Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2013, 08:34 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,082,226 times

Advertisements

I am pleased to see that others see the light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I agree, I don't like living in Florida, but I also hate these self important yuppies that push their snobby liberal agendas on everyone. I admit Florida has it's problems but the solution isn't snooty yankees turning it into Long Island Part 2.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:05 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,505,719 times
Quote:
I agree, I don't like living in Florida, but I also hate these self important yuppies that push their snobby liberal agendas on everyone. I admit Florida has it's problems but the solution isn't snooty yankees turning it into Long Island Part 2.
Well there are many areas of Florida that don't qualify as educated or wordly.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:08 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,013,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I am pleased to see that others see the light.
You ought to IM him and maybe you all could get together for some civil war reenactments. I'm happy to be away from all that yankee-cracker angst of the southeast. Talk about being stuck in the 18th century.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:59 AM

663 posts, read 1,142,092 times
Quote:
I was born and raised in Philly. When I got here, I didn't understand why everyone hated Yankees so much. After 25 years here, I totally get it. Now I'm telling Yankees to go home. Lol

Yuppies are absolutely the lowest human life form. I have worked in the worst ghettos of Tampa, though our ghettos aren't horrible. I lived in "Yuppie Douche" central, SOHO. Generally speaking, people in the ghettos are far better people than Yuppies. It s a shame too. SOHO is a great area, the type of people that reside there ruin it!

Old 09-14-2013, 07:48 AM

Curious what the definition of a yuppy is for those using it?

A young college-educated adult who is employed in a well-paying profession and who lives and works in or near a large city.

Cornell University economist Robert H. Frank, author of Luxury Fever, has remarked, "When people were denouncing yuppies, they had considerably lower incomes than yuppies, so the things yuppies spent their money on seemed frivolous and unnecessary from their vantage point

Old 09-14-2013, 09:05 AM

663 posts, read 1,142,092 times
Maybe SOHO yuppies are different than yuppies else where.
The SOHO yuppies, were the frat boys making $40k a year, renting an apt, leasing a BMW, wearing $100 shirts and had a net worth of negative $10,000, due to credit card debt.
The yuppie women were the tramps that also had nothing, but would try to hook up with one of the pretenders every Thursday, Friday and Saturady night, hoping that one of them would be a Yuppie that actually did have something. That alone wouldn't make them horrible people, but they are rude, arrogant snobs. I have never held so many doors open without "Thank you's",as when I lived in SOHO. Very few of my neighbors would make eye contact or ever say hello. I lived in that neighborhood for 16 years and knew 2 of my neighbors. I used to say hello to everyone. I would rarely get a response. My wife kept asking me" why do you even bother?". After about 2 years living there in our second house, I took her advise and gave up.
I owned pretty much the largest and one of the newest homes in SOHO, so your jealousy theory is not the case. At least not with me.

I will say Hyde Park is a different story. Hyde Park people are still Yuppies and very concerned about keeping up with the Jones. I have actually had a few them tell me how concerned they were with keeping up with their neighbors.
But the Yuppies in Hyde Park tend to Actually have money, and though still not the kind of down to earth types that I like to hang out with, they were much better than the SOHO yuppies.
What's funny, is now that I live at the beach, I literally hang out with numerous multi millionaires and they are the most down to earth, generous, kind people you could ever hope to meet.

Last edited by tonyff67; 09-14-2013 at 09:14 AM..

Old 09-14-2013, 09:12 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,710,873 times
Moving to a new place and enjoying some of it's benefits while at the same time trying to recreate the society of the old place has been going on in The United States since before it's founding. One should be used to it. I moved down here from Chicago to enjoy certain aspects of Florida and I intend to work at changing those aspects I dislike. That's the way things work in The United States, if you don't like it too bad.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:02 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,692,428 times
I hate it when liberals use the word "progressive", like what does that mean? Progress of what? So if someone happens to share a difference of opinion that makes them "unprogressive"?

Anyway I hope Florida stays the same as it is. These social values make it better to live and raise kids in, people know right from wrong. Bash the social conservatives all you want, but all one has to do to see the disaster that the so called " progressives " have had on our culture is to simply look around. Take the recent Miley Cyrus incident as a prime example, that is the result of these liberal "progressives", and it's only going to get worse. The social conservatives are trying to keep our culture food, trying to make the world a better place. Can't just have this "do whatever you want "attitude that the "progressives " preach.

Furthermore you are living in the South. Not New York, not San Francisco, but the South. What were you expecting? We have a different way of life here, different values than you, and there's nothing wrong with it. Again I thought you "progressives " were supposed to be open minded and tolerant of other's beliefs? I've been out to California before which is the extreme opposite of my views, but did I care? No. As much as I disagreed with their politics, I still got along just fine with everyone there. I never told them that they were wrong or bad people for having different views than that of me. I never tried to push my views onto others or expect them to conform to mine, I practice tolerance, something that the OP and his "progressive" buddies are clearly lacking.

If it's going to bother you that much than just leave and go back up to Yankee Land, because we're not going to be what you want us to be.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:18 AM

1,015 posts, read 1,650,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
I hate it when liberals use the word "progressive", like what does that mean? Progress of what? So if someone happens to share a difference of opinion that makes them "unprogressive"?

Anyway I hope Florida stays the same as it is. These social values make it better to live and raise kids in, people know right from wrong. Bash the social conservatives all you want, but all one has to do to see the disaster that the so called " progressives " have had on our culture is to simply look around. Take the recent Miley Cyrus incident as a prime example, that is the result of these liberal "progressives", and it's only going to get worse. The social conservatives are trying to keep our culture food, trying to make the world a better place. Can't just have this "do whatever you want "attitude that the "progressives " preach.

Furthermore you are living in the South. Not New York, not San Francisco, but the South. What were you expecting? We have a different way of life here, different values than you, and there's nothing wrong with it. Again I thought you "progressives " were supposed to be open minded and tolerant of other's beliefs? I've been out to California before which is the extreme opposite of my views, but did I care? No. As much as I disagreed with their politics, I still got along just fine with everyone there. I never told them that they were wrong or bad people for having different views than that of me. I never tried to push my views onto others or expect them to conform to mine, I practice tolerance, something that the OP and his "progressive" buddies are clearly lacking.

If it's going to bother you that much than just leave and go back up to Yankee Land, because we're not going to be what you want us to be.
I hate it when people call us Yankees, even though you lost the war!

Old 09-14-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post

This is one of the most ridiculous use of talking points I've ever seen. Good luck to you with the state going democratic the last two elections. The growing counties are democratic aside from Jax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida