Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2013, 04:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,463 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to move to Florida, but can not decide on a town. I do not want to go any further South than Gainesville or Orlando, no further East than Tallahassee, not inside a major city, or necessarily a town on the beach. We have an elementary school age son, and are looking for an area that is family friendly, good educational system, low crime, and affordable. We are looking for homes under $150,000. We prefer not to commute far or deal with horrible traffic. I'd like for the cost of living to be on the lower side (a family of three can live on less that $80,000 a year).
Side note: We are from a small GA town and I read that some towns hold "rednecks" and elderly, so that does not phase us. He will be working in law enforcement and I will have a Associates in accounting, so we will be looking for job opportunities in those areas of work. If that helps any!
Any input would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 12:50 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,212,295 times
You might try researching Gainesville or Ocala

Probably not quite what you are looking for but ya gotta start somewhere..

Law Enforcement Jobs, Employment in Gainesville, FL | Indeed.com

Law Enforcement Jobs, Employment in Ocala, FL | Indeed.com

Old 07-06-2013, 04:43 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,133,648 times
Tallahassee is a wonderful city. Its great schools for children, and lots of parks and outdoor activities.

I would say for what you want Tallahassee cant be beat.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:17 AM

27,075 posts, read 43,723,281 times
I think Ocala would be a good option for you as well. The SE side in the Ocala Forest High School district would be my recommendation.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:29 PM

260 posts, read 908,154 times
I think I know exactly what your looking for. I found a town like that is inland further south that you want. It's Bartow. Population around 18,000. It has 2 grocery stores and a walmart, several other chain stores and restaurants and the nearest town that is bigger is 10 miles away with more chain stores, restaurants, grocery stores, etc. There open spaces when you go from one town to the other. Houses in town have nice sized lots. I have a 1/2 acre. People take pride in their homes and none look alike. Most in my neighborhood are older and have been well taken care of. I have a few large groups of school kids walk by my house 2 times a day and they looked well dressed and are not cussing or smoking. I moved from a much bigger area near the beach and don't miss it one bit. A lot of people make fun of Bartow and Polk county. It's not for everyone but if you want a laid back, peaceful town you may want to look into it. I don't have school age children but have been told that the schools are good here. I don't see a lot for kids to do, malls, movies, etc so IMO the kids are busy doing after school activities and probably are involved in church activities also. Tampa is 40 miles and Winter Haven is 10 miles, Lakeland is 15 miles and Orlando is about 70 miles north east. As far as traffic jams here the only time I have seen one is because of an accident or road construction. I seldom go on the main roads. I can take the side streets to the shopping center where publix is. If you could tell us the size of the town you live in now that would help.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:35 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,133,648 times
Stay away from Polk County at all costs... Some people may not have a problem with it, or see the bad sides... but make no mistakes, it has the highest rates of drug abuse (Meth) and child abuse in the state.

Its really a trash pit.

Plan may not have young kids, or experience the issues, but i urge you to avoid this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida