
If you will take my suggestion, There are many apartments near the Palm Beach Gardens, where you will Stay and you can also do your Marketing Jobs.

Last edited by Sunscape; 06-29-2013 at 02:33 PM..

Old 06-28-2013, 11:14 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
I'm not so sure about Boca Raton and a "singles scene", besides that why commute that distance every day if working in the Fort Lauderdale area???? In my opinion Fort Lauderdale would offer more that environment for someone in their 30s and if you want a more suburban vibe check out nearby Weston, which is full of young professionals.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:54 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,822,829 times
There are a 'ton' of CD threads: "I'm planning on moving to Florida, but, have no job or place to live ... can you point me in the direction of a great, low rent community for singles?" -- In all honesty, "Planning to come to Florida to enjoy the beach and palm trees, ... and BTW hoping to find a good job and a place to live" ... is like the young people who used to move to California, hoping to become movie stars .... but, wound-up "parking cars and pumping gas."

Florida is like anyplace else (except for the climate and beach, of course) ... as long as one has a JOB, a place to live, transportation ... and a plan. It sounds like you at least have some education, employable skills and 'Market Research' experience (Real market research? ... or are you talking about 'telemarketing'?) Additionally, with your mother already living here, you could probably establish a 'temporary base of operations' until you found a job and a place to live.

But, you still need a plan! Your statement that you are "planning to move to FL in November, but, don't even know where to start" sounds almost as 'unplanned' as the remark "you will need to find a job ... (LOL?)" (Are you really 35?)

- With a real plan, with real goals and real actions -- you will find Florida a great place to live ... plus the beach and weather are much warmer than NJ in November. But, without a job, place to live and a plan ... you are probably better off in NJ.

Last edited by jghorton; 06-28-2013 at 12:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida