Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 04:08 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,389,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Plus, there are more people there, so more potential cleints, more potential business, which means more potential money. Dont get started on why there are so many law firms in S FL. It's called greed, and people willing to sue anyone at anytime because of that greed.
Are you trying to say there's more people in Tallahassee than South Florida?

For the record, I would bet Tallahassee has a greater number of lawyers per capita than South Florida by a long shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 04:45 PM

71 posts, read 297,191 times
Quote:
Plus, there are more people there, so more potential cleints, more potential business, which means more potential money. Dont get started on why there are so many law firms in S FL. It's called greed, and people willing to sue anyone at anytime because of that greed.
I don't think, though, that South Florida is any more litigious than Americans in general. Also, Jacksonville proper might have a larger population than Miami, but the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale/Palm Beach (i.e.: South Florida) is home to almost 6 million people.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:22 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,910,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Are you trying to say there's more people in Tallahassee than South Florida?

For the record, I would bet Tallahassee has a greater number of lawyers per capita than South Florida by a long shot.
No, that's not at all what I'm saying. I was saying the exact opposite. SFL has more lawyers, more whatevers than the panhandle due to the amount of people in S FL. More people, more business, more money. Luckily for the folks in the panhandle, there are far more people in S FL.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:33 AM

402 posts, read 1,055,507 times
Jacksonville has led the state in crime per capita for 10 years straight so to think crime is worse down south is just false. Jacksonville does not look like florida, but looks like south georgia instead. You dont have pretty white beachs here and clear water. The water is filthy dark like anywhere else.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:01 AM

^^^ I'd still take it over S FL, muddy ocean water and all.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:22 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,890,555 times
Quote:
^^^ I'd still take it over S FL, muddy ocean water and all.
Probably because of the lower crime rate, right?

Old 01-18-2010, 10:27 AM

No, from my experience in Jax, and we have friends that live there, it seems easier to get away from the crime. There are definitely some ghettos in Jax, I've seen 'em by taking a wrong exit off of I95 once. But you can live in most of Jax, imo, and be away from the bad areas.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:05 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,486,328 times
As an immigrant,I checked for cities,not for areas...

I originally liked Houston,but the weather was not warmer than Ath,GR...

Then I focused on FL,it would be either Jax or Mia,cause I want to live in a "big " city...
& Mia won due to climate & glamour...

Scarface,Miami Vice,CSI Miami,Bahamas,Cuba- in the future......

They run CSI in only 3 cities,NYC,Vegas,Mia... These are the most glamorous in USA & 2 of them are the real America...

Old 01-19-2010, 07:52 PM

96 posts, read 357,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam.g.harpool View Post
I am so sick and tired of these types of generalizations.

And that is really nothing more than one gargantuan generalization. How many times have we heard it in various forms? South Florida is a dump where reggaeton-blaring Hispanics will rob your grandmother and run you off of I-95, while North Florida is Shangri-La with honey flowing in rivers, nothing but impeccably polite people who will roll a red carpet out in front of you wherever you walk, and money literally falling from trees because everything is so cheap. Enough with this nonsense. As a person who (mostly) grew up in North Florida, but chose to live in South Florida for cultural and economic/career reasons, I reject it - in fact, I emphatically reject it.

This is really a preferences thing, though. I would never be as brash as to say that North Florida is "unlivable", but it does not at all suit my preferences. I have enough common sense to recognize that the same things that so strongly pushed me away from North Florida and so strongly attracted me to South Florida would have the polar opposite effects on a different group of people. For me, immigration means diversity and being able to live next to a veritable representation of the world. I do not enjoy living next to a bunch of short-sighted bigots who cannot extrapolate reality outside of their little homogeneous, 10,000-resident fiefdom. Some people enjoy that type of life, and they have their choice of communities in North Florida, particularly in the Panhandle. It does not imply that North Florida is more "livable" than South Florida; the meaning of that word depends very much on the person you ask. I do not find North Florida livable by my standards. Just ask me why, and I can give you a book.

Again, I have heard the "politeness and hospitality" argument applied to North Floridians (and also by these rather loud "half-backers" who view Georgia and Tennessee as some sort of Promised Land) a billion times, primarily by people who have never lived in North Florida. First, I find it so incredible that people are so impressed by the superficial; they go to some North Florida town like Perry for a day or two, hear a customer service person say "Y'all have a nice day now!" and think "Well oh my, this is paradise" - and that is often the limit of their knowledge of the region. And secondly, tt's all relative. South Floridians are no ruder than people in Los Angeles, Chicago, New York, or any other large, densely populated urban agglomeration. A brief reading of history in this country, meanwhile, reminds people that small-town people in the South are "hospitable" only up to a certain extent (namely, to white, heterosexual, Protestant Christians.) I mind my own business, and other than some inane drivers, I really haven't had any problems with "rude" South Floridians.

As far as the economy, Northern Florida isn't known as the "welfare belt" of the state for nothing. How many Fortune 1000 companies are based in Tallahassee, Pensacola, and Jacksonville as compared to the bottom 3 counties? Why do all of the major consulting, law, and engineering firms have their largest offices in the state in South Florida, if they even have offices at all in northern Florida cities? Cost of living may be higher here, but the salaries in South Florida are the highest in the state outside of Naples.

It's clear that South Florida-bashing is a favorite pasttime of many people on this board, many of whom would be well-advised to move, as others have suggested time and time again. But as a person who has lived in the "rural paradise" of North Florida for many years, I fell that somebody needs to provide a bit of a reality-check and some balance to the discussion.
This goof is making this up, he needs to get things straight then post, Epic Fail.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
As an immigrant,I checked for cities,not for areas...

I originally liked Houston,but the weather was not warmer than Ath,GR...

Then I focused on FL,it would be either Jax or Mia,cause I want to live in a "big " city...
& Mia won due to climate & glamour...

Scarface,Miami Vice,CSI Miami,Bahamas,Cuba- in the future......

They run CSI in only 3 cities,NYC,Vegas,Mia... These are the most glamorous in USA & 2 of them are the real America...

Miami is glamorous? That's one of the reasons you chose Miami is because you perceived it as "glamorous?" Are you serious?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida