Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 07:29 AM

641 posts, read 1,020,552 times

Advertisements

Knowing that the opportinuty for career and progression can be vastly greater in different areas of the country, why do people locate here? Is it because they gave up on life and took the easy way out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 08:25 AM

2,414 posts, read 2,987,138 times
Took the easy way out? Your post is rather insulting, imo and sad too. Did it not occur to you that having the most lucrative possible career is not everyone's goal? Many people are retired and living on a fixed income. That money goes farther in Florida. What about health issues? Some people can't risk walking in the snow and ice and some suffer from seasonal disorders. What about relationships? Being with family that's already in FL? What about a love of outdoor activities? We moved here to be near my aging parents, to get away from the "snow belt" and to enjoy family activities outdoors year round. Work is a necessity for us and we both do work, but having the most lucrative career is less important to us than quality family time and that is so much better here than anywhere else we might go. We did not give up and take the easy way out. There is nothing easy about selling a home and relocating a family and reestablishing yourself in a new location. Financially, we're about the same as we were before, but our quality of life improved substantially. You've probably heard the saying that when you're dying you'll never regret not having more time to spend at work, but you will regret not having more time with your family. I hope one day you'll realize that.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:27 AM

652 posts, read 1,652,875 times
I came to South Florida because it's beautiful here. You can drive along A1A and see the beach and the palm trees and it's great. Also I love the warm weather, especially in winter. I don't car about career and money. I don't need to keep up with the Joneses. As long as I have enough to make ends meet I'm fine.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:38 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
Knowing that the opportinuty for career and progression can be vastly greater in different areas of the country, why do people locate here? Is it because they gave up on life and took the easy way out?
Going by whats said on these forums and personal experience talking to people living in Florida the main reason people move to Florida is the warm weather and the beaches, taking those two items out of the equation you are left with ....

Old 08-12-2013, 09:05 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
I don't feel anyone should "defend" this state. Ignorance and extremism in this country have become appalling.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:08 AM

2,414 posts, read 2,987,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
I don't feel anyone should "defend" this state. Ignorance and extremism in this country have become appalling.
Do you mean "ignorance and extremism" in this country or in this state? I would probably agree with either one, but it's not a reason to not defend this state.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Going by whats said on these forums and personal experience talking to people living in Florida the main reason people move to Florida is the warm weather and the beaches, taking those two items out of the equation you are left with ....
Eh? Have you actually driven or visited the inland areas of the state? ***MOD CUT***

Last edited by doggiebus; 08-12-2013 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: Attack

Old 08-12-2013, 09:49 AM

440 posts, read 595,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
Took the easy way out? Your post is rather insulting, imo and sad too. Did it not occur to you that having the most lucrative possible career is not everyone's goal? Many people are retired and living on a fixed income. That money goes farther in Florida. What about health issues? Some people can't risk walking in the snow and ice and some suffer from seasonal disorders. What about relationships? Being with family that's already in FL? What about a love of outdoor activities? We moved here to be near my aging parents, to get away from the "snow belt" and to enjoy family activities outdoors year round. Work is a necessity for us and we both do work, but having the most lucrative career is less important to us than quality family time and that is so much better here than anywhere else we might go. We did not give up and take the easy way out. There is nothing easy about selling a home and relocating a family and reestablishing yourself in a new location. Financially, we're about the same as we were before, but our quality of life improved substantially. You've probably heard the saying that when you're dying you'll never regret not having more time to spend at work, but you will regret not having more time with your family. I hope one day you'll realize that.
This. I have a pretty good career up here in OH, but am i going to put my happiness and quality of life on hold because i can make a couple dolllars more an hour than compared to somewhere that the sun shines everyday and i don't have to look at deadness and cloudy, gloomy skies for 7 straight months? The answer is NO, which i think alot of other people moving to Fl would agree with. I mean don't get me wrong, i have the financial means to make this possible right now but i know better than to move down there without a job first. When you suffer from seasonal disorders like i do, it makes it really hard to live somewhere that denies you the climatic paradise you are looking for. Who doesn't like to be surrounded by palm trees, beautiful beaches, and sunny skies anyways? So if you have the opportunity to make it your home instead of just a place to vacation to, then why not? Besides YOLO!!

Old 08-12-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
Do you mean "ignorance and extremism" in this country or in this state? I would probably agree with either one, but it's not a reason to not defend this state.
In this country, really. The OP is pretty offensive in his assumptions and they probably stem from ignorance...

Old 08-12-2013, 10:26 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
Eh? Have you actually driven or visited the inland areas of the state? ***MO D CUT***
I've lived a good part of my life in many areas of Florida, why would you think i'm trolling for merely stating most people come for the weather and the beaches.?

Last edited by doggiebus; 08-12-2013 at 03:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida