Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 08:14 AM

69 posts, read 139,070 times

Advertisements

I feel the need to rant briefly… (Flame suit on)

It seems the Florida negativity is astounding at times, and I just don’t know why. I understand that everyone sees a particular geography through their own set of lenses, however, I see almost on a daily basis people discouraging individuals from seeking out a life in Florida. I happen to be an individual who has lived in Massachusetts (Cape Cod), Florida Twice (Sanford, Deltona), and Missouri (Jefferson City). I therefore have some experience with living in the NE, SE, and Midwest.
A few thoughts, The North can be beautiful during spring, summer, and fall. It can also be brutal during the winter. Missouri has beautiful open countryside and is hot as hell during the summer (humidity through the roof), and winter could be mild or an icy “sleety” mess. I have always felt Florida summer was more comfortable than the Muggy Midwest so I laugh to myself when people act like Florida is too hot as though you can hide from heat all together elsewhere.
Depending where you live of course in any given state there are “good” and “bad” areas as far as crime is concerned. I have seen some pretty nasty crime stats come out of St Louis Missouri. Point being it doesn’t matter if you are Joe the Plumber or Tiger Woods, you could have an issue with a criminal element and a certain amount of “street smarts” bodes well for you no matter where you live.
I will end by saying I see a great number of people with quality neutral advise also, but sometimes there seems to be a cloak of negativity that overcomes so many Florida threads. I say lets not pretend FL doesn’t have any downfalls, but lets also keep it real. Florida has some of the most beautiful coastal areas to live in the country and we shouldn’t scare people off with generalizations if we can help it…

Thoughts?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 08:26 AM

641 posts, read 1,018,055 times
hmmm, not sure if this is a troll thread but ill bite. Its not that people are negative, they are just telling "their" side of the story, and sometimes the story isnt all lollypops and gummy bears. Just because YOU have had the time of your life living in Sanford, Florida (LOL, yea it seems funny to me too) doesnt mean the next person did. Everyone experiences life differently and some people dwell on the negative. Some see everything with rose colored glasses as well, doesnt mean there is anything wrong with them, just how it is. Its great to live in a country where (for the most part) everyone can have an opinion and not get killed for it. C-D has a plethora of people just sharing their experiences, some good, some bad is all. For 50 negative threads I can find the same positive.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
For 50 negative threads I can find the same positive.

I suppose this is true, it just seems that way lately.. possibly due in part to recent case. I agree its ALL opinion based when it comes to comments. Otherwise you are just staring at numbers which sometimes dont tell the whole story also.

Dont get me wrong... I didnt say I had the "time of my life in Sanford", far from it. But I would also not steer anyone away from researching or making an attempt at a move to the state. (I would of course encourage heavy research and a visit before commiting to any community whatsoever. This is part of my point... as you sarcastically eluded to ;-) , I am a guy who lived in Sanford FL. (Not exactly a pricey or ritzy area of FL) and I still would not steer anyone away. You should keep in mind Im also not a person who has only lived in substandard areas and has a sugar coated opinion because of that. Keep in mind I used to live on Cape Cod, MA. A rather safe, scenic, and relatively premium area IMO that a LOT of people would love to call home and I still hold no ill opinion on FL.

I appreciate your input, and I dont disagree with much of what youve said. I just feel its a worthwhile conversation, and judging by your previous posts such as "Still a dump" in the //www.city-data.com/forum/flori...prove-how.html , its of no surprise where you stand with my thread...

Have you stated what part of FL you live? I didnt notice...

Last edited by JohnMac1981; 07-24-2013 at 08:59 AM..

Old 07-24-2013, 09:08 AM

613 posts, read 940,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
Just because YOU have had the time of your life living in Sanford, Florida (LOL, yea it seems funny to me too) doesnt mean the next person did.
I've lived in FL a few times, Tampa Bay area, spent lots of time in Broward, & worked all over the state. I eventually grew sick of it, for lots of reasons, but mainly the kind of general "mentality", lack of culture, etc. But I know lots of people love it there.

But Sanford, Florida I think has become a symbol now for the whole state to many in the USA. As did watching 6-7-8-9-hour voting lines in 2012 after the Rep. Gov. cut back voting days (& mysteriously seemed to affect mainly "certain" groups of people). The Casey Anthony trial. "Hanging chads", & again strange voting procedures or outcomes in 2000.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't want to live in a state where some vigilante type can chase me down with a gun, shoot me, claim "stand your ground", & get off scot-free.....altho I guess I could start "packing heat" myself.......

Last edited by WoodyWW; 07-24-2013 at 09:23 AM..

Old 07-24-2013, 09:21 AM

Thinking I never should have mentioned Sanford FL..lol

Really I'd rather just not be chased down and shot period, and unfortunately FL doesnt have the market cornered on that type of activity. Its also exhausting to see the constant racial angle brought into play regarding what has transpired, although again not just a Florida thing or racially one sided thing. Think OJ Simpson...

Old 07-24-2013, 09:53 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,154,689 times
Pick any state on the forum and you'll find negative comments about that particular state.,its not just a Florida thing..

Old 07-24-2013, 11:34 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,327,369 times
No its not just a Florida thing ..I have lived in alot of different states NYC, born and raised Littleton Colorado, New Jersey, Charlotte NC, Boca Raton Florida and back to Charlotte and will be heading back to South Florida in a year or 2..with that being said, There are negatives in all these places that I grew up and lived in and had all kinds of different Experiences..Brooklyn being my home I wouldnt change my upbringing for the World...Colorado beautiful country just not a place I would want to live again...New Jersey beautiful being near the water and the landscape and my family lives there, Great Place in my opinion if one could afford to live there but that is one forum too that there are tons of negatives...Charlotte well I will keep my comments to myself since I don't want to post negativity but our 1st experience was pretty awful..Our 2nd time here in Charlotte well it is a temporary move and will be returning to South Florida..Moved to Boca and well that was home for us and the happiest place we have lived, unfortunately we had to leave Boca last summer and come back to Charlotte for a career opportunity for my husband, but for us he will be able to work remotely so we will be returning..Not every place is for everyone..People require different things, We love what Florida has to offer, than opposed to any other place we have lived..Although we do not like certain things about Florida too, and sometimes the truth hurts and not everyone will agree but that does not mean that someone else won't be happy...Believe it or not I know its hard to believe but there are a lot of people who really do love South Florida or other parts of Florida and who would never think of leaving...The problem is that if someone says the "bad things about a place people mistake it for being negative, if one is positive or gives their experience then there is something wrong with them...One could give both positive and negatives and but to tell people not to move there well, that is just wrong...There are a lot things that are posted that are offensive and mind you there are educated people in Florida as well as South Florida despite what people keep saying....I think everyone just needs to find where and what makes them happy and learn how to stop being negative all the time...

Old 07-24-2013, 11:45 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,844,930 times
People are negative about Florida because it's not what they want it to be in their imagination. They also lack a grasp and interest in it's history and development. I don't think they even learned history in school or paid attention that there were first 13 colonies and Florida was NOT one of them LOL.

It was always adventurous developing and coming to Florida, not like the Northern states that had fully functioning states and cities way before Florida. Harvard was established in 1636 - when Florida was still SPAIN FFS.

The state started out as an agricultural state and admitted as a slave state so people are surprised that it lagged behind almost every other state in education for, like a century??

A Brief History of Florida - Education - Florida Facts - Florida Division of Historical Resources

History of St Augustine, known as the oldest, continually occupied, European settlement in the United States:
http://www.drbronsontours.com/bronsonhistorypage.html

2005 newspaper assessment of education in Florida, of course the media and politicians' ~solution is, as always to grab other people's money. Just like when the Obama stimulus came around to Jacksonville, the newspapers were celebrating extending free meals for kids to something like year round and dinners or something and giving teachers their "raises" then when it ran out crying poor mouth.

State: Schools still rank near the bottom
Quote:
But the state does face unique obstacles: Enrollment continues to surge. Half of its students are minorities, who often struggle academically. And more than 8 percent are in limited-English programs - almost double the rate of any other Southern state.

Then again, Florida is second in the South in per capita income, which means money is there if politicians are willing to tap it.

Regardless, everyone loves calling North Florida a bunch of racists and hillbillies but the top 10 school systems in the state are THERE. So, whatever. Keep complaining about not legalizing pot, needing free birth control, and other lame brain issues. Oh, and the 2nd Amendment. Read a history or civics book, people. Oh wait, they're all filtered out too, now to the ~Progressive Way.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 08-07-2013 at 06:36 AM..

Old 07-24-2013, 11:58 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,645,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Pick any state on the forum and you'll find negative comments about that particular state.,its not just a Florida thing..

This.

Everyone has their place. Glad the OP loves Florida enough to create the 23,0056,00,0005,66 version of this subject

Malls and Spring Break for culture, insane traffic, generic prison architecture, pill mills and pawn shops on every corner dont make for a stimulating environment for some people.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:31 PM

17,504 posts, read 38,984,566 times
Where is that yawning emoticon......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida