Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Florida: traffic, education, moving to New York, homeschooling, make extra money.

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 01:45 PM

944 posts, read 3,847,814 times

Advertisements

It's that time: my wife and I are looking to start a family. I'm not thrilled to start one here in Pinellas County. Should we make a go of it, or is middle-class, family-friendly Florida gone forever?

Our only real option would be moving back to upstate New York. I'm over "new places." I want to be near family and friends which is either Pinellas County or Monroe County, NY.

All opinions welcome.

(Flaming, Florida-hating, New York-hating, COL-hating, snowbird-hating, traffic-hating, illegal-hating, crime-hating, snow-hating, rust-belt-hating, boomer-hating, hipster-hating, bad-health-care-hating, Kodak hating are welcome as well )

Old 11-10-2007, 01:53 PM

672 posts, read 905,468 times
You children WILL receive a better education in NY. Hands down. I worked in the NY school system (LI) and I work now work in the Florida (Collier) school system. I can see the difference first hand. Florida Education officials are meeting with New York Education officials about implementing a NYS type Regents program. Doesn't that speak volumes?

I will say nothing else. This is as impartial as I can get.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post
You children WILL receive a better education in NY. Hands down. I worked in the NY school system (LI) and I work now work in the Florida (Collier) school system. I can see the difference first hand. Florida Education officials are meeting with New York Education officials about implementing a NYS type Regents program. Doesn't that speak volumes?

I will say nothing else. This is as impartial as I can get.
Thank you for the honesty. Be as partial as you please.

Old 11-10-2007, 02:25 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,031,998 times
If you let people on the internet decide your family issues, you are in for some tough times.

Old 11-10-2007, 02:42 PM

504 posts, read 1,764,297 times
While you are childless give a thought of living your dream, move where you want to live, get all the education you will need and you will find jobs that will be what you love and your children will benefit by having happy parents living the life they were meant to live.
The Florida school system is one of the worse, research it, even the best schools in Florida are mediocre compared to many states.

Old 11-10-2007, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander59 View Post
even the best schools in Florida are mediocre compared to many states.
What's interesting, however, is that I've met some well-balanced Floridians that - compared to my friends back home (who are lazy, jobless idiots (despite being nice)) - are doing quite well in the "real world."

I have noticed that reading and writing seem to be a problem here.

Old 11-10-2007, 05:14 PM

458 posts, read 598,771 times
We are falling into the classic trap. Using school 'rankings' as a predictor of our children's education.

There are doctors who went to school in the ghettos. There are unemployed sponges who went to elite academies. The X factor is the parents and how they raise and direct their kids.

Also, many kids who go to the 'best' schools have no common sense or creative ability. Some of the brightest kids were home schooled or learned outside the box.

You could raise amazing and happy kids in Pinellas County or NY. If they stayed in FL, you could get them into tennis, golf, and other outdoor activities. You could also raise very happy kids in NY.

But don't chase a school system, kids can make good or bad friends in any school system. If you are miserable in the cold and spend your days wishing for Florida, that does your kids no good.

We have friends that could choose the NE or Florida. They readily admit the Florida school is not as highly rated as the one they could be near up north. They decided to supplement their child's education down here to make up for the difference. The extra time they spend, to them, is an easy trade off for staying in Florida. So there is no hard and fast rule for education, school ratings, and quality of a child's life.

We also know people who work extra hours down here to make extra money. To them, they love the activities Florida has to offer and hate the cold. So it is worth it to work a little harder for those benefits instead of moving up north. You can make it work no matter where you are.

However if you feel you can make a better living in NY and would be happier overall, so be it.

Old 11-10-2007, 05:16 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
It's that time: my wife and I are looking to start a family. I'm not thrilled to start one here in Pinellas County. Should we make a go of it, or is middle-class, family-friendly Florida gone forever?

Our only real option would be moving back to upstate New York. I'm over "new places." I want to be near family and friends which is either Pinellas County or Monroe County, NY.

All opinions welcome.

(Flaming, Florida-hating, New York-hating, COL-hating, snowbird-hating, traffic-hating, illegal-hating, crime-hating, snow-hating, rust-belt-hating, boomer-hating, hipster-hating, bad-health-care-hating, Kodak hating are welcome as well )
kids absorb whatever you see around you that is what they will be in 15 years.
pick wisely.

Old 11-10-2007, 05:24 PM

458 posts, read 598,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
kids absorb whatever you see around you that is what they will be in 15 years.
pick wisely.
As a father of 3, this quote is not very accurate. Research has shown the parents and immediate family are the key. The very close friends have to be known by the parents.

An area will not cause kids to be good or bad. It all comes down to the household, no matter what the location.

I know amazing kids who are living in Philadelphia, gunshots in the neighborhood every night. One is headed to Duke on a scholarship, he wants to be a doctor. He did not, in any way, become what was around him. I know jerky kids who were raised in the heart of the bible belt.

Its the parents, plain and simple.

Old 11-10-2007, 05:51 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,511,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy View Post

All opinions welcome.

All our family is in the midwest & NE. None of them have any desire or intention to move to FL. It took a few years & missing bdays, holidays, & just overall get togethers to understand just how important their proximity was to us & our son.

Schools, weather, crime, COL...it's all relative to the person & their needs/likes/dislikes.

Parents raise their children. But there are better areas than others to raise a family. So, a child who grew up in the ghetto became a doctor..what? We should all move to the ghetto & let them hear gunshots? At the same time, some of the most affluent kids become drugs addicts & kill their parents in the middle of the night.

There is absolutely NO ONE on here who has the perfect answer on being the perfect family & raising children in the perfect place. It does not exist. Perfect parents do not exist. It is a learning process that has many highs & lows.

You are lucky, you are family in both areas. What area are your wife & you happiest? What area do YOU feel is the best to raise a family? What family members are the ones you are closest to & could help out if needed or vice versa.

It all comes down to how you decide to parent & that you make logical & reasonable decisions based on your own personal circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida