Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 06:22 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,007,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigtnelson View Post
Here's what I think. While Miami is likely the right answer, there are great mom and pops in every Florida city. Most people (especially the "experts" on this forum) generally have no idea what they're talking about at any given time, and likely judge each city by what restaurant signs they see protruding above the treelines from the highway.
I don't think in the era of the internet, with chowhound, and countless other sites, that there hidden gems that stay hidden, if a mom and pop shop is putting out really good food people will find out, the reality is the majority of those shops are mediocre at best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 07:15 PM

443 posts, read 558,504 times
Who said anything about "hidden gems?"

Old 08-18-2013, 07:23 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,594,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
For Cuban there are many small mom and pop places in Ybor City.
For Spanish try the Columbia in Ybor City. Yes they have grown into a small chain but the original still stands in Ybor. It is the place for anybody who is anybody ate at in the 50's-60's. Not sure when they started expanding. Success does have a tendency to grow. No need now to drive so far for really good food.
Tried the Columbia in Downtown West Palm Beach, it sucked and went out of business a couple of years ago...

Old 08-18-2013, 07:25 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,594,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
I don't think in the era of the internet, with chowhound, and countless other sites, that there hidden gems that stay hidden, if a mom and pop shop is putting out really good food people will find out, the reality is the majority of those shops are mediocre at best.
I prefer Yelp personally, but I have used Chowhound and Urbanspoon too for another perspective.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:50 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,574,375 times
I only pay attention to one rating. That is how my tasted buds and eyes and ears rate a place.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Who said anything about "hidden gems?"
Your point was that some of the best food is in mom and pop shops that most people don't know about, my point is that you don't see many unknown mom and pop shops anymore really good mom and pop shops people rave about on boards and they mostly expand and stop being mom and pop shops.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:51 PM

443 posts, read 558,504 times
Nope, wrong again. Never said anything about them being unknown. I think you're wishing I had so your point would be valid. What I said was that most people don't take the time to do any research whatsoever and judge on what they on the side of busy roads.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Nope, wrong again. Never said anything about them being unknown. I think you're wishing I had so your point would be valid. What I said was that most people don't take the time to do any research whatsoever and judge on what they on the side of busy roads.
If most people dont know about them, wouldnt that make them unknown? Anyhow you know what you meant better than me so I most likely took you out of context. I just took a road trip with my kids up US19 through the panhandle to NO, I made it a point to eat at mom and pop shops along the way, the food was pretty dismal, I generally hate chain restaurants but at least they are consistently crappy which helps you manage expectations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida