Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think gun control would be beneficial in the State Of Florida?
Yes 21 31.34%
No 46 68.66%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 03:29 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times

Advertisements

I think too big of a deal is made out of deaths resulting from firearms..

Take away gun deaths by suicide, gang bangers, domestic violence; how many gun deaths are truly just random? Of course there are some, but not to the extent I think it should be such an issue as many people are making it out to be. Concentrating resources on safe driving, cars, and roads would save more people's lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 03:51 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,223,411 times
If we had more gun control, we wouldn't have moments like this to enjoy;

A man is accused of pistol-whipping a Dunkin' Donuts employee over an unsatisfactory coffee order - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Old 08-22-2013, 04:27 PM

411 posts, read 831,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Clearly, if the Dunkin' Donuts manager was armed the outcome would have been even more humorous. Somebody needs to slice Alexis Longo's throat and then shoot Jeffrey Wright in the head, because we need to take these two out of circulation really quick.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:59 PM

515 posts, read 1,347,852 times
There are more people killed in alcohol related traffic crashes every year than in firearm related murders, yet I don't see anyone calling for reinstituting prohibition.

Gun control has always been a "feel good" movement. Instead of looking at large numbers of statistics, crime rates, and the comparison to areas with strict gun laws and more lax gun laws, proponents of gun control always focus on individual incidents. They exploit things like school shootings by bringing emotional family members into the spotlight along with celebrities to tell a story and get sympathy. It's hard for anyone out there not to feel sorry for a person whose innocent child was murdered. It's been the same thing in this thread. All the gun control proponents have done is post links to individual stories. The actual research that has been posted has shown that gun control isn't effective.

The problem with all of that is that emotional pleas and personalizing random events doesn't tell the whole story. Various studies have been commissioned by universities and other independent, unbiased groups who have studied empirical data and found out that gun control simply doesn't work. You can pass "feel good" legislation to limit magazine sizes or prohibit a rifle from having a folding stock, but that's not going to have any affect on crime. That's a proven fact.

I'd say that about 95% of cops are against gun control, and various surveys have cops have shown that street level officers are generally against gun control at a higher rate than the general population. That's pretty telling information, as cops face threats from guns at a much higher rate than the average person. The thing is that we are all smart enough to know that whatever the laws are, the criminals aren't going to follow them.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:11 PM

1,507 posts, read 1,974,464 times
I carry every day. I have a 9mm on my side and a 12ga by my bed. I pity the fool.
There will be no gun control in Florida. Its one of the most liberal states for gun ownership there is. I just bought my 4th AR at Walmart a month ago. A nice new Colt M4 223. Its really the 6920 with magpul fur. on it. As far as mags go I have been stocking up. I do not worry about Fla, but the fed. I hope the mid terms can slam down any hope of any control over the congress for the big O. Lets make his last two years lame as lame duck gets. Send him back to Chicago and goodby.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:56 AM

411 posts, read 831,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
I carry every day. I have a 9mm on my side and a 12ga by my bed. I pity the fool.
There will be no gun control in Florida. Its one of the most liberal states for gun ownership there is. I just bought my 4th AR at Walmart a month ago. A nice new Colt M4 223. Its really the 6920 with magpul fur. on it. As far as mags go I have been stocking up. I do not worry about Fla, but the fed. I hope the mid terms can slam down any hope of any control over the congress for the big O. Lets make his last two years lame as lame duck gets. Send him back to Chicago and goodby.
People that shop at Anti-USA companies like Walmart and people who view guns as something more than a tool should not be allowed to have any guns. We really need to watch people who think carrying a gun around with them makes them safe.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:55 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limehousemiller View Post
People that shop at Anti-USA companies like Walmart and people who view guns as something more than a tool should not be allowed to have any guns. We really need to watch people who think carrying a gun around with them makes them safe.
This is the problem with Liberals. You really have no business "really watching people" at all. MYOB, kthx.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:02 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
So you think that because he beat the guy with the gun he wouldn't have used another object absent a gun?

It's LAUDERHILL, that's how they roll down there.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/bro...obref=obinsite

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/201...-several-shots

http://www.woodtv.com/news/local/ken...ed-in-rockford

This story is funnier:

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/201...cops-passenger

So cute though, Liberals thinking you can fix crazy and idiot thug with "laws" assaulting the freedoms of abiding Americans.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 08-23-2013 at 06:46 PM..

Old 08-27-2013, 05:43 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,352,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Of course it would be good-- it's a no-brainer.
Look at countries like the UK and Australia-- they have very strict gun control laws and do not nearly have as much gun death per capita as the US.

The US is such a violent country and mass shooting after mass shooting keeps on repeating itself and will continue to do so until some serious gun control is put into place.

Facts are facts and statistics don't lie-- the US has more gun deaths than any developed country in the world. I mean, why wouldn't we want more gun control?
Honestly, if it were up to me-- I would have guns banned outright-- no one gets guns except law enforcement agencies.
I used to agree with this but we will need guns when the feudal lords mobilize their redneck cossacks.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:36 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,884,494 times
Default Guns control to be or not to be?

I do agree that there is a "Feel Good"" Movement for gun control. In the age of I-Pads and the Metrosexual Male (what ever that is) we still have crime and those who prefer to go for the Gangster life style.
Fact is the Police can not be there at a snap of a finger.

Legal side arms and weapons are not the problem. We have social media that praises violence with the so called rap music. We have very interactive games that promotes killing . Just a few years ago such bad taste would not be condoned by the record industry and we did not have the level violent games.
We have young people who are addicted to these games and probably in extreme cases determining Fantasy vs Reality are blurred.

These games and this "Art Form" Liberals call modern society is running over in street in violence. These same folks even go as far to say "whites are Hateful". Gee I wonder where they get that from?

As Citizens we need to protect our selves with out fear of prosecution. The right to Defend is on of life's basics!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: