Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Seeking information from people who moved to Florida in 2006/2007; cost of living compared to other state, overall experience, still happy with move

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 08:34 PM

34 posts, read 30,539 times

Advertisements

raleigh is fine. durham has problems, but it's not that bad really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 01:57 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,904,525 times
I was just reading this and now I understand what people did to get in the mess . But what to do to get out of it? If you moved here in the past 2 years you will have to pay the taxes.

The News-Press, news-press.com, Legislature, Possible tax reform impact addressed by different groups (http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artikkel?&Dato=20071111&Kategori=NEWS0120&Lopenr=7 1110027&Ref=AR - broken link)

Old 11-12-2007, 02:57 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,661,654 times
Please get back to the topic, if you moved to Florida in 06 or 07, this is not about taxes, many of us want to get a first hand feel for those who have moved to Fla in the last couple of years.
If you want to talk about taxes do a thread on taxes. Its been covered a million times on this board.
Your burying peoples opinions under all the other issues, these people took their time to answer the topic and deserve to have it keep on topic.
Thank you

Old 11-12-2007, 03:09 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,155,464 times
Let get back to the topic, personal views are your views don't impose.. See rules.. I'm deleting a few that just fail to think before they type.

Thank you.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:14 PM

460 posts, read 2,343,829 times
Default *Ahem*....My Input lol

Answers to your questions!

Such as where did you move from and to?
We moved from central Illinois to Palm Coast Florida on July 2nd of this year.

Did you make the right choice of towns? We feel so far that we did make the right choice of towns. We love where Palm Coast is situated. Its perfect.

Would you do it again? YES YES!

Wish you did it sooner? YES! But I have always wanted to live in Florida

Wish you wouldnt have ever done it?NOPE

Did you research the town you moved to?YES did alot of research here on City Data

Are you happy? VERY VERY HAPPY HERE! I really dont have any complaints!

What about cost of living compared to your former state? I really think its about the same as where we lived in Illinois. Its not any more expensive.

Did you get excited to move and are you still excited to be there or not?
I was very excited about our move, and we did it all by ourselves with 3 kids and 1 huge dog and a cat going 1100 miles. and yes everyday I am glad to be here!

Just some general idea of what you think, both the good and the bad.

I think that parts of Florida can be bad like some people say here. I for one, would never want to live in south Florida. I will save that for visiting, lol. But north Florida is perfect! I say that Florida is for you IF you like hot summers, beaches, palm trees, dont mind a few bugs at times, etc.
The one thing I do get mad about is seeing over development... I think there are too many houses and I wish they would stop building and taking the woods etc away.

Did City Data info/post help you in your choice? Yes somewhat, but I am glad I did not listen to all the negativity. However, it did help me know the good plus the bad.

Jen

Old 11-14-2007, 04:28 PM

Hello Jen, thanks for your input.

Yes, you lucky thing you are in paradise like your sigy states, aren't you!!

Old 11-14-2007, 06:37 PM

31 posts, read 126,668 times
Default Massachusetts to Florida

We moved from central Massachusetts to Florida Dec. 30, 2006. My husband got a job promotion that brought us down here. We moved to Naples, FL.

I was very lucky to get a job in 5 weeks!

I have 3 kids in school and was not impressed with the education. My kids were bored in public school. I believe New England has a better education.

Cost of living for food, etc. about the same. Housing expensive. We are renting right now and it is expensive.

Overall, we love Naples - very clean and friendly, love the beach, easy to get around, lots of shopping places!

We never thought of moving to FL (it was not on our list of places to move!), especially Naples, but we are happy we did, and we would probably do it again. We love the weather and the kids seem happy.

We did surf the net, and this site.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needachange View Post
We moved from central Massachusetts to Florida Dec. 30, 2006. My husband got a job promotion that brought us down here. We moved to Naples, FL.

I was very lucky to get a job in 5 weeks!

I have 3 kids in school and was not impressed with the education. My kids were bored in public school. I believe New England has a better education.

Cost of living for food, etc. about the same. Housing expensive. We are renting right now and it is expensive.

Overall, we love Naples - very clean and friendly, love the beach, easy to get around, lots of shopping places!

We never thought of moving to FL (it was not on our list of places to move!), especially Naples, but we are happy we did, and we would probably do it again. We love the weather and the kids seem happy.

We did surf the net, and this site.
Thanks for the input, as many bashers here put down Naples and SW Florida you are not the only one to mention you like it there.

Naples is beautiful.......

Old 01-22-2008, 11:00 AM

14 posts, read 60,982 times
Default Never Happier!!!

Floridabound09,
My husband and I moved here in November of 2006. We actually moved to St. Cloud from Long Island NY. We were looking for a house in NY for about 4 years!! We couldn't afford anything and we both have good jobs, both with college degress, but not enough for L.I. The houses we could afford were all 50 years and older and needed a lot of work. We could have "made it" there, living paycheck to paycheck like most, but we decided we did not want to live that way. We researched the area and made 3 separate trips and stayed weekends to check central Florida out. We fell in love with the subdivision we now call home. We were married a little over a year and were able to afford a 4 bedroom 3 bath home, that wasn't even an option in NY. We both feel extrememly blessed to have moved here. It was the best decision we have ever made. I was "homesick" for a good 3 months after we moved here and was unemployed for the same amount of time. I won't lie it was hard to find a job here. We closed on our house and my husband went straight to a job interview so we took a big chance but it all worked out. I will always miss NY, I grew up there for 25 years, but we now have a chance to start a family in the coming years and have plenty of room to grow here. Everyone's life and situations are different, you have to do your research, and while I did use city-data for some of it, the best education you can get is to see it all first hand. As you know there are a lot of nay sayers here and they all have their reasons I'm sure, but do not let that change your mind. In this case knowledge is truly power. I wish you all the best in the serach for your piece of paradise!!

Old 01-22-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by italnyer View Post
Floridabound09,
My husband and I moved here in November of 2006. We actually moved to St. Cloud from Long Island NY. We were looking for a house in NY for about 4 years!! We couldn't afford anything and we both have good jobs, both with college degress, but not enough for L.I. The houses we could afford were all 50 years and older and needed a lot of work. We could have "made it" there, living paycheck to paycheck like most, but we decided we did not want to live that way. We researched the area and made 3 separate trips and stayed weekends to check central Florida out. We fell in love with the subdivision we now call home. We were married a little over a year and were able to afford a 4 bedroom 3 bath home, that wasn't even an option in NY. We both feel extrememly blessed to have moved here. It was the best decision we have ever made. I was "homesick" for a good 3 months after we moved here and was unemployed for the same amount of time. I won't lie it was hard to find a job here. We closed on our house and my husband went straight to a job interview so we took a big chance but it all worked out. I will always miss NY, I grew up there for 25 years, but we now have a chance to start a family in the coming years and have plenty of room to grow here. Everyone's life and situations are different, you have to do your research, and while I did use city-data for some of it, the best education you can get is to see it all first hand. As you know there are a lot of nay sayers here and they all have their reasons I'm sure, but do not let that change your mind. In this case knowledge is truly power. I wish you all the best in the serach for your piece of paradise!!
Thanks and congrats! DW and I both know we made a huge mistake 25 years ago when we wanted to stay in Florida and did not. Your still young and took the chance and it will work out for you because you are strong and have already shown to make good decisions.
I still have a 9 year old at home and I want her to grow up not being cramped up inside for 6 months per year. She loves the heat, the ocean, the sand etc.
We have been traveling Florida for 25+ years and vacation at least 4 weeks per year there now as well as I am in Florida several times per month on business. We have a list and we have narrowed allot of cities down by just spending time there.
Goodluck on your move and your new home. Everyone will miss the towns they grew up but what I tell my DD is that things change all the time, you have to be ready to adapt to those changes when they occur.
You already have done that, I commend you for that at 25 years old.

We were married a little over a year and were able to afford a 4 bedroom 3 bath home

Fanstastic ! on both your marriage and your new home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida