Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 07:40 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times

Advertisements

When there is no other way, blame the politicians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
The bottom line is that industries that require intellectual expertise (i.e Bachelors's degree) are severely lacking in the state of Florida. Our politicians never took much interest in attracting such jobs to this state because they don't have to. They can always fall back on tourism to give the masses jobs and provide tax revenue.

Whats pathetic is that it works. People still flock to Florida by the hundreds of thousands. The college graduates often have to leave the state to find meaningful work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 07:55 PM

I see that the problem was created when everybody born since 1970 was told that they must have a college degree to get a job. This has caused an over abundance of people who are book smart but have no experience. They want top dollar because of their degree yet they are clueless on how to do any particular job. They cant accept a lower paying job thanks to that incredible debt. To boot, they are shocked that jobs are not out there just waiting for them in their field of study due to the sheer numbers of them. So instead of becoming an electrician, a plumber, mechanic, chef, or some other job where you have to use your hands they all went to get educated expecting a desk in an office someplace. Great. Now they have a piece of paper, a huge debt and cant afford to hire an electrician, a plumber etc. The "job market" for all these educated folks was never there. They were convinced it would be. The economy cant provide jobs for all these educated people and they are suffering and will continue to suffer. Now they can all sing the Stones mantra "We won't get fooled again". This holds true throughout the country. Then to make matters worse, they want to relocate to places that cant absorb them and their requirements. None of these educated people will start in the mail room and work their way up so they will be facing unemployment or employment in some other area besides the one they
spent the time and money to prepare for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
No it's not 1950 anymore in Florida but all the baby boomers who grew up in the good'ole days of the 50's are moving here in droves. Cant' say their grand kids will be doing the same in 50 years, I highly doubt it.

Florida is severely lacking good jobs in many sectors for degree holding candidates, aside from Medical and Wealth Management there isn't much there with the given population and outflow of graduating students. I speak from experience, I hire a lot of interns and full-timers from the local pool of colleges and beyond. Many complain on how tough the job market is here, some have friends who majored in Engineering and they are taking jobs out of their sector because they cannot find anything here. Many are a planning on moving because the COL is too high here or the work is just not there. Brain drain is a real big problem in this state. Even if you can find a job, the salary will often be below market. Some of my interns and recent grads have upwards of $100K in student loan debt.

Laying down a blanket statement that there is widespread growth in all sectors is not the case, the influx of Baby Boomers is not going to create jobs in one sector but it may create jobs in another, albeit often low paying service jobs for many. If you have a degree in Electrical Engineering, odds are your going to be looking for work in tech, those Baby Boomers are not going to be creating tech jobs in Florida.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:19 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,593,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I see that the problem was created when everybody born since 1970 was told that they must have a college degree to get a job. This has caused an over abundance of people who are book smart but have no experience. They want top dollar because of their degree yet they are clueless on how to do any particular job. They cant accept a lower paying job thanks to that incredible debt. To boot, they are shocked that jobs are not out there just waiting for them in their field of study due to the sheer numbers of them. So instead of becoming an electrician, a plumber, mechanic, chef, or some other job where you have to use your hands they all went to get educated expecting a desk in an office someplace. Great. Now they have a piece of paper, a huge debt and cant afford to hire an electrician, a plumber etc. The "job market" for all these educated folks was never there. They were convinced it would be. The economy cant provide jobs for all these educated people and they are suffering and will continue to suffer. Now they can all sing the Stones mantra "We won't get fooled again". This holds true throughout the country. Then to make matters worse, they want to relocate to places that cant absorb them and their requirements. None of these educated people will start in the mail room and work their way up so they will be facing unemployment or employment in some other area besides the one they
Not arguing the "sense of entitlement" among some college graduates, I see the attitudes with my interns and recent college grads, a few I had to discipline with respect to this and a couple I did not bring on full-time because they expected too much too soon, but this has nothing to do with job prospects and salaries here. Some degrees are not in demand, just a sad fact and colleges market these with all the glitz and prestige but do not tell you the realistic job potential after graduation.

"Won't get fooled again" is a song by The Who not the Stones.

The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again - YouTube

Mail room? I never seen one only in the movies...

The Baby Boomer generation was born between 1946 - 1964, quite a wide range of ages. The day's of not going to college or some kind of technical training will lead you down a road to nowhere often like Wal-Mart or McDonalds. Odds are your not going to land a job that has equal benefits, pension, job security and salary progression that your grandparents or parents had. Just is not going to happen. Sure the world needs trades people, but those jobs take technical training and skill.

Electrician: Takes training, knowledge, education and then certification.
Plumber: Same as above
Mechanic: Same as above, and getting harder with car technology getting beyond what a shade tree mechanic can fix, cars are way more technically advanced than they were 10-20 years ago. Working on a Hybrid with no training or proper equipment could kill you, literally.
Chef: Training, Culinary School and etc.

In the good ole days before a China, many people worked in factories doing skilled labor or trades, machinists, tool and die makers and etc. Learned their trade from old timers, apprenticeships...those days are gone, many of those jobs will never come back. So there goes a big number of "Trades" jobs that many will not have an opportunity for.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:59 PM

57 posts, read 129,278 times
Back in the 60's and 70's I had friends that started out in the mail room, in some big companies and worked their way up to some lucrative jobs. Not that way, anymore, I don't think.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:22 PM

Why not? All things are possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorninPittsburgh View Post
Back in the 60's and 70's I had friends that started out in the mail room, in some big companies and worked their way up to some lucrative jobs. Not that way, anymore, I don't think.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:25 PM

I agree with your post, especially on the training part. But if you want to be something you can. You just need to want it. Then get the skills necessary to do it. It does not require a college degree. Opps, yes, WHO not Stones. Old age causes memory to get confused sometimes.

Quote:
Not arguing the "sense of entitlement" among some college graduates, I see the attitudes with my interns and recent college grads, a few I had to discipline with respect to this and a couple I did not bring on full-time because they expected too much too soon, but this has nothing to do with job prospects and salaries here. Some degrees are not in demand, just a sad fact and colleges market these with all the glitz and prestige but do not tell you the realistic job potential after graduation.

"Won't get fooled again" is a song by The Who not the Stones.

The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again - YouTube

The Baby Boomer generation was born between 1946 - 1964, quite a wide range of ages. The day's of not going to college or some kind of technical training will lead you down a road to nowhere often like Wal-Mart or McDonalds. Odds are your not going to land a job that has equal benefits, pension, job security and salary progression that your grandparents or parents had. Just is not going to happen. Sure the world needs trades people, but those jobs take technical training and skill.

Electrician: Takes training, knowledge, education and then certification.
Plumber: Same as above
Mechanic: Same as above, and getting harder with car technology getting beyond what a shade tree mechanic can fix, cars are way more technically advanced than they were 10-20 years ago. Working on a Hybrid with no training or proper equipment could kill you, literally.
Chef: Training, Culinary School and etc.

In the good ole days before a China, many people worked in factories doing skilled labor or trades, machinists, tool and die makers and etc. Learned their trade from old timers, apprenticeships...those days are gone, many of those jobs will never come back. So there goes a big number of "Trades" jobs that many will not have an opportunity for.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:27 AM

663 posts, read 1,144,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
This what I keep telling people. Why the hell would you waste your time and money going to college only to get a job totally unrelated to your field. If I had kids I would tell them to consider a trade school. Electricians, plumbers, mechanics all do OK, and their not in debt out their arse.
If you are going to go to college, go for something in health care. That is the one field you are almost guaranteed a job.
My brother has a masters in Psychology, so he teaches tennis for a living. I work on the fire dept. I'll bet at least 25% of the job is made up of people that couldn't get a job in their chosen field.
I think education is great, but its got to pay off for you, otherwise it's an expensive way to obtain useless knowledge.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:16 PM

Especially troubling is those who strive for a liberal arts degree. I those are sure fire ways to wind up working at Macy's. My dad always said "if you want a job that you can take anywhere, get yourself a trade". Sure, education is great, it opens your mind to new thinking and understanding but you cant think and understand your way through life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyff67 View Post
This what I keep telling people. Why the hell would you waste your time and money going to college only to get a job totally unrelated to your field. If I had kids I would tell them to consider a trade school. Electricians, plumbers, mechanics all do OK, and their not in debt out their arse.
If you are going to go to college, go for something in health care. That is the one field you are almost guaranteed a job.
My brother has a masters in Psychology, so he teaches tennis for a living. I work on the fire dept. I'll bet at least 25% of the job is made up of people that couldn't get a job in their chosen field.
I think education is great, but its got to pay off for you, otherwise it's an expensive way to obtain useless knowledge.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:27 AM

9 posts, read 17,848 times
I found more than 1,000 jobs on Monster.com for engineering in the state of Florida.

Although Kennedy Space Center took a hit when the shuttle retired, it is going to be the center for commercial space efforts such as SpaceX/Elon Musk. There are a ton of high-tech spin offs in that area (and lots of strip clubs).

Industrial or occupational hygiene/engineering is a field that is in demand in every industry (avoiding workplace accidents) and the more certifications you get in that field, the more opportunities.

With all the retirees here and big time health centers - Mayo Clinic and M. D. Anderson - there will be growth and opportunities there including for industrial engineering.

Yes, people with minimal credentials and over-saturated occupations (communications) will have a tough time getting a job here but Florida has lots of opportunities if you position yourself.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:40 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:

That just shows your age and limited work experience. Mail exists. Have you ever seen a Post Office?

My kid started out in THE MAILROOM 5 years ago after being officially hired by the company he interned with during college. Within 2 years he was the most indispensable employee second to the two owners. They announced it at a meeting. Two years later the owners helped him set up his own company (took a couple points) and now he owns two.

And before you start eyerolling, it was a record label. Not some old fogey place like, say, Walmart, Apple, GM, AT&T, IBM, GE.

Let me google that for you

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida