Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 02:16 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,118,057 times

Advertisements

We have all seen the latest "why I hate Florida" or the "Florida sucks wind" postings. This thread will show the flip side

Here is one story:

1. You will never be bored in Florida.

The Sunshine state, or the Funshine state as I like to call it, has so much to offer tourists and residents alike. With a variety of bigger cities like Miami, Orlando, and Jacksonville sprinkled amidst a wide variety of smaller, homestyle-feeling towns, there is truly something for everyone. You can always find events and festivals, like around Christmas time in Mount Dora, Florida every year. Just 40 minutes from Orlando, this little city has a small town feel with vintage flair. The citizens there string up lights so beautifully, so majestically that the town just twinkles for all to see. What a great way to get into the holiday spirit. Gasparilla over in the Tampa area is another great festival that Florida has to offer. Florida could be home for you if you enjoy:
  • Fishing. Towns like Cedar Key, Steinhatchee, Fort Myers, and Titusville are some cities and towns in Florida where fishing is a favorite pastime.
  • Shopping. Orlando, with it's sprawl of outlet malls and indoor malls, is a haven for bargain hunters. It is a must-see destination for travelers from all over the world. Get designer clothes and products for a fraction of the retail value. There are unbelievable deals just waiting to be uncovered!
  • Antiqueing. Florida is home to a plethora of flea markets and antique-friendly towns. Lakeland, Lake Wales, Webster, Mount Dora, Micanopee, Winter Park, and many other areas throughout the state offer a wide variety of antiques available to suit your taste.
  • Relaxing. A haven for snowbirds, Florida has long been popular among retirees and those looking for a good blend of fun and relaxation. Fort Myers, Sarasota, and Naples over on the Gulf coast of Florida are hot spots for retirees.
  • Learning. With several large state universities, Florida is a prime location for students seeking a solid education. Orlando's University of Central Florida, Tallahassee's Florida State University, and the University of Florida in Gainesville are three reputable higher education institutions that offer excellent degree programs in a wide variety of topics. As a graduate of the University of Central Florida myself, I know firsthand that UCF is a quality place to gain knowledge.
  • Thrill. From Orlando's Universal Studio Islands of Adventure to Tampa's Busch Gardens, Central Florida is speckled with theme parks and other attractions! These theme parks offer rides, food, games, and fun for the whole family. As a Central Florida resident, I certainly like the fact that I don't need to make major travel plans in order to enjoy the theme parks. They're right in my backyard.

2. It is Cheap to Live in Florida

Although it may not be the absolute cheapest place to live, it certainly is not expensive. My husband and I bought our house for $85,000 and we live close to everything we could possibly need.
In addition, the sales tax rate is low--here in Orlando, the sales tax is 6.5%. We also do not pay local or state income tax, and I can't complain about that.
Plus, since our winters are relatively mild, we don't spend a lot of money on winter clothes and shoes, and it doesn't take as much energy to heat our houses since they're well insulated to ward off the sweltering summer.

3. Florida Weather is Incredible

We go to the beach in December! It is amazing. I did live in Germany for a year while in college, and the worst part was having to spend 10 minutes just getting ready to go outside. Long underwear, huge jacket, socks, shoes (no flip-flops!), gloves, a hat.. the whole bit. Not in Florida! Throw on a tank top, shorts, flip-flops and maybe some sunglasses and you're just about ready to go!
Winters have gotten steadily milder, and hurricanes have been very, er, gentle since 2005. We're keeping our fingers crossed that it stays that way. Living in Orlando, we usually don't get the worst of the hurricanes, anyway. I feel exceptionally safe here.

4. You're never more than 45 minutes away from the beach.

It's true! No matter where you are in the entire state of Florida -- Miami, Orlando, Alachua, Winter Park, Pensacola-- you are never more than approximately 45 minutes from a beach. It's glorious. And because there are so many beaches, Florida is also home to not 1, 2, 3, 4, but FIVE cruise ports -- Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Port Canaveral, Tampa, and Jacksonville. If you love cruising, you can save a lot of money on airfare if you live in Florida.

Where would you rather live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 02:54 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,218,725 times
Number 3 is debatable to say the least.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:58 PM

745 posts, read 1,582,250 times
I agree on all parts, except I live in Daytona Beach, and we all know that it is worse here than in Detroit or Oakland.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:03 AM

443 posts, read 558,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Seriously.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:28 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,892,988 times
The weather and the Salt Life are the two main reasons I love living here. Can't beat the Florida summers. They are AWESOME!

Old 07-16-2013, 06:22 AM

641 posts, read 1,020,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
We have all seen the latest "why I hate Florida" or the "Florida sucks wind" postings. This thread will show the flip side

2. It is Cheap to Live in Florida

Although it may not be the absolute cheapest place to live, it certainly is not expensive. My husband and I bought our house for $85,000 and we live close to everything we could possibly need.
In addition, the sales tax rate is low--here in Orlando, the sales tax is 6.5%. We also do not pay local or state income tax, and I can't complain about that.
Plus, since our winters are relatively mild, we don't spend a lot of money on winter clothes and shoes, and it doesn't take as much energy to heat our houses since they're well insulated to ward off the sweltering summer.

WRONG, LOL compare COL with wages and it comes out even or worse than most Northern states..

Old 07-16-2013, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
The weather and the Salt Life are the two main reasons I love living here. Can't beat the Florida summers. They are AWESOME!
Really? You've never told us that before.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:41 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,313,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigtnelson View Post
Seriously.
Considering the recent heatwaves in the northeast, and the heatwaves I've often seen in the midwest, I don't think it's that debatable. Syracuse is literally going to be 95 as a high on Friday. On the coast of FL it won't get near that hot.

Mainly it comes down to whether you'd rather sweat in the summer consistently in FL or freeze your butt off in the winter up north. That's why many people become snowbirds if they can pull it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
WRONG, LOL compare COL with wages and it comes out even or worse than most Northern states..
Nope. Completely depends on your occupation and wage. You can't generalize that to all situations. Most people I've talked to, including my own situation, ended up doing better in FL thanks to a lack of an income tax along with lower property and sales taxes compared to places like NY, NJ and CT. The one thing NJ did have was cheap gas.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:59 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,892,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigtnelson View Post
Really? You've never told us that before.
Maybe you need to pay attention more. I believe I have mentioned it.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Considering the recent heatwaves in the northeast, and the heatwaves I've often seen in the midwest, I don't think it's that debatable.
Heatwave != Regular summertime weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Syracuse is literally going to be 95 as a high on Friday. On the coast of FL it won't get near that hot.

When will people get it that down here, YOU HAVE TO LOOK AT THE DEWPOINT/HUMIDITY/"REAL FEEL" TEMPERATURE READINGS TO KNOW WHAT IT ACTUALLY FEELS LIKE

It could be 90 degrees with a dewpoint in the mid to upper 70s on a sunny day which would MAKE IT FEEL LIKE 105 OR HIGHER.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida