Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 05:30 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,377,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
some times you have to make your money and come back when the time is right. No one is denying that Florida is an awesome place to live, but it seems that the state gives off a "It was the Best of Times, It was the Worst of Times" vibe... either you are well off or you arent.
Your right, it can be an awesome place to live and We thought it was pretty Awesome, however in South Florida from what we always observed and talking to people if you cant live the "lifestyle" its quiet difficult to live...I think so many people have this notion of what it will be, and for some it is exactly what they expected and for others not so much....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 05:31 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,594,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
Yep, its the same people that dont mind that we get 100,000 jobs at minimum wage because "at least its job creation"...bringing all these low wage warehouse and call center jobs just set the precedent for them to continue keeping wages low...its called the sunshine tax.... heaven forbid we reject a warehouse and say "listen up, we want skilled high tech workers", but it will never happen.
That's the way they werk it....when you see small businesses here, the ones where the owner has a reserved parking spot out front for his luxury car and a nice corner office with a big credenza and an attitude to go with it in a crudely maintained building and the company pay's poor wages, offers a crude work environment and poor tools to do the job...it all comes dow to one thing, because they can...you have to wonder when the attitude will ever change? There is not enough competition here for these places to want to pay more for high tech workers, they have a feeling like you are just a number and more money for you means less vacations to Vail for them.

In my line of work, I get an inside look at many businesses in South Florida, these people are my clients, I see a small handful where employees are valued and treated quite well, some are utter sweat shops and depressing, dirty, dated office equipment and lack of culture work environments...employees look miserable, turnover is quite high. Yet the CEO is living quite large, I have been to their houses too....many live in excess and do not invest back into their employees, it's quite sad because I when I tell them to make changes to increase productivity and profits, they say "that will cost too much money"...then 5 minutes later they talk about a $100K car they are eyeing up.

Last edited by THX 1138; 07-02-2013 at 06:45 PM..

Old 07-02-2013, 06:24 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,890,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
The Grass isnt always greener on the other side its just different...change is not always a bad thing either...
The grass may die in the wintertime, but cost of living, employment, and quality of life is much better in states north and west of the Sunshine State, no matter how many cheerleaders hop into the pyramid.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:44 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
While I don't live in your nice state I have applied for a few sales jobs and the pay was a joke. Both companies wanted me to relocate at my $$$ for a commission only job are you crazy? 5k in relocation costs for no guarantee at all don't think so. It's almost like the consider the sunshine a fringe benefit to make up for the lack of pay.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
The grass may die in the wintertime, but cost of living, employment, and quality of life is much better in states north and west of the Sunshine State, no matter how many cheerleaders hop into the pyramid.
Well put....

Old 07-02-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
I agree with you but what you or I feel is a better quality of Life might not be the same as other people, Hence why so many people are relocating to Boca or South Florida in General....We have lived in 6 different States and every time was a different experience..We do well in NC thank goodness we did well in South Florida but my cost of living is 1/2 of what it was in South Florida there is more expendable income because things are cheaper, although Food shopping is the same as in Florida, We have our 1st 2 Publix here with a 3rd opening up a few miles from where I live...We left NJ for a better quality of life many many years ago, went back to NJ and left again and haven't looked back with that however with all my experiences the grass isnt always greener and the cost of living and quality of life is great but if one isn't happy then its all Irrelevant...And I speak from Experience...people think Im nuts but Florida was home for me as it felt right, but I do see all the issues and problems it has along with every where else I have lived....I do have my issues and so does my family as to why we might not return in the near future in the meantime we are exploring a few other places as we plan to leave NC once our daughter is done with HS..

Old 07-02-2013, 09:32 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,890,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
I agree with you but what you or I feel is a better quality of Life might not be the same as other people, Hence why so many people are relocating to Boca or South Florida in General....We have lived in 6 different States and every time was a different experience..We do well in NC thank goodness we did well in South Florida but my cost of living is 1/2 of what it was in South Florida there is more expendable income because things are cheaper, although Food shopping is the same as in Florida, We have our 1st 2 Publix here with a 3rd opening up a few miles from where I live...We left NJ for a better quality of life many many years ago, went back to NJ and left again and haven't looked back with that however with all my experiences the grass isnt always greener and the cost of living and quality of life is great but if one isn't happy then its all Irrelevant...And I speak from Experience...people think Im nuts but Florida was home for me as it felt right, but I do see all the issues and problems it has along with every where else I have lived....I do have my issues and so does my family as to why we might not return in the near future in the meantime we are exploring a few other places as we plan to leave NC once our daughter is done with HS..
I don't think that's nuts, like you said previously, what some people feel, others feel differently. I was born and raised in Florida, but "home" to me will always be Nashville, TN. I'm living in Texas now, not because it's my first choice, but because I like the politics, the economy is super strong, the cost of living is super low, and the weather is pretty decent. It's a good quality of life for me, but I think I'd rather be back in Tennessee.

Florida is worlds apart now from what it was in 2000, I assume that it will be a completely unrecognizable place (to a native or someone that lived there between 2000-2010) by 2020. Who knows? At the rate that banks are starting to issue risky loans again, and investors are buying up Florida real estate again, Florida could bust again before it even recovers..

Old 07-02-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
I don't think that's nuts, like you said previously, what some people feel, others feel differently. I was born and raised in Florida, but "home" to me will always be Nashville, TN. I'm living in Texas now, not because it's my first choice, but because I like the politics, the economy is super strong, the cost of living is super low, and the weather is pretty decent. It's a good quality of life for me, but I think I'd rather be back in Tennessee.

Florida is worlds apart now from what it was in 2000, I assume that it will be a completely unrecognizable place (to a native or someone that lived there between 2000-2010) by 2020. Who knows? At the rate that banks are starting to issue risky loans again, and investors are buying up Florida real estate again, Florida could bust again before it even recovers..

that is what Im afraid of is how much will it change especially when its time for hubby and I to retire...lol

we lived there in 2010 and we were told it was nothing like 2000 and earlier...

I think that can be said for alot of places..I can tell you the Real Estate here in charlotte is off the wall..Bidding Wars and people going way over asking price just crazy...there is very little inventory here too...I hear TX is beautiful hubby had an opportunity in Austin but it really was too far from my family in NYC and NJ as I don't fly

Old 07-03-2013, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
While I don't live in your nice state I have applied for a few sales jobs and the pay was a joke. Both companies wanted me to relocate at my $$$ for a commission only job are you crazy? 5k in relocation costs for no guarantee at all don't think so. It's almost like the consider the sunshine a fringe benefit to make up for the lack of pay.
That is typical, they do not want to pay because they do not have to...very similar in San Diego where the COL is even higher.

The problem with Florida is, people vacation here and then think that the average person that lives here...lives like that everyday. Not the case...for some people, yes it is....of all the places I lived tough, Florida, in particular South Florida has a high amount of people who do not work or don't have to work, not all retirees but people of a common working age. Not uncommon to go out at lunch during the weekday and see plenty of people of both sexes dressed in t-shirt, shorts and flip flops, and no they are not tourists and can afford Starbucks and shopping malls.

I also noticed a lack in work ethic over the years I lived here, people tend to be very lazy and spoiled in the workplace with very little threat of being fired.

It's also common to see kids up past their 30's living with their parents here, probably explains the phenomenon above best. In my community alone, I know of a few I have met. They are the only ones do not go into any discussions about work related issues during conversations. Some have a sheepish vibe when it's even brought up.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:15 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,619,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post

Since you live in Colorado-stay there..I have lived in Florida for four years and have had to return to school-once I'm done I will return west-employers do not pay well (to say the least) and since the majority of the companies here are small-you will not even have decent benefits (I've worked for three employers and none had a 401k plan, and I worked in Finance).

I actually had two employers tell me they pay me in sunshine-and that is the reason they can offer me 45% less then what I was making in Denver-but the COL is not much cheaper here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida