Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 06:58 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Small town paradise located in the farthest northeast corner of Florida, .......like Cape Cod before it was discovered by the tourists.

About Amelia Island | Amelia Island | Best Florida Destinations
They do not want to use a heater. They would need a heater up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 12:59 AM

65 posts, read 258,817 times
I've researched quite abit as we are moving to Melbourne, FL in seven months. Viera looked the best to us as the schools are all 8-10 in ratings, the housing prices are pretty good, there doesn't seem to be alot of crime, and there is a new shopping place called the Avenues and a nice movie theatre. It's hard finding that "perfect" place to move hey?. I realise I will probably have to give up my Falls (with all the pretty changing of the trees we had in Kansas) but its better than 5 months of winter. I don't want to have to use a heater either! :-)

There is also Cape Canaveral right close to catch cruises and the Brevard Zoo which is pretty cool. Yes, I've researched LOTS re Melbourne FL area. The new hospital does look pretty swank also and there is Friday night markets in downtown Melbourne also. There are 3 outdoor pools and a YMCA that watches kids from 6:30-9:30pm so that parents can have date nights....I am sure going to take advantage of this! And plenty of restaurants (Mexican, irish pub ect). :-)

Old 10-25-2013, 08:19 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,174,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellainoz67 View Post
I've researched quite abit as we are moving to Melbourne, FL in seven months. Viera looked the best to us as the schools are all 8-10 in ratings, the housing prices are pretty good, there doesn't seem to be alot of crime, and there is a new shopping place called the Avenues and a nice movie theatre. It's hard finding that "perfect" place to move hey?. I realise I will probably have to give up my Falls (with all the pretty changing of the trees we had in Kansas) but its better than 5 months of winter. I don't want to have to use a heater either! :-)

There is also Cape Canaveral right close to catch cruises and the Brevard Zoo which is pretty cool. Yes, I've researched LOTS re Melbourne FL area. The new hospital does look pretty swank also and there is Friday night markets in downtown Melbourne also. There are 3 outdoor pools and a YMCA that watches kids from 6:30-9:30pm so that parents can have date nights....I am sure going to take advantage of this! And plenty of restaurants (Mexican, irish pub ect). :-)
Living in Viera won't necessarily be heater free. It freezes here some winters. You just won't have to use it everyday for months on end . Maybe a day or could even be a week or two a year scattered out between December and March is usually about all the 40 degree or less temps we get.

Not really a new mall in Viera either. The Avenues has been there since 1990. As for fall..... we do get the colors but they are usually in Jan. or Feb. .

And don't forget to check out all the festivals in the area. Lots for families to do here. The fair is coming up soon,too. . Space Coast State Fair | 25th Silver Anniversary of Brevard's Biggest Fair

Old 10-27-2013, 07:20 AM

153 posts, read 357,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellainoz67 View Post

The Viera area is nice and I am a big fan of it, especially when it comes to young families. I was working yesterday by the regional park in Viera (Brevard County Viera Regional Park) and it was packed with families, kids playing sports and just full of life. The Viera Fall Festival / Oktoberfest (https://www.facebook.com/events/607414529269213/) was going on about 500' down the road and is a great time too.

The Avenues in Viera was founded in 1998 and has added lots of shopping and restaurants since then. They host a benefit for childhood cancer with proceeds going to the St. Baldricks Foundation around St. Patricks Day ]Having Fun In Florida: March 2013[/url]) and raised $250,000 last year. There is also a lot of new housing being built in the area, with the Avenues being right in the middle of it all and within a easy bike ride away.

We will be going to the Viera festival today and Boo at the Zoo tonight. With a little chill in the air it makes it really feel like the holidays, even if temps here are still hitting the mid 80's during the day. We'll post some pictures of it all later at

Last edited by in_newengland; 10-28-2014 at 11:29 PM.. Reason: advertising/spam

Old 10-27-2013, 10:48 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
The Melbourne area has around six weeks of "heating degree days" between January-March. The OP didn't want to use the heater at all.

Weather History for Melbourne, FL | Weather Underground

Old 10-27-2013, 03:07 PM

153 posts, read 357,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The Melbourne area has around six weeks of "heating degree days" between January-March. The OP didn't want to use the heater at all.

All three have a total of 10 HDD's average for the three month period. I live here in Melbourne and can tell you that is about right. Last year we had a few chilly days, maybe 15 - 20 total. The year before that it barely got below 70 all winter long and hit 90 in February.

Don't think that being cold in Central Florida is much of a concern, unless you live inland where it can be 15 degrees cooler than here. If you want be warmer than moving further south will help, but they still see the cooler weather down there too. We have never really had the need to use our heater from my memory, and if so it was only for a day or two when it got to 65 in our home. We wimps with thin blood and used to it being 90+.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:11 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,999,206 times
I live about 21 miles south of Melbourne and haven't used my heater for the 2 winters I've lived here. I don't really see it as much of a concern. The coldest it gets is just before daylight, but it's amazing how quickly it warms up as the sun rises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida