Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 10:19 PM

29 posts, read 99,306 times

Advertisements

YES!!! Yes, Lindsey... that's exactly my point!! What if... ok... these guys come to do some kind of work today... but then later on another day they decide to come back to do other kind of work? That's exactly how I feel ! It's insane not to worry about strangers who don't identify themselves and are stepping in our property uninvited.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:25 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon576 View Post
And no, I don't have guns in the house and I am serilously considering the legal and "humane" way of protecting myself: getting a good guard dog. I do have signs on my gate of beware of dog. I would not be liable if anyone came in without our consent.
Just my 2 cents:

You live in Florida, most people assume you might be armed, I would not inform them otherwise (don't tell them that you don't have guns...they probably do have guns themselves). It's fine if you don't want guns, but use the leverage you have - the unknown .

Please don't release your daschunds on anyone - one swift kick and your little dog is dead . This is leverage you don't have with small dogs, unfortunately.

A Rottweiler - or any large dog - is a world away from a daschund. Please do give serious consideration before purchasing such a large dog simply for the reasons if self defense. A home alarm system with cameras is a lot easier (and less expensive in the long run) than a Rottweiler. I adore Rottweilers, but too many people get large dogs like this and soon can't handle them - there are far too many in shelters already .

p.s.: I would freak out if someone trespassed on my property and they'd be very lucky if my 3 large dogs were not outside at that very moment .

Old 11-17-2007, 10:34 PM

Thank you Riveree for your kind words of wisdom! No I will never consider releasing my dogs on anyone. They're too small although I know they could do some minor damage, but oh boy... what a big damage it would be in them! I am still pondering what we're going to do. I called ADT today and asked about their services including the cameras. We already scheduled for a free home estimate in a few days. Do these really work? A lot of things have been going through my head since yesterday when this incident happened. I was up many times during last night, especially because my husband left for work at 1AM as usual. I was so scared but like I said in my heart I knew I did what I had to do. I could not let these guys think they could do it again. We pursued them after they left, and the 3 cop cars with lights and syrenes after them. At least they realize we are not joking around here. We will use the law enforcement services to protect ourselves. In no way am I ever going to break any laws, that's for sure.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:45 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
I personally would consider putting in motion sensing lights trained on your backyard. Remember if someone can jump your fence, they are then hidden from view from the road and can take their time breaking in.

I also would get to know your neighbors and discuss your safety concerns, sort of like an informal neighborhood watch.

I have curtains at every window so people can't see in and see IF someone is sitting at the TV or if there is something they want to steal. I also ALWAYS leave lights on in the house when its dark outside, both inside and out.

If I see anything remotely suspicous, I call the police, so do my other neighbors.

I know how you must be feeling, terribly vulnerable and affraid, I've been there. Once you start taking steps to make this better, it will help.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:59 PM

Quote:
I called ADT today and asked about their services including the cameras. We already scheduled for a free home estimate in a few days. Do these really work? A lot of things have been going through my head since yesterday when this incident happened. I was up many times during last night, especially because my husband left for work at 1AM as usual. I was so scared but like I said in my heart I knew I did what I had to do. I could not let these guys think they could do it again. We pursued them after they left, and the 3 cop cars with lights and syrenes after them. At least they realize we are not joking around here. We will use the law enforcement services to protect ourselves. In no way am I ever going to break any laws, that's for sure.
I'm not familiar with ADT's camera system. There are a lot of camera systems to choose from - you can buy some nicely priced systems at Sam's Club, Costco, just about anywhere now.

It's normal to feel a little paranoid after such a confrontation, but if these guys have any brains in their heads, they're going to steer clear of you - they don't want trouble with the police. You're now the 'crazy people' that called the cops on them......take some comfort in that .

Old 11-17-2007, 11:03 PM

Thank you for the tips, Lindsey! Yes it is very frustrating. I am kinda new in the neighborhood, we just bought this place end of March and really started living in it mid-May. Anyway, none of our neighbors talk to us. That's the way they are here. We pass by and greet them or wave, I'm not kidding... they turn their face the opposite direction!! And we live in a supposedly "friendly" neighborhood where the association supposedly have crime watch thingy. Well at the time this happened yesterday it was still daylight, all my neighbors around us were home, but do you think how many of them actually did something about it? NONE. So I felt so vulnerable, because actually I can't count on anyone. My family lives 5000 miles away, I told this story to my mom last night over the phone, she said she was so worried and wouldn't sleep. Sure enough she called me early this morning to know if I was OK, because she knows nobody cares where I live, and she knows my husband works nights. I slept on the couch all bundled up with blankets and my 3 dogs, I put a chair behind the front and back door (would it really keep anyone from breaking into the house? lol). Well to summarize... I was terrified. Still am. But anyway life goes on. I think that as time goes by our thoughts will come clearer and we will be able to figure what will be good for our safety here. I do have motion light on the back porch but still... it only comes on when you reach the door, and that will be too late. I personally don't have many material possessions, my concern is our personal safety really. Anyway thanks a lot for your input!!!

Old 11-17-2007, 11:05 PM

Thank you LIndsey! Yes it's true... they know I am brave enough to confront them and kick them out of here and still put 3 cop cars after them! Hey that was really fun after all. I felt like we were in a movie set!! LOL I think I'm watching COPS and CSI too much. I will look into the other type of cameras around, thanks a lot for the tips!

Old 11-17-2007, 11:06 PM

I'm sorry ... I meant thank you RIVEREE... LOL my brain is all messed up as is!

Old 11-17-2007, 11:14 PM

Quote:
And we live in a supposedly "friendly" neighborhood where the association supposedly have crime watch thingy.
Welcome .

Sounds like you have a Neighborhood Watch and you should report the incident to your Neighborhood Watch person. It's one step towards these guys not repeating what they did.

If for some bizarre reason your Neighborhood Watch person also "turns their back on you", there should be a contact number on the Neighborhood Watch sign (the metal sign posted in your neighborhood....usually by the entrance) where you can speak to the authorities running the Watch program .

Old 11-17-2007, 11:20 PM

Riveree... no there is no signs anywhere!!! LOL once we moved in we received the bylaws of the HOA from the previous owner, and they weren't doing anything about this HOA. Now in Oct. they just had a meeting where they decided to keep the HOA so we don't really know what's going on, nobody knows! I don't know who we can talk to, we're going to have to ask around! It's a mess. They still want to charge us the honorary fees but they are not doing anything!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida