Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 05:20 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Why not? If they like the area. When u say "quality school" what do you mean? Yale? Harvard? Dartmouth?
When unemployment and wages are brought up you are quick to mention SH is a retirement community. Now it is a place for college grads? By quality I mean not a for-profit or local state "college". I doubt many are going to FSU and UF and thinking of moving to SH for a job.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:36 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,998,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Last I checked St. Pete IS on the coast.....

And what subsidy would that be for sinkhole coverage. I've had homeowner's insurance in Florida for well over 35 years,and I have never seen that, or any reference to it.

Methinks you don't know what you're talking about....
Not a direct subsidy like flood ins., but a subsidy nonetheless.

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/02/23/Op..._residen.shtml

Last edited by HarryWho?; 09-23-2013 at 07:00 AM..

Old 09-23-2013, 11:24 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Well, the job situation isn't really why I don't like Florida. I hate this state for so many more reasons. From the weather to the slow pace of life, it just isn't my thing. It hasn't been for as long as I can remember.

Also, I think the job market has healed a lot over the past two years. My resume has improved a lot this year and should get a much bigger boost in two weeks when I finish a certification that I have been pursuing for over a year now. A lot has changed since my last move and I am much more optimistic.

Well, I hope you're right about the job market, and I wish you luck.

I like Florida ( or I wouldn't be here), and I and my family have done well here, but I recognize that it's not for everyone and it does have it's share of problems. So I hope you'll find a good niche for you and you'll be happy, wherever it is!

Old 09-23-2013, 11:41 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
Not a direct subsidy like flood ins., but a subsidy nonetheless.

Opinion: Inland county residents shouldn't subsidize coastal sinkhole claims
Thanks for the link, and the clarification. The sinkhole "subsidy" comes from those policyholders in areas where Citizen's exposure to sinkhole damage is less by virtue of a lower population level. So those in Pasco County subsidize those in Hillsboro or Pinellas County. If they charged what they believed was the appropriate rate to those in the more populated counties, it'd be an increase of somewhere in the range of 5000-6000% ( as I saw in a proposal one time when I perused the Citizens' website when the rumblings started a few years ago about sinkhole coverage and Citizens' claimed they were losing their shirts on sinkhole claims) in those areas around Tampa, and somewhat less statewide. I lived in Miami at the time, and sinkhole activity is low there, so they were only proposing something like a 47% increase in policies for sinkhole coverage at the time.

They decided after that to cover only catastrophic damage from sinkholes, so I wonder how that has affected rates?

Old 09-25-2013, 07:38 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,885,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Well, I hope you're right about the job market, and I wish you luck.

I like Florida ( or I wouldn't be here), and I and my family have done well here, but I recognize that it's not for everyone and it does have it's share of problems. So I hope you'll find a good niche for you and you'll be happy, wherever it is!
Me too, If you have been away like I have one does appreciate the fine qualities that the regular guy or gal may over look. Slow pace , I don't think so. There is plenty to do.

WDW I love and Universal Studios. Way better than Disney Land in California.

Pay you got a point, but one almost has to leave and improve your carrier and return. I think from reading Wage Threads every does agree that Florida for years has been behind the wage curve. One should not have to pay for the Sun Shine!

Florida will be home no matter where the Good Lords Takes Us! Arizona hasfallen short of myexpectations and I have been here for 7years.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:53 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
If you have nothing beneficial to add to this thread then move along. You don't have to agree but there is no reason to attack others just because you disagree.

Discussion.. the action or process of talking about something, typically in order to reach a decision or to exchange ideas.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:05 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
I personally think and have stated previously that there is good and bad about every place. There are some people who are never happy where they live and move from place to place and sometimes back to the place they hated while they lived there.

No place is perfect and you would have to have blinders on if you think it is. It becomes a matter of if the things that make it not so perfect are enough of a pain to make you want to leave. You may love the beach and hate the traffic, you may love the weather but dislike your salary. There are always trade offs of some sort.

Those that chose to stay in FL because there are more things to love than there are to hate. Those that move down with no plan or job should look at themselves as that is never recommended no matter which state you move to.

If you aren't happy then you have the option of moving but don't expect those that do like living in FL to agree with you. Just because there are things that make you unhappy that they should be unhappy too. It is just that those things are not enough to make them unhappy.

I have seen people post how they hated FL because it was hot and the sun was always out. Really? You didn't know that when you moved to FL? So now you blame FL?

Old 09-25-2013, 11:48 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
Actually if you read all of my posts I always make it clear that Spring Hill was designed as a retirement community and indeed the earliest residents were retirees, but the demographics have changed over the years. There is a wide mix of people here age wise. Not only has the population zoomed since 2000, but so has the median wage for those who live here, although this info is a little dated.

Old conceptions of Spring Hill need to be retired and brought up to date. I don't see why a college grad, or anyone else for that matter, would not consider Spring Hill for their new place of residence. Tampa is an hour away via the Suncoast/Veterans expressway. There is nothing lacking here that you would find elsewhere. It is not the Spring Hill of the 1980's. The medical field is large here, a great place for college graduates who studied in that field. Folks in banking, insurance and finance can do well here also.

Here is some data found right here on CD:
Population in 2010: 98,621. Population change since 2000: +42.8%
[LEFT]Males: 46,818 (47.5%)Females: 51,803 (52.5%)

Median resident age: 44.3 years

Read more: //www.city-data.com/city/Spring...#ixzz2fvVVwG6o
[/LEFT]

Estimated median household income in 2011: $41,116 (it was $32,861 in 2000)
Spring Hill:$41,116

[LEFT]read more: //www.city-data.com/city/Spring...#ixzz2fvVcdQVh
[/LEFT]

For population 25 years and over in Spring Hill:

• High school or higher: 89.0%
  • Bachelor's degree or higher: 14.6%
  • Graduate or professional degree: 4.0%

Read more: //www.city-data.com/city/Spring...#ixzz2fvWEj1Wj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
When unemployment and wages are brought up you are quick to mention SH is a retirement community. Now it is a place for college grads? By quality I mean not a for-profit or local state "college". I doubt many are going to FSU and UF and thinking of moving to SH for a job.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:51 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
Indeed. Tradeoffs. I have brought that up before. Thanks for posting your thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I personally think and have stated previously that there is good and bad about every place. There are some people who are never happy where they live and move from place to place and sometimes back to the place they hated while they lived there.

No place is perfect and you would have to have blinders on if you think it is. It becomes a matter of if the things that make it not so perfect are enough of a pain to make you want to leave. You may love the beach and hate the traffic, you may love the weather but dislike your salary. There are always trade offs of some sort.

Those that chose to stay in FL because there are more things to love than there are to hate. Those that move down with no plan or job should look at themselves as that is never recommended no matter which state you move to.

If you aren't happy then you have the option of moving but don't expect those that do like living in FL to agree with you. Just because there are things that make you unhappy that they should be unhappy too. It is just that those things are not enough to make them unhappy.

I have seen people post how they hated FL because it was hot and the sun was always out. Really? You didn't know that when you moved to FL? So now you blame FL?

Old 09-25-2013, 03:29 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,622,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
If you have nothing beneficial to add to this thread then move along. You don't have to agree but there is no reason to attack others just because you disagree.

Discussion.. the action or process of talking about something, typically in order to reach a decision or to exchange ideas.
Perhaps you could combine all the threads on this subject into one. Even better would be to make a sticky. Deleting my post and reaffirming the OP's opinion is not exactly fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida