Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 01:45 PM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,823,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
Yeah boating is the one of the main reasons why I want to go to the Keys. I was just kind of weary of Key West because of some of the things I heard. For the record gay people do not bother me, it's just I was told that everyday in Key West they had a gay pride parade, and that the men dress up like women and bother straight men. These were the elements I was referring too that I didn't want my niece to be exposed too. Of course there are other things like drug use and alcohol that I heard about aswell, but I was told that only happens in one part of the island and the other parts are fine.

Thank you for answering my questions without being preachy. I really appreciate it.
Most posters have already covered what I would've said so I will comment on above. What about straight men bothering straight (or gay) women? That's a concern everywhere. Men whistling at women, calling out, etc.. This is no different than a gay man doing this.

And again, drugs and alcohol (abuse/overindulgence) is everywhere. Key West is a 2 by 4 mile island so the activity that goes on there is of course easily under a microscope and easily documented whereas in a major city, which has the very same things, those same types of activity fly under the radar every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I admit it has been a while since I have been in Key West. I would be more concerned with straight people. We saw one woman who had flowers painted on her breast which she proudly displayed by walking on the pier. We also saw 2 young women on the beach topless. They were not from the US and in most countries going topless is the norm.

Neither bothered me but since you are considering bringing your niece, you might have some splaining to do to her parents when she ask why she can't take her top off at the beach now.

I agree if you are concerned then it isn't the place for your niece.
Very well said!

And while I am straight, if I had a child old enough to understand, I would rather have my child exposed to a different lifestyle in the presence of myself rather than it come up for the first time elsewhere and possibly have questions/confusion left unaddressed. I am *not* condoning Key West being a great place for a child (I've been there several times and yes, it is party central) but I would want my kid to understand all walks of life and grow up with an open mind to make decisions for his or herself as they grow.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:02 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,108,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limehousemiller View Post
Florida will be forced to legalize gay marriage because it will soon be the law of the land, making any moronic bans completely irrelevant.
the supreme court ruling didn't undermine Florida's ban if anything it reinforced it. What the court said was that the federal government had no authority when it comes to defining what marriage is and that it had to respect the rights of the states that legalized it. like wise the federal government wouldn't be able force states to recognize same-sex marriages. so in short it was a ruling in favor of states rights.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:25 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,010,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
the supreme court ruling didn't undermine Florida's ban if anything it reinforced it. What the court said was that the federal government had no authority when it comes to defining what marriage is and that it had to respect the rights of the states that legalized it. like wise the federal government wouldn't be able force states to recognize same-sex marriages. so in short it was a ruling in favor of states rights.
At the same time states used to make interracial marriages illegal. The Sup Ct in Loving v. Virginia indicated that marriage was a fundamental right. I agree that Marriage is a state right. But Florida wont recognize a NY gay marriage. What happens when a gay couple has an accident in Florida and decisions need to be made in a Florida hospital? At some point, just like Civil Rights for blacks, gay marriage on a whole will come up. IMO it will be passed within the next 5-10 years, as it should. I am a big supporter of state rights, but individual rights are the most important right of all.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:06 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,108,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
At the same time states used to make interracial marriages illegal. The Sup Ct in Loving v. Virginia indicated that marriage was a fundamental right. I agree that Marriage is a state right. But Florida wont recognize a NY gay marriage. What happens when a gay couple has an accident in Florida and decisions need to be made in a Florida hospital? At some point, just like Civil Rights for blacks, gay marriage on a whole will come up. IMO it will be passed within the next 5-10 years, as it should. I am a big supporter of state rights, but individual rights are the most important right of all.
I'm all for giving gays the same legal rights, however I am against calling a same-sex couple a marriage.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:31 AM

652 posts, read 1,653,659 times
Quote:
I'm all for giving gays the same legal rights, however I am against calling a same-sex couple a marriage.
How bout garage?

and you aren't all for the same rights if you split hairs over what it should be called when it is a marriage. Calling a rose by any other name would still smell as sweet.

and how is it fair that a straight couple can meet in Vegas and get married the same day, but a gay couple that has been together for 30 years or more can be barred from their partners deathbed in a hospital?

Old 08-14-2013, 03:15 AM

360 posts, read 1,909,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
You think being gay is a "lifestyle" that someone can "disagree" with? I wonder, do you also "disagree" with my brother's "deaf" lifestyle? Or how about the red-headed lifestyle?

Don't go to Key West.

Gays ARE visible in Key West, and are an integral part of the town and its culture. See those restored conch homes? Guess which group was a major part of the restoration and preservation effort?

The one end of Duval has several gay bars, including two drag bars, which most people would find fun - gay or straight - but will certainly be taken by someone like you as "shoving a lifestyle" down your face. Not too mention there's drinking and partying all on Duval, and you may get the "straight lifestyle" shoved in your face as well, such as when the guy advertises "t*tties and beer" at the upstairs bar. You know those straights though, such deviants.

Stick to the deep south and maybe Orlando to entertain the niece. Suppose she'll have to wait to college to get a taste of the real world.
lol another way of looking at it tables turned

Old 08-14-2013, 06:18 AM

116 posts, read 226,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
OP - The fact you're asking this question tells us that Key West isn't the place for you to take your niece. If you are so concerned about her seeing two gay people holding hands or kissing, you might want to visit another part of the Keys. FYI, you can't "influence" someone to become gay.
The way a child is raised can absolutely influence their emotions, preferences, etc.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:40 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:

It's inevitable. The tide has turned. The generational shift has occurred. Frankly everyone I know under about age 35 is for gay marriage, and ambivalent towards social conservatism on this issue. The ones under 35 that are against gay marriage and rights tend to be... let's just say... not the brightest bulbs... stunted and confused by dogma and often have bizarre cultural hangups.

But anyway, it's not about "you." It's about treating all tax paying citizens with equality and affording them the same rights under the law. Maybe if gay people were able to pay a pro-rated share of taxes you could argue they should only be entitled to less than full rights. But that's not how it works. In fact, a bunch of illegal immigrants these days seem to extract more protection and

If you do not want to view same sex marriage as "the same" is YOUR burden to bear, not anyone else's. Plenty of people, if they could, would still outlaw interracial marriages.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:43 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT97 View Post
The way a child is raised can absolutely influence their emotions, preferences, etc.

Not for whether or not they like boys or girls.

It may affect their ATTITUDES towards gay folks, but not whether or not they themselves will be gay. That's why plenty of kids raised in strict religious households end up gay, and kids raised in gay households aren't more likely to identify with being gay.

Research has shown that in contrast to common beliefs, children of lesbian, gay, or transgender parents:
•Are not more likely to be gay than children with heterosexual parents.
•Are not more likely to be sexually abused.
•Do not show differences in whether they think of themselves as male or female (gender identity).
•Do not show differences in their male and female behaviors (gender role behavior).

Children with Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Parents

Old 08-14-2013, 08:57 AM

411 posts, read 832,222 times
Quote:
Sorry brother, but there is not one valid reason why same sex couples cannot get married, and people who do not spend their days huffing gasoline and sexually assaulting their children realize this, and will demand loudly that this horrible discrimination against people come to an end.

A law will soon be passed at the Federal Level making all of the anti-gay nonsense laws and moronic rulings invalid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida