Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Spanish become the official language of Florida?
YES! 33 14.80%
MAYBE! 3 1.35%
no 187 83.86%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2022, 08:11 AM

18,426 posts, read 8,258,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Also, saying that in both they use stucco when in fact it isn't widespread in Hawaii is not very honest.
this is called setting up a strawman....to try and prove yourself right....LOL

whether it's wide spread or not....has nothing to do with it....and no one said widespread

https://smithbrothersconstruction.co...ure-of-hawaii/

keep in mind....thatch and bamboo don't hold up as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2022, 04:51 PM

141 posts, read 115,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
you know guys....Florida is the land of little fake spanish haciendas

...most of those names were kept/used because they promoted that...exotic....Florida is the land of tourists and gimmicks
This is spot on. The same goes for stucco and tile roofs which others have mentioned, which have been employed for the "exotic", "Mediterranean" look people from northern states have historically found alluring. These do not reflect a direct lineage to imperial Spain, or has the Spanish language predominated for most of the time Florida has been widely settled.

Old 06-20-2022, 04:52 PM

11,402 posts, read 5,960,793 times
I think Swahili should be the official language of Florida. Or maybe Basque. Or Navajo. Yes, definitely Navajo. That should be the official language of Florida, just becuz.

Old 06-21-2022, 10:00 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,393,301 times
If Spanish became the official language of Florida, that'd be kinda cool. I already know lots of "Spanglish" and would love to be able to speak more fluently. It's a pretty language! I'd be happy to trade american English lessons for lessons in columbian spanish, Puerto Rican spanish, Mexican spanish, equadorian spanish, and cuban spanish.

I could teach them Boston accents, New York accents, Nashville accents, midwestern accents, Texas accents, and California accents. It'd be fun. And we'd all end up with a better eduation.

Old 06-21-2022, 10:13 PM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lessman View Post
This is spot on. The same goes for stucco and tile roofs which others have mentioned, which have been employed for the "exotic", "Mediterranean" look people from northern states have historically found alluring. These do not reflect a direct lineage to imperial Spain, or has the Spanish language predominated for most of the time Florida has been widely settled.
Have you ever been to Spain?

You guys are delusional from what I can see. Florida isn't the only state where northerners move to in droves, yet stucco and tile roofs are more widespread in Florida (under Spanish rule for more time than anyone else except the Native Americans) than any other state on the eastern seaboard. You know the Spaniards ruled up to northern Florida, right? From Georgia and upwards it was the English and other folks, but not Spanish. You know things like stucco in homes becomes much more rare once you pass the border of Florida into Georgia, right?

The common denominator is that stucco and tile roofs in the USA are much more common in the parts that were a part of the Spanish Empire than elsewhere in the country. You hardly see it in Hawaii or Oregon or Colorado, Illinois, New York, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, not even in Georgia or Louisiana. You certainly see it a lot in Southern California, Arizona, Southern Nevada, FLORIDA, etc. You also see it a lot in Puerto Rico which is a territory of the USA, but was under Spanish rule since the 1500's almost to the 20th century.

Last edited by AntonioR; 06-21-2022 at 10:35 PM..

Old 06-22-2022, 05:00 AM

18,426 posts, read 8,258,982 times
Quote:
yet stucco and tile roofs are more widespread in Florida (under Spanish rule for more time than anyone else except the Native Americans) than any other state on the eastern seaboard. .
George Merrick and Addison Mizner were not spanish......the style is Mediterranean Revival...and they brought it from California

Old 06-26-2022, 07:10 AM

141 posts, read 115,119 times
Quote:
Have you ever been to Spain?
Quote:
You guys are delusional from what I can see.

It's not delusion, it's the truth. The style was and still is a marketing gimmick, though it is indeed inspired by classic design from Spain and the Mediterranean. It does not enjoy a direct lineage to Spanish rule in Florida, however.

Most of Florida was developed long after the collapse of the Spanish Empire, so if you're looking for some historical justification for making the official language Spanish, there just isn't one. The high incidence of spoken Spanish we see today is owing to the US relaxing its immigration policies in recent decades and admitting refugees and immigrants from Latin America in great numbers.

If you truly think it's a good idea to drive a giant wedge between Florida and the rest of the country by erecting a linguistic barrier then I don't think you should be accusing others of harboring delusions.

Old 07-01-2022, 02:44 AM

2,072 posts, read 1,640,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limehousemiller View Post
Should Spanish become the official language of Florida?
I lived in FL for over 13 years. Spanish was not common in North FL or the Panhandle. There were Spanish speakers in the area but not a "clear majority". North FL is mostly "southern" with descendants of the old Confederates from long ago. By contrast, South FL has a large population of people who are Puerto Rican, Cuban American, Columbian American, Brazilian American (they use an "s" instead of "z" I think), Haitian American, etc.

But here is the difference from perception. South FL has a blend of different dialects of Spanish. I had a Dominican friend who told me he thought Puerto Ricans spoke "Spanglish" rather than pure "Spanish". I know that people familiar with the area can discern between Cuban and Columbian accents. The point is that the dialect of Spanish is not unanimous in that area.

And the Brazilians typically speak Portuguese. The Caribbean Americans often speak French as well as English. There are also indigenous people like Seminoles in the area who still speak that language (albeit a very small percentage).

So, the concept of a "Universal Spanish Dialect" isn't realistic even for South FL. But it is true many people in the area speak some dialect of Spanish, but they will often disagree on the degree of formality and pronunciation, proper dialect, etc. I understand that Spaniards from Spain (peninsulares) often mock the dialects of Spanish that have evolved in the colonies.

Old 07-01-2022, 11:01 AM

18,116 posts, read 11,749,491 times
Question from OP: "Should Spanish become the official language in Florida/USA?
Answer to OP: Absolutely NOT! Nowhere in America.

A secondary American language should be ASL which is English in sign language. People in America born and raised here who are either deaf, mute or both. I believe ASL should be taught as American (English's) secondary language. I learned later in life, Sign Language is not universal.

ASL = American Sign Language

Spanish is not an American language. Can be voluntarily learned as well as Italian, French, and other desirables. When the Mayflower ship full of Italians and French came to Ellis Island - they sold their wares and specialties in Chicago/New York City by speaking in English? Am I correct?

Old 07-06-2022, 06:43 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,626,290 times
Oh hell no !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida