Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 07:44 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,192,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
macguy, i can understand your frustration but i still think that we all care. the problem is what to do about it. since this is impacting the realtors significantly, i would think that they would have started more of a movement to bring the voters on board with them. there is not much an individual can do except sign a petition or vote. (unless someone has any other ideas out there). i send emails to all the government officials, but they are largely ignored, especially by crist, who just gives press conferences saying how great this is all going. i bet you could get 90% of the voters on board with a no property tax bill. local governments spend too much as it is on frivilous projects. in our county they are thinking of adding a gas tax to generate more revenue. those bastards will always raise more money so we need to eliminate one large source of revenue for them.
Voters are to scared or just to stupid to vote for anything even if in the long run it's in their best interest. The problem with democracy I am afraid is, your fate is in the hands of what are, for the most part, idiots, the general public. The same public who bought platform shoes they couldn't walk in and wore cowboy hats because they saw the movie "Urban Cowboy".

We are a culture of faddists , easily fooled, easily conned, easily influenced, and politicians know it. All they have to do is threaten us with a few red herrings and we will run with our tails between our legs falling right in lock step. There are no free thinkers in this country anymore, just sheep. I'm sorry, I have no faith in this country. This Florida tax thing is just one more thing confirming my belief.

We are not a free country, we are just a bunch of sheep herded around by those in power under the illusion we have a choice what direction we are going. You watch what happens between now and Jan 29th. After all the promises and all the BS, they delivered what is essentially nothing and will do everything they can between now and the vote to scare the dopey voters into not supporting even this tiny pittance we have been offered.

Then later after it is defeated they will say, "Well, we tried and the voters have spoken", as they vote themselves another pay raise. It is as if they want to plunge this state into disaster. So what now, what do we do, take up arms?
You want to start a petition, I will be happy to sign it. But be sure to write it on toilet paper, at least it will be of some use later. I'm sorry, thats how I feel.

Last edited by macguy; 11-14-2007 at 08:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 08:10 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Voters are to scared or just to stupid to vote for anything even if in the long run it's in their best interest. The problem with democracy I am afraid is, your fate is in the hands of what are, for the most part, idiots, the general public. The same public who bought platform shoes they couldn't walk in and wore cowboy hats because they saw the movie "Urban Cowboy".

We are a culture of faddists , easily fooled, easily conned, easily influenced, and politicians know it. All they have to do is threatened us with a few red herrings and we will run with their tails between their legs falling right in lock step. There are no free thinkers in this country anymore, just sheep. I'm sorry, I have no faith in this country. This Florida tax thing is just one more thing confirming my belief.

We are not a free country, we are just a bunch of sheep herded around by those in power under the illusion we have a choice what direction we are going. You watch what happens between now and Jan 29th. After all the promises and all the BS, they delivered what is essentially nothing and will do everything they can between now and the vote to scare the dopey voters into not supporting even this tiny pittance we have been offered.

Then later after it is defeated they will say, "Well, we tried and the voters have spoken", as they vote themselves another pay raise. It is as if they want to plunge this state into disaster. So what now, what do we do, take up arms?
You want to start a petition, I will be happy to sign it. But be sure to write it on toilet paper, at least it will be of some use later. I'm sorry, thats how I feel.
Bingo (with rep)!!!

Let'em keep watching television, consuming more than they produce, and, sooner or later (sooner at this point, I'm afraid), they'll get what they deserve.

Unfortunately, however, it rains the same on both the just and the unjust.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:54 AM

132 posts, read 472,176 times
Well, call me a product of Florida School system...I didnt understand a word of that proposal...is this part of the mistique? Can someone convert the governese into English for this would be outta here floridian? LOL I cant vote for or against if I dont understand....duh! thanks

Old 11-14-2007, 09:08 AM

167 posts, read 470,125 times
The voters OK'd pregnant pigs as a constitutional ammendment and unfortunately they will pass this also.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debi1957 View Post
Well, call me a product of Florida School system...I didnt understand a word of that proposal...is this part of the mistique? Can someone convert the governese into English for this would be outta here floridian? LOL I cant vote for or against if I dont understand....duh! thanks
You have to read it over and over, I found myself reading it out loud and stopping to be sure I got it. I still don't understand the portability thing. If I sell a $500,000 home and buy one for $200,000 how does it work in real numbers? I wish someone on here who understands it could give a dollar example because I don't get it. There is no way, no way, the average voter will understand this. I don't think it is meant to be deceptive, just it is hard to understand.

It also says you have a limited time to use the portability. So what does that mean, if I sell my house I have to buy another house in one year? Suppose I have my house up for sale and buy another house before I sell my first house can I still do it. Suppose I own an investment house now and want to make that my main house can I carry my portability to the new house even though I didn't just buy it?

Suppose I sell my house and after a year haven't yet found a new house can I apply for an extension on the portability or is it lost? Real world people will have a lot of questions on this, who is going to answer them in the next few months and can you trust the answers? Believe me, you are not the only one who doesn't understand it.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:26 AM

2,141 posts, read 6,906,187 times
Its a joke, They had to put something up to look good. I don't like it but Crist has no clue and if he has a clue he won't say it. Check out this bull crap. Crist staying positive about Florida's economy and on the other hand how will we cover the shortfall ?
Economists Unsure of Fla.'s Path | TheLedger.com

Old 11-14-2007, 10:37 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
You have to read it over and over, I found myself reading it out loud and stopping to be sure I got it. I still don't understand the portability thing. If I sell a $500,000 home and buy one for $200,000 how does it work in real numbers? I wish someone on here who understands it could give a dollar example because I don't get it. There is no way, no way, the average voter will understand this. I don't think it is meant to be deceptive, just it is hard to understand.

It also says you have a limited time to use the portability. So what does that mean, if I sell my house I have to buy another house in one year? Suppose I have my house up for sale and buy another house before I sell my first house can I still do it. Suppose I own an investment house now and want to make that my main house can I carry my portability to the new house even though I didn't just buy it?

Suppose I sell my house and after a year haven't yet found a new house can I apply for an extension on the portability or is it lost? Real world people will have a lot of questions on this, who is going to answer them in the next few months and can you trust the answers? Believe me, you are not the only one who doesn't understand it.
Me too. I don't know what the heck it says and how that would apply in real life.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:30 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
All I know is that I just got through flushing over 10,000.00 down the toilet in the form of property tax. This is a big drag on the economy and will be the catalyst for the next property crash. What do they do with the money? Waste 50% of it on useless spending.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:56 PM

628 posts, read 1,315,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Me too. I don't know what the heck it says and how that would apply in real life.
I have a limited understanding of the math but here goes:

Say you want to down size- The market value of your current home is $500K. The market value of your new home is $300K. The assessed value of your old home is $250K under the current SOH. The assessed value for your new home would be $150K.

Heres the math:

MV New Home divided by MV Old Home times Assessed Value Old Home = Assessed Value New Home

If you are moving up then you would simply take the difference between the market value of your old home and the assessed value of your old home. This figure would then be subtracted from the market value of your new home to give you the assessed value of your new home

Hope this helps
John

Last edited by Jareb; 11-14-2007 at 01:06 PM..

Old 11-14-2007, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jareb View Post
I have a limited understanding of the math but here goes:

Say you want to down size- The market value of your current home is $500K. The market value of your new home is $300K. The assessed value of your old home is $250K under the current SOH. The assessed value for your new home would be $150K.

Heres the math:

MV New Home divided by MV Old Home times Assessed Value Old Home = Assessed Value New Home

If you are moving up then you would simply take the difference between the market value of your old home and the assessed value of your old home. This figure would then be subtracted from the market value of your new home to give you the assessed value of your new home

Hope this helps
John
And then off that number the homestead deduction comes off? In this case with the new $50,000 the taxable value would be about $100,000?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: