Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 02:03 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times

Advertisements

In my youth i spent 20yrs in the St Pete area working mostly outdoors, that whole time we never once had an air conditioner in home or car, i dont ever remember the heat and humidity being overwhelming back in those days, now at 65 when visiting family and friends in Florida anything over 80 degrees i'm feeling major discomfort and that A/C unit is definitely on, so i'm sure age and physical condition play a major role in how one tolerates heat and humidity..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 03:27 AM

97 posts, read 160,243 times
It's about 2:15 in the morning right now in Phoenix and it is 91 degrees. That's just wrong, personally. For those complaining about the heat in Florida, at least it doesn't feel like you're about to light on fire when the wind is going. Our wind is probably the closest natural equivalent of being in an oven (except actually being on fire.) My skin can prove this.

I've been to Florida a couple times in my life, and more recently I was in Cambodia. I also used to work outside here in Arizona. Hands down, the wet heat is better than the dry heat. But according to you guys, that's just me.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:42 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Sounds as though you were maybe in a highrise and got those nice breezes off Tampa Bay?
I rented a 6th floor unit and then bought a 3rd floor unit.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:14 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy feet View Post
It's about 2:15 in the morning right now in Phoenix and it is 91 degrees. That's just wrong, personally. For those complaining about the heat in Florida, at least it doesn't feel like you're about to light on fire when the wind is going. Our wind is probably the closest natural equivalent of being in an oven (except actually being on fire.) My skin can prove this.

I've been to Florida a couple times in my life, and more recently I was in Cambodia. I also used to work outside here in Arizona. Hands down, the wet heat is better than the dry heat. But according to you guys, that's just me.
9:00 last night and the heat index was still 97... it can stay hot here too.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:07 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,021,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy feet View Post

Today didn't feel so bad to me. I think it got up to 108 but the humidity went back down to 15%. It got up to 95 in St. Pete today, where I used to live. You factor that humidity of what, 60% and you have a heat index of about 112. See the graph for yourself!

I just like the conveniences an arid environment provides. I don't have to take as many showers, I don't have to do my laundry as much. I don't have to chase mold. I don't even have to mow my lawn, it's all rocks and cactus! Maybe I'm just lazy.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:25 PM

745 posts, read 1,583,324 times
Yea, it's brown and desolate. No thanks.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:41 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,021,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo384 View Post
Yea, it's brown and desolate. No thanks.
Brown, yes, but in a handsome way. As far as desolate goes, there are over 4.3 million people in this valley. I wouldn't consider this desolate:

Anyway I'll butt out of this topic, as this is about Florida's humidity.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:45 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
Brown, yes, but in a handsome way. As far as desolate goes, there are over 4.3 million people in this valley. I wouldn't consider this desolate:

Anyway I'll butt out of this topic, as this is about Florida's humidity.
Being in that valley sure does keep the air pollution trapped though. Top 5 worst in the country I believe.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:06 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,821,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Yikes!

No worries for me though. I am not a sun tan worshiper. I spend a lot of time outside in the shade, enjoying the daily sea breezes.
My feelings exactly. I LOVE the Florida weather. I wish it was hotter in Wisconsin, but here, when it hits 75 degrees, you see women in bikinis laying on a dock on Lake Michigan!

Old 08-05-2013, 06:58 PM

452 posts, read 709,694 times
I love the Florida weather too. It's cooler up here (central florida) than where I lived for years (Dade).

The humidity can be bad, even for someone that's lived in it all their lives. On the other hand, it IS a sub tropical/tropical climate.

Everything is so green and lush, the water table is coming up a bit, the mosquitoes are horrendous though.

Every afternoon, when the thunderstorms start rolling in, the breezes pick up (I collect Woodstock windchimes) and I just sit outside and listen to the wind in the oaks, watching the spanish moss sway on the old branches.

I've got watermelon and pumpkins going, putting in another crop of crowder peas and one more round of tomatoes and in 3 months, carrots, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower and onions...two months after that, start tomato and pepper seeds...we sure have an advantage in gardening!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida