Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2013, 04:53 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,622,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Your facts will likely be ignored here
Probably! He's comparing Orlando to one of the most expensive cities in the country. One C-D member likes to make these comparisons all the time using NYC, LOL. Of course you will do better here on a lower income compared to those two metros.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 05:21 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
No, its not you. Some CD posters are insistent that only minimum or low wage jobs exist in FL.
I can only assume that those folks are in the low wage sector and while they realize there are better paying jobs, those jobs are out of their reach so they blame the state of FL for that situation or a city or town. That may be a reason they never leave. They could not survive elsewhere. They need the low paying jobs available to them just to stay afloat. Of course there are a few who believe that living in FL is the worse thing that ever happened to them yet they make no effort to change their situation. There is always a reason that holds them prisoner. A sick relative who needs their care, a job that they can't leave due to unknown reasons, a corporate relocation that has forced them to be here. Some are native to FL and just dont like the progress the state has made over the years. Anyone who actually enjoys the FL lifestyle is branded a "cheerleader" or nut job who has no idea what they are talking about because they know the "truth". When presented with verifiable factual information they will tell you that it is a government conspiracy that causes all the negative information to be buried or revised to show a positive light on the state. A few feel that most of the positive people are in real estate and are simply trying to sell homes or that they have some hidden agenda for enjoying the FL lifestyle. Some posters are under the impression that nobody could possibly be successful here. Strange but true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida-Dude View Post
Hi Chopchop0

Is it me since I am the newbie that some use scare tactics to keep people from moving here? I am sensing this on this forum.

Why not help each other and help those who want to move here and do well?

I never have looked back and been here in Florida 5 years. I dont think had I read some of the post in this forum back then that I would have moved here at all with all the neggies and scare tactics posted either.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:23 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,248,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
No, its not you. Some CD posters are insistent that only minimum or low wage jobs exist in FL.
I can only assume that those folks are in the low wage sector and while they realize there are better paying jobs, those jobs are out of their reach so they blame the state of FL for that situation or a city or town. That may be a reason they never leave. They could not survive elsewhere. They need the low paying jobs available to them just to stay afloat. Of course there are a few who believe that living in FL is the worse thing that ever happened to them yet they make no effort to change their situation. There is always a reason that holds them prisoner. A sick relative who needs their care, a job that they can't leave due to unknown reasons, a corporate relocation that has forced them to be here. Some are native to FL and just dont like the progress the state has made over the years. Anyone who actually enjoys the FL lifestyle is branded a "cheerleader" or nut job who has no idea what they are talking about because they know the "truth". When presented with verifiable factual information they will tell you that it is a government conspiracy that causes all the negative information to be buried or revised to show a positive light on the state. A few feel that most of the positive people are in real estate and are simply trying to sell homes or that they have some hidden agenda for enjoying the FL lifestyle. Some posters are under the impression that nobody could possibly be successful here. Strange but true.
I'm not seeing them kind of jobs in west Pasco.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:26 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
Probably! He's comparing Orlando to one of the most expensive cities in the country. One C-D member likes to make these comparisons all the time using NYC, LOL. Of course you will do better here on a lower income compared to those two metros.
San Francisco-San Jose have the highest median income in the country, yet the average person will still find it easier to live pretty much anywhere in Florida.

The people who love to complain about low wages, never seem to complain about the low rent prices or real estate prices. They imply they would be better off living in an area with high wages... well, San Francisco-San Jose have the highest wages in the US. You better get used to living with room mates even on a $60k salary!

Once again, why am I comparing Orlando to San Francisco? Why would someone compare Orlando to NYC? Because if you complain about living in an area with low wages, than you should compare it to areas with high wages (San Francisco, San Jose, NYC). Just because you make $30k more in XYZ, doesn't mean you'll be better off because it depends on the cost of living.

Tell me any major city where the median income is $70k, yet cost of living is similar to Orlando?

Old 12-28-2013, 05:26 PM

109 posts, read 143,759 times
Sad to know this. Each person should be responsible for their own decisions. It took me a year or two to get settled in here but it has been a true pleasure and experience of a lifetime.
Why do so many make it harder then it truly is?
Why discourage others so much? Why not give them the truth and let them make their own decisions.
As I was told by someone who moved here long before I did, do not move to Florida or any other state unless you have a back plan in case it does not work out.
Had a back plan then and it worked out for me. Like I said, I would not have moved here if I read some of these threads filled with scare tactics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post

Old 12-28-2013, 05:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,126 times
Quote:
And that's who moves to Florida, as a whole. Lower income retires and lower income people who've had it so bad in the NE that Florida actually looks good to them. I was in Pa not so long ago and yes Florida is way better. Now I'm from the North Georgia area and have lived in DFW. Both of those areas are leaps and bounds better than anywhere in Florida for quality living.

It's all relative. SF is one of the premier citites in the world. Orlando is a swamp turned into theme park heaven. No contest assuming you've got the money.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:49 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoekska View Post
SF is one of the premier citites in the world. Orlando is a swamp turned into theme park heaven. No contest assuming you've got the money.
It is all relative to each person.

For example, my GF lives in a $1.5 million dollar house in an above-average neighborhood in San Francisco. Money is no problem. I recently took her to Orlando (August) and she kept going on and on about how nice it was such as how so many of the streets are landscaped, how there was hardly any trash on the sidewalks, how there weren't hoards of homeless people everywhere, how the buildings look new, how the homes look so nice and big with actual yards, how the weather is so nice, how it's so easy to find parking and a few other things, but that's from the top of my head. She couldn't believe that it was so much cheaper and looking at her house to $1.5 million homes in Orlando shocked her.

Once again, it's all relative to each person.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:00 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
I agree. Before I came in 88, there was no internet. However there was Compuserve Information Service which charged $6.00 a hour to use. There I found an Orlando group who was very helpful with relocation questions and provided solid information on anything I asked. We even met them all at a get together they set up shortly after our arrival. Today we have the internet which is basically free to everyone so we see a lot of users who really could not give a dag about the information they provide, so long as it demeans someone or their ideas Why? I don't know.

A lot of the "negative nellies" like to incite arguments by stating their postings are factual. If you look at their postings in other forums it is the same game for them there too. It is necessary to look back at someone's previous postings to determine the veracity of their information. It is easy to determine those who are being ridiculous and those who are trying to be helpful and honest.

Actually, I wouldn't move anywhere without a back up plan in case it didn't work out for one reason or another. That is common sense. Relocation is an adventure in itself that can be very rewarding or very disappointing depending on what you already know in advance. For instance, I subscribed to the Orlando Sentinel Sunday edition for a year to keep abreast on the types of jobs that were available, the costs of groceries, the instances of crime, the instances of positive factors. It was almost like I knew exactly what to expect before I arrived.

Yes, relocation was a true experience of a lifetime. Everything for me changed completely from what I knew as "normal". Pleasantly surprised then and still am. Wifey went to renew her drivers license the other day and was in and out in 20 minutes from the time she walked in the door to the time she walked out with a renewed license. She was prepared with the proper ID which was required. Where I moved from it takes an entire day to accomplish the task as several different people are required for various steps in the process. Here it was one person who handled the entire transaction. I even paid my property tax in the same office, different section.

The scare tactics are ridiculous and a lot of the mis-information that gets posted certainly can dim hopes and change minds. Ive seen some of the craziest things I ever saw on here on CD including one last week which got to unreal proportions. One of the "facts" purported that Spring Hill was known as the "murder capital of Florida". That never happened. When I asked for facts to back up any of the postings I was ignored. The poster, who by the way was on their first posts under that username, simply disappeared. It seems there are a few folks who obtain multiple accounts and their first postings are always negative and untruthful to the point that they become obvious troll postings.

You will find posters who hate the weather, the native populace, the employment scene, the governor and the government of FL as as whole and just about anything else they can think of including the abundance of stores or lack of them, traffic, parking, the activity in downtown Tampa after 5 p.m., you name it, it gets covered here. Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, but the accuracy of some opinions are far off target. Happy reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida-Dude View Post
Sad to know this. Each person should be responsible for their own decisions. It took me a year or two to get settled in here but it has been a true pleasure and experience of a lifetime.
Why do so many make it harder then it truly is?
Why discourage others so much? Why not give them the truth and let them make their own decisions.
As I was told by someone who moved here long before I did, do not move to Florida or any other state unless you have a back plan in case it does not work out.
Had a back plan then and it worked out for me. Like I said, I would not have moved here if I read some of these threads filled with scare tactics.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:37 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Fine. Try other ones. It still works. Seattle?

Old 12-28-2013, 10:44 PM

4,156 posts, read 4,174,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
And there are plenty of minimum wage jobs available for the people with no skills or education lol.

Florida's minimum wage is $7.79
San Francisco's minimum wage is $10.74

So even for people on minimum wage, it's still an easier life in most Floridian cities than say San Francisco, which has the highest minimum wage in the country.

$40k is the median household income in Orlando (2011)
$154k is the median house/condo value in Orlando (2011)
Average 1 bedroom rent is around $850 (current)
Florida has no state income tax

$70k is the median household income in San Francisco (2011)
$720k is the median house/condo value in San Francisco (2011)
Average 1 bedroom rent is around $2,800 (current)
California has state income tax UP TO 13.3%
Actually if you are on minimum wage, it is actually better in blue state like Cali and NY. You will get free health and dental, food stamp. Get on low income house. You can be paying few hundreds a month and living in Midtown with a 1200 3/2 condo.

It is the middle class that is worst off. Those making 30k to 60k. Because you are qualify to pay tax, you are not eligible for any welfare benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida