Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2007, 12:44 PM

2 posts, read 6,196 times

Advertisements

I'm a 30 years old female consultant working in chicago area. Because of family reasons, I and my fiancee are planning to move to florida. Both of us are still young professionals. We are going to find a place for long term living such as at least 7 years.
My company offers me these two cities for relocation. I wonder which city would be a better choice for us. Which city would have more Fortune 500-1000 companys? Which city has faster growth for business?
As a young couple, we would like some place which offers family style life and city life is also reachable, decent paced working/business environment (not as fast paced as in NYC, but also not totally laid back) and diversed culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 02:10 PM

518 posts, read 2,216,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenYears View Post
Which city would have more Fortune 500-1000 companys? Which city has faster growth for business?
Here's a partial list of large corporations that either are based or have large operations in Fort Lauderdale/Broward County and other South Florida counties (thanks to a post by "Fort Lauderdale" for many of the companies listed; his posts will give you a good idea of the pros/cons of living here):

Citrix Systems (based in Fort Lauderdale)
American Express
Microsoft (Latin American headquarters)
Motorola
United Healthcare
Office Depot (based in Delray Beach, soon will move corporate headquarters to Boca Raton, just over the county line in Palm Beach County)
Spirit Airlines (based in Miramar)
AutoNation (based in Fort Lauderdale)
Carnival Corp. (based in Miami)

As far as business growth here, anything in this area related to housing, residential real estate and construction is going through hard times right now. Most other sectors seem to be chugging along.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:11 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,280,842 times
chisofax

great post and he summed it up pretty much. I will add too that you don't hear of Fort Lauderdale getting major corporations (new ones) here that often. Motorola generally has engineering jobs and low level assembly line jobs (I had friends who worked there)

Can't say much about Tampa as I don't know much of whats going on there, hopefully somone else can help

Old 11-12-2007, 12:23 PM

2 posts, read 6,196 times
Thanks chisoxfan!! waiting on some voices from Tampa

Old 11-12-2007, 03:02 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,750,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenYears View Post
Thanks chisoxfan!! waiting on some voices from Tampa
Well, for more Lauderdale information, as chisoxfan mentioned search through some of my past posts. I have posted so much, and I'm just chiming in for a minute or else I would post more, busy week!

I have noticed one thing; people who like Lauderdale seem to hate Tampa. And vise versa. I like both. They both have call-centerific economies,but Fort Lauderdale definitely has more "real" commerce, higher incomes and wages and a more solid economic base. Neither is really growing when it comes to commerce. They both have large Hispanic populations (both around 22%), with Lauderdale having a more educated/wealthier hispanic population, they both have lots to do, with Lauderdale generally having more for the young professional/city type of person. Tampa is generally laid back, Fort Lauderdale is very fast paced. You mention family style life with city life also reachable. Both offer it, and Tampa offers it for a bit cheaper.

I think if you were to come here, you should look into the areas of Boca Raton, Plantation, and perhaps Coral Springs or Weston.

Overall, your inquiry sounds more Fort Lauderdale but Tampa is more affordable and definitely worth a look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida