Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 05:43 AM

83 posts, read 346,266 times

Advertisements

Hi there, I just want to pop in and give a nay for the gated communities. We lived in one briefly and hated it. Mind you, we were renting, but I never felt so isolated in my life. The neighbors were not friendly, people did not talk to me when I was pushing my newborn in a stroller, and one time when I went door to door with an emergency because of my baby and my husband had the car nobody would even answer the door with me standing outside with a newborn in my arms. Trust me, I didn't look like trailer trash or have two heads or anything like that either. I didn't have family nearby and my husband worked an hour away so I felt very isolated and unwelcome.

Then of course there are the deed restrictions telling you how high your grass can be, what type of back porch you can build, other structures you can have, etc. If you decide to move to one of these places, be very clear up front about what they will or won't allow you to have in your own backyard (or front yard) I know that recently here in Tampa there was a big stink because a woman had some sort of playground/gym for her kids and the neighbors made her take it down. Some of them won't allow you to have swingsets or anything "child friendly". Now I'm sure plenty of them do but please check into this as a mother before you sign the dotted line.

On a final note, once we moved out of this type of community into an older neighborhood without so much austentatiousness we were quite welcomed, even had neighbors come to our door to introduce themselves. It was very refreshing to say the least and I have no desire to live in that type of community again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2006, 07:09 PM

265 posts, read 904,416 times
I have lived in a gated community for the past 18 years and I have no problems. However, I am on 2 acres and I am responsible for my own maintenance. Of course, if I let my property go, I would get a "nasty gram". My neighborhood is very reasonable and over the years as "unreasonable" people have moved in, they have been handled.

Being in an area of Florida that is growing in leaps and bounds, I have no doubt that being in a deed restricted area has preserved and inflated my home's value. Just pick a neighborhood with rules you can live with. If the deed says "No Trucks" and you absolutely must have a truck - don't buy in that neighborhood - you will not win and the neighbors will resent you - common sence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: