Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2007, 04:59 PM

155 posts, read 1,052,845 times

Advertisements

Any ideas for opening up my own business with limited income? How do you think cleaning peoples homes would be, or is it too saturated? What other types of niches are not being met in SW FL partcualry the Sarasota, Venice, Northport area?

Is the service based market too saturated now, are there too , many

pest control, pool service, HVAC, people??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 12:24 PM

41 posts, read 317,611 times
First you should ask yourself, what you are familiar with, or what do you feel comfortable doing. What fields do you have experience in? Once you narrow it down, do some market research on the surrounding cities in the area and make a list of the existing businesses doing what you plan to do. Create a business plan, that is the best advice I can give. You will need it just to keep yourself focused on what you want to do.

Also, even though it is personal, what is your idea of limited income? Do you have strong enough credit to take out a reasonable loan to help fund your startup? I woul suggest trying to maintain a day job for the first few months, because your income from the business will be sporadic at best in the beginning.

I am opening a business in Florida myself next summer, albiet in the retail field, and I am trying to balance the financials as we speak. I plan to work at least part time through the summer season to fund the day to day expenses, while I chip away at my break-even point.

Service businesses do have their advantages, usually require less start-up capital, and oftentimes can be started by, and maintained by one or two people. Keep in mind though that without hiring extra men, your future income will become limited as well, but that is a good problem to have!

I look forward to talking with you more about this, I become pretty passionate about business myself.

Good luck to you.

-Anthony

Old 11-08-2007, 02:27 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times
I'm gonna throw this out there.

A few years ago there was a very nice woman who opened a pet cafe in Englewood. She served many fresh made goodies for pets (dogs mostly) and a limited menu for the people who the pets brought in.

She made custom doggie cakes, had birthday parties, etc. The trouble she had was that her location was not very visible and she had hired some people who were taking advantage of her trusting nature.

I was sad when she closed down. My dog & I were regulars, and we went to most of her holiday parties, pics with Santa, etc. Perhaps this is something that could be done, but in a bigger/busier place than Englewood.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:38 PM

847 posts, read 3,520,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
I'm gonna throw this out there.

A few years ago there was a very nice woman who opened a pet cafe in Englewood. She served many fresh made goodies for pets (dogs mostly) and a limited menu for the people who the pets brought in.

She made custom doggie cakes, had birthday parties, etc. The trouble she had was that her location was not very visible and she had hired some people who were taking advantage of her trusting nature.

I was sad when she closed down. My dog & I were regulars, and we went to most of her holiday parties, pics with Santa, etc. Perhaps this is something that could be done, but in a bigger/busier place than Englewood.
I would LOVE a place like this in Naples and thought about opening something like that. There are great dog loving people here, you would make cash!

Old 11-08-2007, 03:17 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,662,427 times
I know several people personally that live in SW Florida and some of them do the following.

One does own a pet grooming business and has more money to burn then almost anyone I know. He comes to Ohio, Ind, Pa and buys entire estates !
One does Flea Markets on weekends only and tells me he can knock down no less then 1k profit per weekend and 2k per weekend during winter months.
One has a Deli/Sub shop and tells me he is doing very wellm he told me that people have to eat and that is why he chose to do this.
One is an electrican who used to worked for a large builder in SW Florida and has ventured on his own, he has 3 trucks and 6 man crew.
One is an auctioneer who moved from Ohio to SW Fla and has two auctions per week.

Whatever skills you are taking with you apply them to the area as needed.

From what I hear from these and others the way to go is owning your own business. There is allot of money is SW Florida, any business that gives a service to the money will do well.

So with limited income, a small service type business would be my choice.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:27 PM

41 posts, read 317,611 times
I second that (or really, THIRD it! ) Pet owners are veeerrrrry loyal customers in many different fields, and the industry itself is very fast-growing.

I don't see any reason why this would not work in any fairly-populated middle class community. And it is an idea that could easily grow into a chain of locations someday, if this is something you would be interested in. (Which, I assume if you are planning to enter the business field, obtaining cash flow is one of your primary goals. )

Old 11-08-2007, 07:49 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,510,708 times
The city you decide on in SW FL will be key. There are pockets of areas in SW FL that have money but there are 10 of every sort of self-employed whatever. Then there are the pockets that need the services but it is limited income.

Economically & professionally the area is struggling. You will need to gear towards snowbirds & retirees who bring in the cash flow. Other than that, your average working person in SW FL is just getting by & probably wash their own dog & do their own windows.

Areas of Sarasota, Naples, Punta Gorda are good to look at---retirees/snowbirds w/ money. North Port, Port Charlotte, Fort Myers..risky.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:28 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
The city you decide on in SW FL will be key. There are pockets of areas in SW FL that have money but there are 10 of every sort of self-employed whatever. Then there are the pockets that need the services but it is limited income.

Economically & professionally the area is struggling. You will need to gear towards snowbirds & retirees who bring in the cash flow. Other than that, your average working person in SW FL is just getting by & probably wash their own dog & do their own windows.

Areas of Sarasota, Naples, Punta Gorda are good to look at---retirees/snowbirds w/ money. North Port, Port Charlotte, Fort Myers..risky.
We lived in Sarasota for 17 years, both of us trying to be self-employed because there were no good jobs there. Self employment is just another word for unemployment when it comes to that area - We almost lost our home. People there may have money but they are the CHEAPEST people on the planet!

Juno - I have no idea why you keep insisting on wanting to move to this area despite all the negative answers you get to all your questions, but all I can say is good luck, because you are going to need it. Hate to sound harsh, but you don't seem to be listening to us.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:12 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,835,513 times
Red face notes from retired business owner

I was self-employed my whole adult life and can tell you not to go into it without getting a good background in business (knowing tax and paperwork for Uncle Sam, being able to keep to a strict budget, much, much more).

I was a photographer and artistic by nature, however to stay in business it is more important to balance a checkbook than take great photos. I knew many talented photographers who declared bankruptcy and many crappy photographers who made great money.

In order to be successful in any business you have to provide a service or product that people can't get for less money elsewhere, it's just human nature to do that. And don't try to be the cheapest person providing the service, be the best at your price.

It helps if you are passionate about what you do. if you don't have any idea about what business you want to be in you should not be going into it. People can tell if you care deeply (and not just about the money.)
It is very important to get paid however. Passion doesn't pay the rent and buy groceries.

There are a lot of good books to read. Go to your library.

If you want to make a lot of money, look around and find out which people are doing that. Study them and how they do it. Make sure they are for real and not just profiling (such as driving a Mercedes but it's rented and their credit cards are maxxed out).
Careers in sales are a way to learn how to be successful. If you can sell one thing you can sell ANYTHING.

Self-employment is great for women and minorities because you are in charge of your own success and no one can keep you down. I especially liked the fact that being self-employed means you don't have one boss you have 100 or more. And if one of them gets mad at you and leaves ("fires you") you still have 99 left. It's the best security you could ever have except that you have to pay 100% of your insurance, rent and retirement plan.

Go for it. Whats the worst that could happen?

Retired in Florida

P.S. Don't use all your savings to start a new business unless you are under 40 without dependents. it's OK to fail but not if you are too old to make a new start or your kids will go hungry.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:18 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,607,255 times
Anything that is "pet related" will do well in FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida