Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 05:25 PM

652 posts, read 1,652,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
Stop driving with your hazard lights on in the rain, hazard lights are for STOPPED VEHICLES ONLY, the only exception to this rule is a funeral convoy.

Is this a Florida thing? because I have only seen this moronic behavior here and most of the time the people doing have a I <3 NY bumper sticker...
I've only seen this in a blinding rain where visibility is extremely bad. I've never done it, but it doesn't matter to me if others do it. I've used my hazard lights while driving but only if I was going half the speed limit because I was having car problems and was trying to get to a safe area or gas station.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:10 PM

137 posts, read 407,696 times
This is a decent topic and one of my favorites.

There is a reason that the emergency flasher law is on the books. When visibilty is low, the less distractions we have the safer we can drive. In pouring down rain, the use of flashers makes it even harder for other people to see the roadway. Plus, our brains are programmed to notice certain things and instantly recognize them, especially when we are doing something as mundane as driving. Without thinking about it, most of us instantly think that seeing two bright red lights on the rear of a vehicle means that the vehicle is braking. Seeing one flashing light on one side of the rear of a vehicle normally means it is getting ready to turn or change lanes. When we are faced with something a little different, like emergency flashers, our brain has to overcome its normal reaction to seeing two bright lights on the vehicle or vehicles in front of us. Its only going to take a millisecond for us to realize what is going on but the distraction is still there. Now that our brain has determined that the red lights are not brake lights its going to assume that all the lights are going to be emergency flashers. Then, once it is faced with vehicles that are actually stopping, its going to have to go through the same process to come up with the proper reaction to the meaning of the lights.

This probably makes absolutely no sense to anyone but me but I figured I would give it a shot anyway.

Just remember, slow down, eliminate as many distractions as possible, and arrive at your destination safely.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:18 PM

411 posts, read 831,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM1822 View Post
This is a decent topic and one of my favorites.

There is a reason that the emergency flasher law is on the books. When visibilty is low, the less distractions we have the safer we can drive. In pouring down rain, the use of flashers makes it even harder for other people to see the roadway. Plus, our brains are programmed to notice certain things and instantly recognize them, especially when we are doing something as mundane as driving. Without thinking about it, most of us instantly think that seeing two bright red lights on the rear of a vehicle means that the vehicle is braking. Seeing one flashing light on one side of the rear of a vehicle normally means it is getting ready to turn or change lanes. When we are faced with something a little different, like emergency flashers, our brain has to overcome its normal reaction to seeing two bright lights on the vehicle or vehicles in front of us. Its only going to take a millisecond for us to realize what is going on but the distraction is still there. Now that our brain has determined that the red lights are not brake lights its going to assume that all the lights are going to be emergency flashers. Then, once it is faced with vehicles that are actually stopping, its going to have to go through the same process to come up with the proper reaction to the meaning of the lights.

This probably makes absolutely no sense to anyone but me but I figured I would give it a shot anyway.

Just remember, slow down, eliminate as many distractions as possible, and arrive at your destination safely.
Just an outstanding post.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:46 PM

515 posts, read 1,347,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM1822 View Post
Most people aren't smart enough to understand things like human factors in driving, perception/response time, and expectancy. They would rather just do what they want based upon their misguided perceptions.

Old 08-24-2013, 04:53 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,882,380 times
Default Its Pretty Darn Scary!

I have drove to Arizona and back a few times and all you see is just white. Just pull over and wait. Besides if you run your 4 ways you can burn out your Flashers.

Even the bright lights just reflect back. I have 4ea 130 watt desert lights on the roof plus 2 80w plus in the Steel Bumper of my Desert Truck. (My Sherman Tank) which I can wait to turn it into a swamp Truck!

Yes by all means pull over be safe. Your life is not worth it! Let the crazy just go by!

Old 08-26-2013, 01:41 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
National Weather Service Station of Miami posted this news on their facebook page: Hazard lights in the rain: the law explained to Florida drivers

Old 08-26-2013, 02:29 PM

411 posts, read 831,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
National Weather Service Station of Miami posted this news on their facebook page: Hazard lights in the rain: the law explained to Florida drivers
Thank you for posting this article. In the comments section, lotta dem people be sayin nu-ughhhh, that they don't care what the law or science has to say about the use of hazard lights, they are still going to drive around like full blown morons with their hazard lights.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:39 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
The FHP spokesperson says if visibility is so bad that you cannot see, pull over in a parking lot, plaza or somewhere safe until conditions improve. [LEFT]
[/LEFT]
Thats exactly what i;ll do if a parking lot is just a matter of making a right turn, if i'm on the interstate and the next exit is some miles distant in a blinding downpour theres no way i'm parking on the side of the road just inches from moving traffic, i'll be going slow with hazards on to advertize to those behind me that in my opinion there is enough of a hazard for me to be using the hazard lights.
If the cops feel justified in giving me a ticket then so be it, if limehousemiller feels its justification for a gun fight then i'm prepared for that as well.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:39 AM

641 posts, read 1,020,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
if limehousemiller feels its justification for a gun fight then i'm prepared for that as well.
watch out folks, we got us an internet tough guy lol

Old 08-27-2013, 08:38 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
watch out folks, we got us an internet tough guy lol
Give credit where credit is due , heres a real tough guy.
//www.city-data.com/forum/flori...g-florida.html
I'm just prepared to stand my ground if some one wants to start shooting because i'm using hazard lights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida