U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 10:12 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,723,957 times

Advertisements

Year around yard sales. Today I got a bunch of stuff for like nothing. I even bought some gas masks. I have to admit though, if someone watched the Oprah show Thursday and Friday, it was a little disturbing although we are not that bad, but close. We need to open a thrift store or something.
Attached Thumbnails
A good thing about Florida-gas.jpg  

Last edited by macguy; 11-17-2007 at 10:38 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 10:32 AM

22,583 posts, read 50,460,582 times
I love yard sales, too. I didn't buy much in Florida, though. I felt that, in my area, there were so many gated communities, that there were less yard sales. I loved them in New England because you could actually get some gorgeous antiques.

Anyway, what was on Oprah?

Old 11-17-2007, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I love yard sales, too. I didn't buy much in Florida, though. I felt that, in my area, there were so many gated communities, that there were less yard sales. I loved them in New England because you could actually get some gorgeous antiques.

Anyway, what was on Oprah?
Inside the Lives of Hoarders with Peter Walsh, Parts 1 and 2

Florida it can be bad because you have no cellars to store stuff. Most houses don't even hardly have any closets. I go in friends houses that have storage containers used as end tables with clothes stored in them. Florida houses are just too small for todays families. You don't even have anywhere to park more then two cars without putting them on the lawn in many cases. That is why I have no remorse when I see those old quant Florida 1950's houses being bulldozed because they have outlived their usefulness. For a family today, I actually prefer the "Mc Mansion" as people like to call them, you need room today and an up to date house.

Last edited by macguy; 11-17-2007 at 10:50 AM..

Old 11-17-2007, 11:16 AM

6,993 posts, read 16,298,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Year around yard sales. Today I got a bunch of stuff for like nothing. I even bought some gas masks. I have to admit though, if someone watched the Oprah show Thursday and Friday, it was a little disturbing although we are not that bad, but close. We need to open a thrift store or something.
ummm what was on the Oprah Show?

Old 11-17-2007, 11:56 AM

1,669 posts, read 5,887,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
ummm what was on the Oprah Show?
Click the link in the reply above yours.

Old 11-17-2007, 12:02 PM

10,751 posts, read 33,534,772 times
I had a garage sale yesterday and today, I made somewhere between 600-700 bucks.

If your in Florida and your going to have a garage sale, I have learned something. The hard core garage sale people come out on Friday at the absolute crack of dawn, they go through the penny saver and local newspaper and plan their day that way.

We put out signs but you should pick them up at the end of the day even if your doing it again the next day because the police came around and took the signs we left out and we had to put out more this afternoon. Or course the signs brought in some people as well but the ones who really spent the money were the hard core folks from yesterday.

Old 11-17-2007, 12:17 PM

22,583 posts, read 50,460,582 times
Yeah know, I was thinking of buying gas masks since we live so close to Oak Ridge!

Old 11-25-2007, 01:48 PM

66 posts, read 304,786 times
I've cleaned up on yard sales too. And the weather for them is always great! Sometimes I keep the stuff, other times I put them up on eBay.

Old 11-25-2007, 04:07 PM

8,190 posts, read 29,718,072 times
I saw 7 different yard sales today alone. We were just cruising in one large neighborhood looking for a new house. It was sad how many people were selling everything, including their cars.

I wonder how many of those houses are soon to be abandoned......

Old 11-25-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
I saw 7 different yard sales today alone. We were just cruising in one large neighborhood looking for a new house. It was sad how many people were selling everything, including their cars.

I wonder how many of those houses are soon to be abandoned......
I would not attach any deep meaning to garage sales, they are a weekend ritual in Florida. Saturday morning mapping out our garage sale route is really fun. I bought all kinds of things today. By the way, I made $104.00 just on a few of the things we bought last week on ebay this week. I didn't list the gas masks yet though. I just sold a few collectables and some books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida