Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2013, 07:30 PM

7 posts, read 25,712 times

Advertisements

I am a "floating manager" for a retirement company that has over 30 locations in Florida. I will be filling in at various locations all across the state. I am looking for a good central location on the water that is safe, inexpensive and will be fun for a single 50 year old male. I see that Daytona Beach looks somewhat affordable. I will be renting an apartment as I have to stay mobile. Although I have always thought about eventually buying a condo in Florida. I love the gulf side. I would say that Sarasota is my favorite place in Florida so far. But It's a little farther south than I would want to go. I guess looking at the map Spring Hill or Daytona Beach look logical. I am not into Golf or the bar scene. More of a health fanatic. Love to exercise, ride the waves, and just be active outdoors. I am looking for suggestions. Thank you for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 09:25 PM

501 posts, read 1,882,365 times
Thumbs up Welcome to Daytona Beach!

I love living in Daytona Beach as an active fitness/health nut. There are some great Farmer's Markets, Health Food stores and great gyms. You can eat really healthy here if you allow fresh seafood and especially enjoy ethnic cuisine: Asian/Pacific, Middle-East and Indian. (Otherwise there is a LOT of pizza, Italian and BBQ ) I can buy freshly-made sushi as a take-out at Publix.

You'll find plenty of healthy singles here that are your age -- you'll just have to take a few classes and become social to find them (instead of clubs/bars).

Rents on the water are easy in Daytona Beach -- just be clear about your parking options prior to signing your lease. i.e. reserved space, garage, guest parking, etc.

Daytona Beach has amazing opportunities for all types of sports like canoes/kayaking, swimming, fishing, surfing, skiing, boating, bicycling, walking, sailing, jet ski's, golf -- and even parachuting (in tandem!)

It's also in a great location to access to National/State Parks in Central/N. Florida and day trips to St Augustine, Gainesville and of course, Orlando and JAX area.

There are a lot of events and festivals of almost everything imaginable: music, sports, racing, motorcycle, arts and conventions.

There is an excellent minor league baseball team, Daytona Cubs, which has games all summer long in the stadium downtown on the waterfront. Tickets are only $7/game. Awesome!

It's a great town for walking around and riding a bike -- people who surf now bring their boards to the beach on their bike. Also, people of all ages zip around on skateboards and scooters downtown.

Good Luck!

Old 08-17-2013, 07:31 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
The St Petersburg/Clearwater area would be more your speed in my opinion as it has more of a professional community versus Daytona Beach, which tends toward more Blue Collar/NASCAR/Biker-like. I'm not knocking Daytona, it's fine for some but doubt it is what you're looking for given your occupation and interests.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:18 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salatheel1965 View Post
I am a "floating manager" for a retirement company that has over 30 locations in Florida. I will be filling in at various locations all across the state. I am looking for a good central location on the water that is safe, inexpensive and will be fun for a single 50 year old male. I see that Daytona Beach looks somewhat affordable. I will be renting an apartment as I have to stay mobile. Although I have always thought about eventually buying a condo in Florida. I love the gulf side. I would say that Sarasota is my favorite place in Florida so far. But It's a little farther south than I would want to go. I guess looking at the map Spring Hill or Daytona Beach look logical. I am not into Golf or the bar scene. More of a health fanatic. Love to exercise, ride the waves, and just be active outdoors. I am looking for suggestions. Thank you for your input!
If you like Sarasota but it's too far south, I think you would enjoy St. Pete as Kyle suggested. We lived in Sarasota and absolutely love it, and St. Pete is our next favorite city. I agree that it would be more your speed than either Spring Hill or Daytona. Plus no beach in Spring Hill, and Daytona is on the Atlantic not the gulf. Good luck!

Old 08-17-2013, 07:18 PM

7 posts, read 25,712 times
Is the crime in St. Pete bad? I have been robbed in the past and a safe area is high on the list. Also I am really into health and fitness. Would like to be close to a good gym and healthy restaurants as well.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:46 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,586,689 times
Spring Hill, Fl. is also considered the sinkhole capital of Florida, there is a very small beach called Pine Island, not alot of nightlife around here either. St. Pete, has nearly everything your looking for, good luck on your search.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:10 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salatheel1965 View Post
Is the crime in St. Pete bad? I have been robbed in the past and a safe area is high on the list. Also I am really into health and fitness. Would like to be close to a good gym and healthy restaurants as well.
St Pete has a higher crime rate supposedly but like pretty much every other city in Florida it's compartmentalized into areas you wouldn't live in or spend any time in. In my opinion most areas of the state are pretty safe as a result and of course like anywhere in the US with a significant population, one should be aware of their surroundings. There are many neighborhoods in St Pete with what you're looking for and would recommend specifically Downtown St Pete, Northeast St Pete/Gateway and the Tyrone/Jungle Terrace areas in your instance.

Surprising St Pete
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida