U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 10:37 AM
Status: "No escaping the jaws of the alien in time" (set 11 days ago)

6,626 posts, read 4,656,413 times

Advertisements

Obviously those on the actual actual coasts are self explanatory. But what about those in the middle of the state, what's the dividing line between where someone would say "I live on the gulf coast" or "I live on the east coast" even if their county is landlocked? Is it lake Okeechobee? A highway? A river? What do you consider to be the divide between east and west?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 11:15 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,029,271 times
If it's landlocked I consider it "along the middle of the state".

Old 07-20-2013, 11:22 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,593,871 times
I75 is the divider in North to Central Florida. Southern Florida is divided typically on an imaginary line extending straight from where the interstate turns. If one is removed from the coast by more than two counties, one is in interior or inland Florida

Old 07-20-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
I75 is the divider in North to Central Florida. Southern Florida is divided typically on an imaginary line extending straight from where the interstate turns. If one is removed from the coast by more than two counties, one is in interior or inland Florida
Yeah but if someone is in the interior of Massachusetts they'd still be considered east coast. And Florida isn't very thick from east to west, even the landlocked towns are not too far from the sea.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:39 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,593,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Yeah but if someone is in the interior of Massachusetts they'd still be considered east coast. And Florida isn't very thick from east to west, even the landlocked towns are not too far from the sea.
Well, in regards to USA, Florida is on the "east coast" as a state. Gulf coast states typically indicates AL, MS, LA, and sometimes TX.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
Well, in regards to USA, Florida is on the "east coast" as a state. Gulf coast states typically indicates AL, MS, LA, and sometimes TX.
Actually Florida is both, Miami is east coast, Naples is gulf coast.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:24 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,927,126 times
Unless you live ON the coast, you live inland in Florida.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:20 PM

315 posts, read 278,142 times
Wow, most of the replies to this thread COMPLETELY missed the point of the OP's question. Reminds me of the 6th grade when I asked my teacher if Cuba was considered part of "North America". She was quite exasperated and replied being an island it wasnt on any continent, but I was asking what it would be classified. As I dont live in Florida, OP, I cant really help you out much but Id refer to Nielsen DMA maps and the like to find out which counties are in each city's sphere of influence and break it down that way.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:02 AM

3,744 posts, read 7,140,145 times
well if you're talking south Florida Collier County (Naples) would be considered Gulf Coast and then all we have is Everglades Swamp between us and Miami so that's a straight forward Gulf Coast Vs East Coast.

If people don't live actually in a beach town and are say more than 2-3 counties inland they're considered Interior Florida. They don't designate a coast. We just call them North Central Florida, Central Florida etc.. Think Orlando. From where I am in Naples we would call it Central Florida. No coast designation.

I always liked though, I live on the South West coast of the East coast of the US.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:04 AM

578 posts, read 1,037,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Obviously those on the actual actual coasts are self explanatory. But what about those in the middle of the state, what's the dividing line between where someone would say "I live on the gulf coast" or "I live on the east coast" even if their county is landlocked? Is it lake Okeechobee? A highway? A river? What do you consider to be the divide between east and west?
As others have already pointed out, if the county does not touch the coast, it's landlocked so the argument about whether or not it may be east or Gulf Coast becomes irrelevant. As for a dividing line, the closest thing would be the county boundary separating Monroe/Miami-Dade counties. Although a small portion of Monroe county could be considered east coast, the majority of the coastal Monroe county is located on the gulf side. Below is a list of coastal counties.

East Coast
Nassau
Duval
St. Johns
Flagler
Volusia
Brevard
Indian River
St. Lucie
Martin
Palm Beach
Broward
Miami-Dade

Gulf Coast
**Monroe
Collier
Lee
Charlotte
Sarasota
Manatee
Hillsborough
Pinellas
Pasco
Hernando
Citrus
Levy
Dixie
Taylor
Jefferson
Wakulla
Franklin
Gulf
Bay
Walton
Okaloosa
Santa Rosa
Escambia

**Portions of Monroe County are located on Florida's east coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Midwest Noobie View Post
Wow, most of the replies to this thread COMPLETELY missed the point of the OP's question. Reminds me of the 6th grade when I asked my teacher if Cuba was considered part of "North America". She was quite exasperated and replied being an island it wasnt on any continent, but I was asking what it would be classified. As I dont live in Florida, OP, I cant really help you out much but Id refer to Nielsen DMA maps and the like to find out which counties are in each city's sphere of influence and break it down that way.
Why did you dig up a year-old thread, liken all the initial responses to reminding you of being in the 6th grade and then not answer the OP's question?

Last edited by HeartofFlorida; 07-20-2014 at 09:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida