Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 07:26 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,593,366 times

Advertisements

Not a surprise at all...

Census: Income is stagnant in Fla. | www.palmbeachpost.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 09:12 AM

27,168 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Perhaps to those that think Florida continues to be a paradise one moves to in order to evade higher taxes and property costs with the mistaken theory of "getting ahead". It cracks me up that people living in states where salaries are much higher trade that in for what we have here along with the expectation of an equivalent lifestyle.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:43 PM

861 posts, read 1,455,219 times
Thanks to eight years of Mr. Bush and now eight years of Mr. Obama.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:20 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,620,530 times
No, it's not really surprising.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:26 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
Very mistaken theory. I wish someone would inform all these "go getters" of that. They need to look elsewhere if they want to chase dollars. Its always been the way it is. A little research would tell the dollar chasers that they cant have it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Perhaps to those that think Florida continues to be a paradise one moves to in order to evade higher taxes and property costs with the mistaken theory of "getting ahead". It cracks me up that people living in states where salaries are much higher trade that in for what we have here along with the expectation of an equivalent lifestyle.

Old 09-19-2013, 03:01 PM

27,168 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFisher View Post
Thanks to eight years of Mr. Bush and now eight years of Mr. Obama.
I swear people need to take Civics courses again. It's more like thanks to a Congress that cannot agree on anything and would rather play partisan politics against one another....or the President. The Oval Office hasn't dictated domestic policy in quite some time.

Old 09-19-2013, 03:49 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:

On the other hand, there still is no income tax, property taxes are fairly low compared to many of the northeastern states, the sales tax has not gone up. Can't say that about many other states....look at CA,NY......

I'm a long-time Floridian, and while we never made a fortune working in Florida, I have nothing at all to complain about regarding our lifestyle....

Old 09-19-2013, 07:34 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
It also cracks me up when people come here thinking an entry level job will be OK because they will be living in the paradise of the sunshine state

Old 09-20-2013, 07:29 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,882,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
It also cracks me up when people come here thinking an entry level job will be OK because they will be living in the paradise of the sunshine state
Dito on that. They move here for Burger King and wonder why they can not make 50 K a year to support themselves>>>

Simply amazing and these same people bash our state because they have failed to plan a head.

Florida is not the land of "Milk and Honey"! Just like any town or state you got earn your way and it may have a few bumps in the road!

Old 09-20-2013, 08:30 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Many editorials fail to ask what is really going on 'behind the statistics' in their efforts to attract readership. IMO, a few factors disproportionately flatten-out Florida 'income by household' statistics. A more reliable 'income-by-specific-job' comparison would show far greater equity.

1). Over 75-million tourists visit Florida annually. This requires a much higher number of service-sector workers to staff hotels, entertainment centers, restaurants, etc. - than most non-tourist areas. This high number of service-sector jobs, skews the "average household income."

2). Florida also has a significantly higher percentage of residents on Social Security than the national rate. This also reduces the "average household income".

3). Editorials often 'spun data' in a variety of ways to make it appear that the writer has 'uncovered a major story.' Instead, the truth is that even with its lower overall cost-of-living and NO state income tax, Engineers, Doctors and other professionals in Florida -- earn comparable "incomes by job type" to the same professionals in other areas.

While some incorrectly try to paint Florida as a backwoods, low-paying environment, the fact that over 350,000 people move to Florida annually, suggests otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida