Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 03:54 PM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
I am a long time florida resident (have lived here fifteen years), and while there are what people would consider "pros" of living in the area, it is definitely not desirable overall, especially for someone trying to develop a career. The main pitfalls of Florida in my eyes are as follows:
One of the most frustrating elements that I have observed growing up in charlotte county (2 hrs south of Tampa, near englewood/venice) is the absolute lack of innovation and desire to progress in certain areas. I understand that Florida has a lot of appeal for retirees but that should not equate to a complete and utter cultural wasteland. I am going to school in the northwest, and one of the first things I noticed was the extensive care for the environment, focus on local over corporate, flexibility on social issues, and a general stimulating and creative atmosphere. Here I notice borderline oblivion when it comes to awareness of current affairs, current advancements in science and technology, etc. In my senior class in HS, kids had a hard time pointing out basic continents on a map. Give me a break.
The lack of cultural awareness in my area brings about other issues like a poor educational system, incompetence in local government, and so on. I am speaking primarily about southwest Florida, since I was raised there, but the basic concept that I'm illustrating certainly affects other areas to a varying extent.
One would normally think that there would be a flourishing job market in one city in any given state. While this is a nice fantasy, those that think this way have never been to Florida. Truthfully, the blatant lack of industry in the "major" cities in Florida is pretty appalling. Most of the revenue is generated by tourism and i barely ever hear of any success stories from young entrepreneurs in the area. Those with drive and a vision go up to the northeast to become immersed in a much more vibrant job market. To put it simply, there is no reason to come to Florida if you are interested in advancing your career.

//www.city-data.com/forum/flori...ida-march.html

I always told people that one of the reasons I'm moving to seattle is because "the lack of sun keeps the riff raff out." I have noticed a fairly consistent pattern that areas with year round warm climates seem to attract people with minimal inhibitions who just move there for hedonistic reasons. I suppose it's much more pleasant to work a menial job (or not work for that matter), and have the beach at your fingertips for leisure. This causes people to alter their values for self fulfillment and recreation rather than contributing to society.

The level of ostentation and decadence disturbs me because it leads me to believe that people around here have poor ethics. I don't mean to come off as a moralist here but seeing people parade around in yachts around miami/palm beach and virtually any wealthy area in South Florida makes me think of all the more productive things they could be doing. Expensive chains line the streets of well off communities and are supported thoroughly by the populace. There is nothing wrong with living comfortably but the superficiality I have witnessed here is to excess. In my age group specifically, girls strive to attain the most picturesque bikini bod while the males attempt to out alpha one another. Not a healthy dynamic, IMO.

Overall, there are a lack of vibrant, eclectic neighborhoods for people to enjoy. There are way too many strip malls, fast food chains, and divey tourist shops which does not make for very diverse neighborhoods and feels rather stale. A simple trip to Orlando or Jacksonville would leave any sane person appalled by the amounts of McDonalds per capita, as well as the tract homes that seem to engulf the streets. I can't shake the eerie feeling of 90% of major developments in Florida being master planned by marketing executives with the intention of incorporating a tasteless, sterile "u(dys)topia."

In no way do I mean to attack people who choose to live here. I know there are decent folks sprinkled around here and there, I have just not had a particularly pleasant experience living here as an adolescent. I went to several different high schools which yielded unsatisfactory results. This may partly be due to inner conflict on my part but I still hold the theory that this is not a healthy environment for kids to grow up in. There just isn't enough going on.

I believe that people are lured here primarily because of nice aesthetics, a slower pace of life and a desire to live with minimal stressors. I suppose I am just not wired this way which is why I am moving to the city for college. To each there own, but if considering a move here, take note of the undesirable aspects I mentioned.
And surely you've visited all of the cities and regions of Florida, and met a statistically significant number of people in each part of Florida to make that sweeping generalization about life in Florida as a whole? And looked up to see the efforts of locals in each area to keep their area beautiful and pristine, or looked in the bigger cities in Florida to see what's actually available in the way of employment in science and technology before you dismissed Florida as a wasteland in all those areas, and its citizens derelict wastes of time?

You may or may not realize that your reflections on life as an adolescent doesn't necessarily ( let's say hopefully in many cases, including yours) reflect how you will view the world, and mankind when you've grown older and wiser with with more experience under your belt. You may or may not realize that there are hedonists and riff-raff anywhere you choose to go, they may not be sunning themselves on beaches, or standing in line at Disney World, but they're there just the same. Just as there are decent people anywhere you go as well. And you may even grow and mature enough to learn to look at things as they are and judge them less harshly when you've experienced more of the seamy side of life elsewhere.

Your words remind me of the high school kid who wants to go to college "far away" because that means getting away from home and the familiar, without considering that anywhere one goes there are still personal and public issues one must face, and that life isn't perfect anywhere.

I hope you will find whatever it is you are looking for in Oregon, but I doubt seriously you will find the panacea that you're looking for, as it doesn't exist.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Similar dynamic in my neck of the woods except its rednecks boasting about other worthless titles, such as how efficient their four wheelers are at plowing through the mud, etc.
Really depends on the circles you travel in. It's not all about "rednecks" in this area.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
I must say I really enjoyed reading your point of view for a number of Reasons...Let me start off by saying you write beautifully..From someone your age It's interesting on your view, We have been on the fence to move back to South Florida as our daughter isn't interested in moving back, Our son is 18 and is a freshman in College here in NC but is deciding if he wants to go back to South Florida, I have to say our concerns and his concern is pretty much what you have written here as he would like to find a place to plant roots and finish out school...He is doing community college for 2 years and is thinking about FAU and a school here in NC..Our concern is the kids career's and wanting to plant roots there...

Good luck to you in College and where ever it is you land

I do have to say a lot of people say how much better for salaries etc however the Cost of living isn't so cheap and if one works in NYC and Lives in NJ lets say the Property Taxes are Insane....Being from NYC and haved lived in NJ the cost of living is very high and in today's economy I can tell you Salaries aren't so great either as the job market is extremely difficult...For some reason we really love Florida but at the same time knowing what we know we aren't sure...
What is it you know? Or assume you know?

Old 07-30-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
"I suppose it's much more pleasant to work a menial job (or not work for that matter), and have the beach at your fingertips for leisure. This causes people to alter their values for self fulfillment and recreation rather than contributing to society."

Does this statement ring a bell?
Except that it certainly doesn't apply to everyone living in Florida- perhaps those who travel in your circles, but not mine.

We've lived and worked in Florida for more than 35 years, and our jobs have never been of the menial minimum wage variety. Education and experience makes the difference.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowSoFlorida View Post
As much as you think it sucks, I love it here and would not want to live anywhere else. Even if I were to hit the lottery I would stay here.

I'd agree with you, and I grew up, went to school and worked for a few years in the northeast.

I'm happy with Florida, and hope that the folks who feel obliged to look down on Florida ( prerequisite to maintain their own self-esteem, perhaps?) won't grace us with their presence in this state.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:12 PM

895 posts, read 1,703,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles20 View Post
God no, UF is much better. Also Tallahassee, and St. Pete are kind of dull.
UF is great, if you like driving the four wheeler through the mud or if you are an avid fraternity/sorority advocate, otherwise a more middle of the road atmosphere like Talahassee is more desirable.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Illegitimi non carborundum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Go for it. You're young, Seattle is beautiful, educated and a world away from Florida. It's really easy to put off and end up staying because of family/career obligations and then wondering - "where did my life go?"
I should get a tatoo of that phrase. I am headed to seattle u in less than two months and am never looking back.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
And surely you've visited all of the cities and regions of Florida, and met a statistically significant number of people in each part of Florida to make that sweeping generalization about life in Florida as a whole? And looked up to see the efforts of locals in each area to keep their area beautiful and pristine, or looked in the bigger cities in Florida to see what's actually available in the way of employment in science and technology before you dismissed Florida as a wasteland in all those areas, and its citizens derelict wastes of time?

You may or may not realize that your reflections on life as an adolescent doesn't necessarily ( let's say hopefully in many cases, including yours) reflect how you will view the world, and mankind when you've grown older and wiser with with more experience under your belt. You may or may not realize that there are hedonists and riff-raff anywhere you choose to go, they may not be sunning themselves on beaches, or standing in line at Disney World, but they're there just the same. Just as there are decent people anywhere you go as well. And you may even grow and mature enough to learn to look at things as they are and judge them less harshly when you've experienced more of the seamy side of life elsewhere.

Your words remind me of the high school kid who wants to go to college "far away" because that means getting away from home and the familiar, without considering that anywhere one goes there are still personal and public issues one must face, and that life isn't perfect anywhere.

I hope you will find whatever it is you are looking for in Oregon, but I doubt seriously you will find the panacea that you're looking for, as it doesn't exist.
Fair post, I can appreciate where you are coming from but I am speaking from personal experience and have been forced to associate with a different ring if people than you. I assume that you are older and have a tight nit group of like minded people that you associate with. However, you cannot deny that charlotte county has its issues. I don't know if you've had experience raising kids or have any friends raising kids, but the public schools here are deplorable. I ended up going to school over an hour away from home for a couple years in an effort to find somewhere with redeeming qualities. The local high school in your area, charlotte, was given a c rating the last I checked. On top of that, there are virtually no private school options unless you're willing to make a hefty drive.
I respect that you seem civilly minded but you are isolated from younger culture around here which is why you might have not related to my point of view. My harsh judgement is not completely unjustified, and you are playing devils advocate too much by implying that that's the case.

PS: I am moving to Washington State, not Oregon.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:47 PM

745 posts, read 1,582,908 times
I think you'll end up in Portland. It's smaller town atmosphere, and Seattle might be too overwhelming for you. I do suggest you check it out. You won't get that big city "Chicago, Atlanta, New York" type of mentality, and it will ultimately be cheaper. Coming from a small town, i'm not so sure you should "think BIG!"

Portland has everything that Seattle and San Francisco has, but less of the big-city stuff. Unless you want that, of course.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo384 View Post
I think you'll end up in Portland. It's smaller town atmosphere, and Seattle might be too overwhelming for you. I do suggest you check it out. You won't get that big city "Chicago, Atlanta, New York" type of mentality, and it will ultimately be cheaper. Coming from a small town, i'm not so sure you should "think BIG!"

Portland has everything that Seattle and San Francisco has, but less of the big-city stuff. Unless you want that, of course.
Im disgusted by Portland, and do enjoy more metropolitan areas. Different metropolitan areas have different feels. I enjoy Chicago and NYC also. I don't know what led you to believe I would be overwhelmed, as I don't believe I've ever stated a preference for lesser activity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida