Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Spanish become the official language of Florida?
YES! 33 14.80%
MAYBE! 3 1.35%
no 187 83.86%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 01:56 PM

652 posts, read 1,643,894 times

Advertisements

In 100 years we will all be speaking Chinese anyway.

Unless Spanish speaking people keep immigration here the language will be mostly lost amongst the next generation. Many of the offspring of Hispanic immigrants speak some Spanish, but they grew up here and their children would most likely never learn Spanish. I know children of bilingual parents who don't know more than a few words in Spanish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 02:22 PM

411 posts, read 826,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowSoFlorida View Post

Unless Spanish speaking people keep immigration here the language will be mostly lost amongst the next generation. Many of the offspring of Hispanic immigrants speak some Spanish, but they grew up here and their children would most likely never learn Spanish. I know children of bilingual parents who don't know more than a few words in Spanish.
You make an excellent point. The conservatives and the large multinational corporations, like Wal-Mart are doing everything possible to sell the USA out to the Chinese, so maybe we all should just start learning the language now to make the transition easier for us all.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:32 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,283,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
except that florida wasn't always a english speaking area. for a long time we belonged to spain and in fact for the majority of our state's history(286 years) spanish was the language and that's where our state's name comes from( la florida). so considering our state's history I think both languages should be used at every level of state government.

Oh yeah, the Spanish were REAL successful at colonizing Florida, huh? Did such a great job at building a civilization on the peninsula! What is there... like one city that can trace back to the Spanish? St. Augustine?

And by the way, in the 120 years-ish since ceasing to be "Spanish," the original Spaniard settlers would have all become American, and it's doubtful any of their descendants would - or do - speak Spanish as a tradition passed down the generations.

Just as how Dutch is no longer an official language of "New Amsterdam," despite their founding the place, and how Louisiana doesn't have French as an official language.

Spanish is important in Florida today because of NEWCOMERS (who culturally co-opt the accomplishments of the Spanish as their own) that voluntarily came here AFTER Florida had long been American and English speaking.

When in Rome........

Old 08-22-2013, 03:46 PM

21 posts, read 188,144 times
NO! This is the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA! English only.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:55 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,089,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
I am all for that, but it would be symbolic, are you talking about only hiring state employees who are bilingual, what would having spanish as an official language mean in practicality, History aside if you go to citrus county, dixie county, the panhandle how many spanish speakers you think are there.
I think that when make both languages official it means that they both can be used in all official functions. but that does not mean that other languages are excluded. it simply means that those are the 2 languages that government would be conducted in. As for the employment question not necessarily everyone would have to speak both languages .But there must be someone in every department who is bilingual. As for education I think that all students would have to take spanish and english classes every year but it would be up to each individual county to decide in what language they would want to teach the other subjects in. courts would be bilingual and so would the legislature as well as any other government function could be done in both languages.

Old 08-22-2013, 04:01 PM

4,836 posts, read 11,950,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
except that florida wasn't always a english speaking area. for a long time we belonged to spain and in fact for the majority of our state's history(286 years) spanish was the language and that's where our state's name comes from( la florida). so considering our state's history I think both languages should be used at every level of state government.
Your push for Spanish does not follow any logic. Give up, it's never going to happen.

So I guess a good chunk of the country official language should be changed to French too right? Lousiana purchase.

I'm glad you think having COURTS in two languages would be efficient? That is nuts. So lawyers could ask questions in Spanish, the judge would need a translator if they don't know Spanish. One side will be writing pleadings in Spanish the other in English. No one would want to do business in Florida. And then if the state case was moved to federal court everything would have to be translated to English.

This is nonsense, why am I even replying.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:55 PM

1,980 posts, read 2,082,460 times
@IrishTom. Belgium is being torn apart by language strife. Only Brussels is officially bilingual, and the language tensions in the city are palpable. Switzerland has four language regions, but only one is the lingua franca in its region.

@ All: In Florida, English is the official language. Spanish will never become official because the state legislature would never pass a dual-language bill, just as Miami-Dade won't consider a dual-language bill in that county. First of all, Florida Anglos and non-Hispanic immigrants generally speak no Spanish at all, and don't need to learn it, as almost all Spanish-speakers in Florida can speak decent English (most in fact speak good to excellent American English). Hispanic kids attend Florida universities that operate 100% in English, so they all learn to speak excellent US English. What Florida does provide is Spanish services for older monolingual immigrants in its courts, police stations, hospitals, and government agencies (just as New York City provides this in Spanish, Korean, Chinese and Russian). Florida is a state of immigrants, but English is the state's lingua franca. That won't change anytime soon, if ever.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:06 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,570,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowSoFlorida View Post

You mean Mandarin, in 100 years the USA might not be the USA anymore and Florida will probably be akin to Waterworld.

Surging Seas / States / Florida

Old 08-22-2013, 09:22 PM

210 posts, read 302,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthus1 View Post
NO! This is the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA! English only.
Freedom of speech.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:37 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,089,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Your push for Spanish does not follow any logic. Give up, it's never going to happen.

So I guess a good chunk of the country official language should be changed to French too right? Lousiana purchase.

I'm glad you think having COURTS in two languages would be efficient? That is nuts. So lawyers could ask questions in Spanish, the judge would need a translator if they don't know Spanish. One side will be writing pleadings in Spanish the other in English. No one would want to do business in Florida. And then if the state case was moved to federal court everything would have to be translated to English.

This is nonsense, why am I even replying.
I actually wouldn't mind louisiana adopting french as a second language or hawaii adopting japanese as a 3rd language or alaska adopting russian as their second. if another language is useful in another region of the country then their is no reason for one only one language to be used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida