Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 02:00 AM

9 posts, read 47,814 times

Advertisements

It is a possiblity that we might move. I cannot or will say will not live where it is cold, I've been in paradise way too long. I am wondering if anyone has done this before and can tell me in what ways it might be the same or different. Right now, we are just considering it. I am divorced and trying to make it here on my own with 2 boys, and one who is Downs syndrome. There is no such thing as affordable homes here. I am in no way ready to buy, just be renting. But, rent for a 3 bedroom home starts at $1800 here on the Big Island. The place we are currently considering would be Spring Hill Fl. as we have relatives there. One pro about moving would be for my children so much more for them to do, like Walt Disney World, Chuckie Cheese, parks, wildlife... etc.... here it is just the beach. Not to mention more services available for my special needs son. Although the cons to this is really there is no place on earth like Hawaii. You really don't worry about your kids being kidnapped and killed here. Yes, there is crime everywhere. But, here just real laid back - local style of course, I'm not local, I'm holie - but I've been here almost 20 years, with a brief couple years move back to Illinois. Where I'm origonally from. Oh and I must say I am terribly afraid of tornadoes.... we don't have those here, and rarely get a hurricane, but I've been told it is pretty safe in Spring Hill - they didn't feel much from those last storms. Anyway I would love any reply, as it could help us decides what we should do, I know how to struggle, but if life could be more enjoyable in Florida I'm all for it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2006, 04:52 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
Wow, to me that would be a tough choice. I've been to the Big Island and Volcanoes National Park is a magnificent place, also we enjoyed seeing the sea turtles and the incredible tree ferns and other vegetation on the rainy side.
But I can see why you might seek more services for your child with Downs syndrome.
We are paying $1000 rent for a 3 bed/2 bath here in northwest Florida but there is certainly not all that much in services here--doubtless it would be better in the area you are looking at.
I've heard that life can sometimes be tough for haole kids in Hawaii.
I guess you have a lot of things to consider as you make your decision, and I probably have not been all that much help. Good luck!

Old 10-08-2006, 06:41 AM

269 posts, read 1,057,047 times
Well, you're doing the right thing by not considering anyplace cold. I was at Kaneohe and Guam for three years and when tried going back home to PA. We nearly froze to death...lol.

Spring Hill is an up and coming area, makes a great inexpensive place to raise a family. If you're making the move, and you have family in SH, I can't think of anything that should discourage you.

Old 10-08-2006, 07:21 AM

5,701 posts, read 24,157,323 times
I did a search under "down syndrone clinic florida" and the following is available at Jacksonville:
Florida:
Down Syndrome Center
Hope Haven Clinic
4600 Beach Bouleva
Jacksonville, FL
Phone: 904-346-5100

I do live close to Pnsacola and the cost of living is not too bad, rent will average up tp $1,200.00 per month in Fort Walton Beach, Navarre, Pensacola, & Crestview.

The center at Jacksonville is a 5 hour drive. But the one at Alabama is about 3 hours.

Alabama:
Children's Hospital of Alabama
1600 7th Avenue South
Birmingham, AL
Phone: 205-939-5151

http://www.ds-health.com/
The weather in the Panhandle is great, does get a bit coll in winter, but no snow. The hurricanes are a problem, but does not matter in Florida, we all get the impact one way or another. Good luck in your researxch and move.

Old 10-08-2006, 07:40 AM

799 posts, read 3,693,017 times
I don't live in Florida, I am looking to relocate there also from Texas.My sisters boyfriend moved from Hawaii to Clearwater and he likes it. Cost of living is lower and Spring Hill is nice(according to him and my sister). Hawaii sounds like an awesome place to live but only if you can afford it. I personally fell in love with Florida when I went to visit. I am just waiting for Homeowners insurance to become affordable, if that happens! Good luck to you and your children!

Old 10-08-2006, 09:12 PM

Thank you all so much for your thoughts on this matter of moving! Or Mahalo as they say here. But, I'm still as confused as before! This isn't happening overnight so we have time. And thank you Sunrico90 for the Downs syndrome areas. What about schools? Actually Hawaii isn't known for their great schools, as children are usually behind in academics here. Hawaii has a poor school system. We give our oldest extra out of school tutoring and of course my youngest will always be behind. What are some other fun things about Florida for kids? What about jobs? Jobs are abundant here in Hawaii, pay is decent but not for cost of living though. From what I have read Florida jobs don't pay well. Are all the beaches crowded? Also, will be keeping my eye out for a man... a decent one that is, are they abundant? - silly question, I don't think there are any! Sorry guys, just kidding... But, you women will understand. I appreiciate all your responses, keep them coming, convince me!
Aloha, Kepi

Old 10-08-2006, 09:29 PM

Kepi,

You might want to network with Down Syndrone Association of Central Florida. They should be able to provide direction to the school question and provide links to others sites.

http://www.dsacf.org/for-parents.html (broken link)

What are some other fun things about Florida for kids? The beach, amusement parks (Disney, etc), camping, fishing, NASCAR, and everything under the sky. Is up to the family.

What are some other fun things about Florida for kids? The beach, amusement parks (Disney, etc), camping, fishing, NASCAR, and everything under the sky. Is up to the family.

What about jobs? Is all relative to the area, search job web-sites and salary.com is great.

Are all the beaches crowded? Depends in the area and time of the year.

Old 10-09-2006, 04:41 PM

6 posts, read 17,299 times
Hi Kepi

Im in Destin, FL in the panhandle (northwest florida).

Our school system is top notch, beaches aren't too crowded (sometimes around holidays), plenty of jobs (don't know about pay), rent ranges between $950 & up for a 3 bedroom depending on the area you want to live, camping, best fishing in the world, a new YMCA is under construction, lots of festivals (seafood, mullet, wine, music). As for men, well, I'm still in that search too! lol

I have some photos of the area if you'd like to see more. I'll see if I can get them on here.

Old 10-11-2006, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepi View Post
It is a possiblity that we might move. I cannot or will say will not live where it is cold, I've been in paradise way too long. I am wondering if anyone has done this before and can tell me in what ways it might be the same or different. Right now, we are just considering it. I am divorced and trying to make it here on my own with 2 boys, and one who is Downs syndrome. There is no such thing as affordable homes here. I am in no way ready to buy, just be renting. But, rent for a 3 bedroom home starts at $1800 here on the Big Island. The place we are currently considering would be Spring Hill Fl. as we have relatives there. One pro about moving would be for my children so much more for them to do, like Walt Disney World, Chuckie Cheese, parks, wildlife... etc.... here it is just the beach. Not to mention more services available for my special needs son. Although the cons to this is really there is no place on earth like Hawaii. You really don't worry about your kids being kidnapped and killed here. Yes, there is crime everywhere. But, here just real laid back - local style of course, I'm not local, I'm holie - but I've been here almost 20 years, with a brief couple years move back to Illinois. Where I'm origonally from. Oh and I must say I am terribly afraid of tornadoes.... we don't have those here, and rarely get a hurricane, but I've been told it is pretty safe in Spring Hill - they didn't feel much from those last storms. Anyway I would love any reply, as it could help us decides what we should do, I know how to struggle, but if life could be more enjoyable in Florida I'm all for it!
Are you still confused? Give us feedback

Old 10-12-2006, 06:32 AM

Cool still confused

Hey everybody,

I have to say first you are all so nice and caring - I'm glad to see that the aloha spirit is there too! That is one thing I would miss forsure here as there is lots of aloha. Like in town traffic, people will let you out and give you a shocka sign. Other places people won't even look at you, cause they know you'll signal to them and they just don't even want to acknowledge you and be nice. Oh well, you can't have everything.

Really the school systems would be of great importance to me. A lot of you have been giving me different counties, but I am not familiar with that, town/city names would be easier for me to check into until I am more familiar with Florida.

I keep thinking how wonderful travel would be as I have family in Illinois and to see them I have to fly 4500 miles, that is just basically giving up a day of hell with planes and airports. I also am scared to fly... figures that I live on an island. I am terrified of a lot of things, I have issues - really they are just phobias, as many have them. Anyway you can drive on the mainland anywhere you want to go or I could force myself to take a 2 hour flight, instead of 12 hours of torture! That is deffinetly a pro. I'm sure there are some cons too.

My mom was telling me there isn't any soil? It's just sand! She is visiting right now in Spring Hill and having a wonderful time shopping! Her aunt is selling her house for $250,000 in that area and I thought that sounded a bit pricey? Is is for that area? I think its a 4/2 with a pool, on a large lot. But as much as I have been reading about people not being able to sell and taking offers I was thinking that was high $$$.

Also jobs would be good too, yes I must work - not finacially well to do...... I wish as then I probably wouldn't be moving. Oh, where are the horses in your state? Do you have horse country? I am very much a horse person plus would like to get my son into that activity - would be wonderful for him.
How is the pay scale there? What is min wage? Thats great about the state tax! Theres a pro too! I have no college under my belt, so will finding a good job be very difficult? I have worked for newspapers for 10 years in classifieds, composing and camera dept. so I always figure I can fall back on that if I must. At the moment I do paper routes, don't laugh - it works I can be stay at home mom this way! Plus the weather is great for it and it is safe here!

Speaking of that do we have to worry about our children being kidnapped everytime they are outside? Any safer neighborhoods more ideal for family life? Crime is a scary thing, but in a big city it just goes along with it. It it pretty easy going life over here, no worry kin - kick back and relax style. Is is possible to find that in Florida. Okay I have yapped here enough....... but I want you all to know I do appriciate all of your imput! Much aloha from Hawaii! Kepi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida