Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 06:10 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,595,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
I found, while living in Florida, that there was a LOT of cronyism, and that family members and friends were often promoted while others that were more qualified were denied.

I also noticed a lot of people being fired for random reasons when it was time for them to get a pay raise.
Cronyism along with Nepotism is very much alive and well here......even in my office, I have seen people promoted to upper level positions based on this over experience and actual merit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
IBM was insane in Boca in the 80's.....every kid on my block's parents worked there. They had that huge IBM fair every year (best part was everything was free) and Motorola had that huge plant in Boynton which is now mixed use residential/retail (not exactly and apples to apples replacement for thousands of tech workers).
Yes..I know several people that use to work for IBM...it was a huge campus and could have been something if the tide did not turn the opposite way, now it's a corporate park with mixed businesses which is better than what happened in Boynton at Gateway and Congress.....that whole business park to the east of there (Quantum) never materialized, a few places back off of High Ridge Road but that's it...and back in the 90's that land was suppose to be used for that purpose, instead it sat there vacant for years then during the big real estate boom they converted all to apartments and retail as well....so the land is gone along with any hope of bringing back those jobs.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:04 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,904,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Great put local mom/pop brick and mortar stores out of business to sell stuff cheaper online and staff it with minimum wage employees!
I think you have it wrong, generally the mom and pops pay minimum wage with no benefits. Amazon as I said in a prior post is not stupid, they have 1,400 jobs to fill and their pay rates and benefits will be enough to fill them.
Not sure how the location of Amazon will put local stores out of business, people from all over order from Amazon not just Florida. The biggest hurt Amazon will put on the local small business is either force the wage scales up or take their employees.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:30 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Amazon as I said in a prior post is not stupid, they have 1,400 jobs to fill and their pay rates and benefits will be enough to fill them.
That's not really true. They have the option to pay whatever they want with little to no benefits and they'll STILL have 40-50k apps for those 1,400 positions.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:44 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
That's not really true. They have the option to pay whatever they want with little to no benefits and they'll STILL have 40-50k apps for those 1,400 positions.
That is not unique to Amazon. It's a reflection on the state of our economy and "jobless" recovery

Old 07-04-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
That is not unique to Amazon. It's a reflection on the state of our economy and "jobless" recovery
I agree, and that was my point.

I can remember trying to relocate to Ft. Myers back around 2002-2003 time frame, I ended up having to take a job at Old Time Pottery and the hiring manager at the store told me that I was "lucky" because he had over 25,000 applications submitted, and that was in 2002-2003!

Old 07-05-2013, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Shows just how little you know about what is required to run a large scales business. They will be looking for people who can pass a drug test and a criminal background check. They must have a stable work history with work references (not job hoppers), and once hired must actually be productive in a physically demanding position. In order to get people like this Amazon will offer slightly more than the prevailing wage scale for unskilled positions along with benefits. With 14,000 positions to fill they cannot and will not pay what ever they wish. You can be assured they have already done the research. In Kansas their starting pay is $10.50 for days, $11.00 for nights, not minimum wage.
See:
http://www.glassdoor.com/Hourly-Pay/..._D_KO11,30.htm

Last edited by GreggT; 07-05-2013 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: Google is your friend!

Old 07-05-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Shows just how little you know about what is required to run a large scales business. They will be looking for people who can pass a drug test and a criminal background check. They must have a stable work history with work references (not job hoppers), and once hired must actually be productive in a physically demanding position. In order to get people like this Amazon will offer slightly more than the prevailing wage scale for unskilled positions along with benefits. With 14,000 positions to fill they cannot and will not pay what ever they wish. You can be assured they have already done the research. In Kansas their starting pay is $10.50 for days, $11.00 for nights, not minimum wage.
See:
Amazon.com Warehouse Associate Hourly Pay | Glassdoor
Yes, because with the millions of people in the state that have been unemployed, under employed, or HAD to hop from job to job, I'm sure there are just tons of great and skilled workers.

What planet do you live on? Have you been unemployed in the State of Florida and forced to apply for jobs that are below you, with hundreds, if not thousands, of other people who are also looking for work? Yes, they will get hundreds of thousands of applications, some will be recent high school grads, some will be unemployed, some will be under-employed, and some will even be college grads. With the amount of people that are applying, they will be under the assumption that they can hire whoever they want, for little pay, and are completely okay with it.

I've helped to run my families business before, so yes, I do know a bit about how business works. I also worked for Kroger in Tennessee and watched how reasonably high paying union jobs were destroyed when the economy crashed, Kroger got flooded with applications, and they went from paying their overnight workers a starting wage of $10.00/hr to $7.90.

Why? Because they can, and it saves them money.

Now days? The economy is getting better and they can't find anyone to work for them because of their low pay. I know you don't live in Texas, but if you go into a Kroger, Walmart, or any other large chain, you'll be waiting in line for a VERY long time in Houston, because they can't get anyone to work for minimum wage.

In Florida, where the economy is still struggling to get back to where it was, it's not within reason for Amazon to pay low wages.

I also talk to friends that still live in Nashville, where Amazon recently re-located to and opened a warehouse in (Lebanon, TN) in Nashville the starting pay is between $11-$13/hr. but Nashville isn't Tampa, FL. I'd almost be willing to bet that none of the people hired will make more than $10/hr. in Tampa.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Y
I've helped to run my families business before, so yes, I do know a bit about how business works. I also worked for Kroger in Tennessee and watched how reasonably high paying union jobs were destroyed when the economy crashed, Kroger got flooded with applications, and they went from paying their overnight workers a starting wage of $10.00/hr to $7.90.
"Helping" in a family business and running a large corporation is like lemons and coconuts. Having to possibly have a few employees (if that much) versus thousands satisfying both the government/state regulations and your stock holders is not even similar.

Quote:
I also talk to friends that still live in Nashville, where Amazon recently re-located to and opened a warehouse in (Lebanon, TN) in Nashville the starting pay is between $11-$13/hr. but Nashville isn't Tampa, FL. I'd almost be willing to bet that none of the people hired will make more than $10/hr. in Tampa.
That's exactly what the link I posted said, I'm sure it will be the same in the Tampa area.
And yes, in case you don't realize it, it is difficult to hire a person in Florida who can pass both a background and drug test. Add to that the physical requirements of a warehouse job, filling those positions will not be a piece of cake probably hiring three to retain one.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:

And yes, in case you don't realize it, it is difficult to hire a person in Florida who can pass both a background and drug test. Add to that the physical requirements of a warehouse job, filling those positions will not be a piece of cake probably hiring three to retain one.
I agree with you on the drug and criminal background checks...but Amazon is not a typical warehouse job and they even mention this in their recruitment pages.

I would say it's not a place for someone in bad health or is overweight, walking often...on concrete is a daily requirement.

Amazon Fulfillment - Fulfillment Associate

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida