Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2013, 05:59 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,933,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Well - we go over this stuff again and again and again in the Retirement Forum. It's not a one-size fits all thing - no matter how old you are - what you do - what your family status is - what you care to do in terms of recreational activities - etc.

IMO - it is very person/family specific. Not only in terms of personal/family needs - but in terms of likes/dislikes.

Still - I think for younger people - the goal is to get the best employment possible in a place that is reasonably affordable in terms of the income one can earn. In a place that's ok for you. I've met younger people here in the JAX metro area who moved here from the San Francisco bay area. They aren't tech titans or similar . Just normal people (middle or lower middle income). And they said they didn't want to live in a place where - no matter how frugal they were - or how much they saved - they'd never be able to afford to buy a house.

Also - people with kids (I don't have any) think about things like schools for their kids. San Francisco is very "progressive". No matter where you live - you're in a school lottery. So - if you have a $1 million condo - your kid's school lottery ticket might buy him/her entrance into a school in a slum (or maybe the best school in the city - or maybe something in between). Obviously - if you're rich - you bypass the lottery and send your kids to private school.

Then again - if your primary sports passion is skiing - and it is a passion - as opposed to a once a year casual thing - Florida might not be your best place to live (all other things being equal). Mt. Dora is not known for its skiing . Robyn
HDI is "Human Development Index" rating the quality of life for a given area. Higher HDI = Better quality of life. That's not to say, someone isn't willing to give up that higher quality for a bigger home or different weather. However, one can't argue that hire taxed states have a better quality of life in general. I lived in Rhode Island and had a better quality of life, but Im willing to trade that for a warmer climate. I don't care about material wealth, so I wouldn't trade it for a bigger home. Doesn't change the HDI ranking based on the sacrifices Im willing to make.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:40 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,473,756 times
HDI apparently only measures life expectancy - education and income. But income explains most of the rankings (there are some wonky statistical articles about this). Still - income doesn't correlate with life styles for many average (or even below average) income people. Because how much you take home - and what it costs you to live - can matter as much (or sometimes more) than what you earn. Robyn

Old 07-26-2013, 03:59 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,933,391 times
Quote:
HDI apparently only measures life expectancy - education and income. But income explains most of the rankings (there are some wonky statistical articles about this). Still - income doesn't correlate with life styles for many average (or even below average) income people. Because how much you take home - and what it costs you to live - can matter as much (or sometimes more) than what you earn. Robyn
Agreed. HDI measures the whole population of a given area. Certain individuals or subcultures within the greater population may have unique needs better met elsewhere (even of that elsewhere has a lower HDI). In the Unite States, a lower middle-class family can struggle to keep up in a high HDI area as to live within thier means they may have to commute further for work or live in older, smaller housing, etc. A person making $40k per year in Boston, who expects to never make more than incremental cost of living increases in his or her salary, would do better to move to Florida (provided they can find a job making the same income here). That person would have a nicer home and probably a shorter commute. They most likely would not notice the poorer infrastructure, lower performing schools, and lesser cultural opportunities/endeavors in thier new home.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:51 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,114,991 times
Do you need a painter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Isnt Frank Rizzo a made up name from The Jerky Boys.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:52 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,881,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
.... When will Florida become like other educated, cultured, sophisticated states like New York, Massachusetts, California, Washington state, Maryland, etc etc.

FL needs to drop the whole "south" and "trailer park" vibe it's got going and adopt a more wordly, sophisticated one.

amirite? or amirite?
That is my reoccurring message. Florida is not Chicago, New York. If you think that we are uneducated hicks and its so terrible here . Move back where you came from. One less Yankee here in Florida.

Liberals are good at spending other peoples money for the "Sake of Humanity", in reality you make states go broke with your useless spending. Besides a lot of you Liberals bailed on Florida during the housing crisis.
it is correct , sadly we got much more of a Bluer State. But we have seen the results. Middle and lower class struggle with a comp. wage that matches the rest of the country. For all of your programs we have fallen short.
Plus side is Gov. Scott is bring companies every day in to Florida, that we would not hand with a Dem. Gov. Scott has consolidated Gov and we have money in the State Treasury. More than you say to CA., New York and many other liberal dominated states. He forces outside investors on projects (High Speed Rail) to have skin in the game, so taxpayers are not on the hook fully.
There must something that keeps you in this state, like no state income tax and your home is protected by law.Hmmmmmm
Thank God we still have the right to Bear guns and protect ourselves from crime. Remember 8minutesto respond!

Old 07-29-2013, 10:53 AM

3 posts, read 4,022 times
The social progressives and their over taxation and spend spend spend attitude whilst not really having a grasp on reality are what is driving us to move from CA to FL. Liberalism is the sign of sick and out of touch mind.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:23 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,339,421 times
What are you talking about?

California is light years more advanced and well educated as Florida. There are a TON of people who would love to live there but there's so much competition that you really need to be talented in your field.

Friend of mine from Silicon Valley says "we get everybody's best and brightest and send the mediocre to Texas to do the grunt work."

Old 07-29-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
What are you talking about?

California is light years more advanced and well educated as Florida. There are a TON of people who would love to live there but there's so much competition that you really need to be talented in your field.

Friend of mine from Silicon Valley says "we get everybody's best and brightest and send the mediocre to Texas to do the grunt work."
Then why are there tons of bums living on the streets of places like San Francisco (defecating there as well)?

And although I guess there are people with tons of money who still have $10+ million a year left after paying California taxes and are ok with it - others aren't very happy:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/07/us...axes.html?_r=0

FWIW - I know one area where Florida has California beat. The area where my husband and I worked. Personal injury law. The PI lawyers in California are wimps compared to the lawyers in Florida. Robyn

Old 07-29-2013, 04:50 PM

711 posts, read 1,855,417 times
Quote:
FWIW - I know one area where Florida has California beat. The area where my husband and I worked. Personal injury law. The PI lawyers in California are wimps compared to the lawyers in Florida.
Judicial Hellholes: South Florida

Old 07-29-2013, 06:04 PM

But it's a great place for a lawyer to make a living . Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida